New truck

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, ajmorell, KCDuckMaster

New truck

Postby kcduckslayer » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:27 am

I drive about 20,000 to 25,000 miles a year. I want 4x4 and I want to tow at least 5,000 pounds, and I want it to be a 4 door truck. I want a full size. My price limit is about $25,000. I dont care if its new or used. I can find a good number of trucks in the price range. Here is one of my questions. I can buy a f250 4 door 4x4 with the diesel engine. would that be a better way to go as far as gas mileage goes. I dont really pull that much, however I do like that fact that I can get a full size bed. I will own this truck for probably about 4 years at least. I dont really care what brand.
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:42 am

You are on the right track! You will see much better mileage with a diesel over a gas engine, even unloaded. Go for that Powerstroke!
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:50 am

say over the next 4 years and 80,000 miles which would cost less to operate and maintenance
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby goosecaller » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:34 pm

If you buy a diesel then you are going to be able to own it for a lot longer than 4 years. Better gas milage but the gas prices are up right now on diesel. Be aware that you may go through more front ends because the weight of the motor. But I would go deisel if you could. And buy a Ford.
call 'em in and kill 'em all
goosecaller
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:41 pm

What do mean mean by front ends? Bushings bearing?
kcduckslayer
hunter

Re: New truck

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:36 pm

kcduckslayer wrote: I can buy a f250 4 door 4x4 with the diesel engine. would that be a better way to go as far as gas mileage goes.

YES!

No matter what brand you git, the diesel is the only way to go in yer case. You drive alot, and want to be able to tow alot.

I like the Powerstroke myself, but will agree both the duramax and the cummins are not bad choices either.

I wish you the best of luck.
-Stouff

-------------------------------------------------
goosecaller wrote:If you buy a diesel then you are going to be able to own it for a lot longer than 4 years. Better gas milage but the gas prices are up right now on diesel. Be aware that you may go through more front ends because the weight of the motor. But I would go deisel if you could. And buy a Ford.

Yeah, the price of fuel is more, but when you are towing-- it will more than make up for that.

And as far as the "front ends" wearing out faster; I have NEVER heard anything bout that.

-Stouff
Last edited by AlaskaRedneK on Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:41 pm

I want the power stroke also. I just kept if vague because I didnt want a debate to get started
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:08 pm

Find a few year old super duty with the 7.3L powerstroke :yes:
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:32 pm

If you are looking for gas mileage, I would recomend a Cummins really. They are inline sixes, and will hold on to the mpg's for longer that the powerchokes or duramaxes. The Cummins also put out relatively the same amount of power. My dad drives a D-max and was getting 21 on the highway, but is now down to about 18 with 100,000 miles on it. I've heard the same thing about the powertrokes too.

As far as costing less to maintain, that is true as long as you don't have problems with it. Diesel repairs tend to cost a bit more.

I'm not a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge guy, but this is just stuff that I have heard and seen, but if I could afford it, I'd be driving a F250 with a powerstroke in it.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby goosecaller » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:47 am

By front ends I mean bearings, ball joints, U-joints, ect... I have replaced them three times on each side. But I drive down a lot of dirt roads and am pretty hard on my truck. But maybe others have not had this problem. I will buy another one though. THey are just great trucks.
call 'em in and kill 'em all
goosecaller
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:09 pm

Goosecaller, I know what ya mean now.

I have had to replace the ball joints on my F350 this summer, but that is after 8 1/2 years.

But I dont think that is any faster than a lighter gas engine. Could be wrong.. but I havnt heard of that.

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum