Oxford - Worth the effort?

Duck hunting in Mississippi is like no other. Learn why Mississippi Delta duck hunting is what we like to do best.

Moderator: Cephous

Oxford - Worth the effort?

Postby E Tilton » Tue May 24, 2011 11:41 pm

I'll be in Oxford for law school for a few years starting in August. It is a long way down from VA and I know I'm not bringing my boat - is it worth bringing down the rest of my gear? Do the WMA's afford enough opportunity to make it worth while to store all of my dekes, waders, guns, etc in my already-cramped apartment? I'm certainly willing to drive an hour or two out to a good hole, but I am unsure if any holes will really give what I am looking for considering I'll be boatless, dogless, and for now, hunting buddyless. I'll have several weeks off during the height of the season where I can't really leave the state for an extended period and might as well cut'em down, but if the opportunities aren't there for someone in my situation I'd rather not burden myself with bringing and storing all the gear.
E Tilton
hunter

Re: Oxford - Worth the effort?

Postby duckman27 » Tue May 31, 2011 11:56 pm

Yes it's worth bringing your gear. Theres not alot of WMA's but there are alot of just general public land hunting areas.
duckman27
hunter

Postby echoboy07 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:56 am

I'll be honest with you there is all kind of duck hunting in MS I hunt in batesville which is 10 minutes from Oxford but that is deer hunting. You can kill a limit pretty much any public land its how early you get there and how much bs you are willing to go through. The last week of the season we got there at 1am just to get a good spot. Your best bet is to make some buddys that have some private land or someone who has a lease. There are tons of ducks in MS so dont let anyone lie to you, you just have to know where to go. You can go to Askew MS which is about thirty minutes from Oxford and its public so be ready for the hell of other hunters hitting a hail call at a single duck a mile high when you have a group of bout 12 mallards working. Goodluck to ya
echoboy07
hunter

Postby 7outRyan » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:14 pm

it is def worth it! i live on the gulf coast and travel about 4 hrs to hunt all season long. the wmas are not the best run in the country, but you can kill ducks! joining a club is the best option if you have extra$ available. good luck
7outRyan
Newb

Postby Imbred_Goldfish » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:04 am

Askew 30 minutes.... lol do you own a helicopter? it's every bit of an hour, as are several other duck oriented WMA's. The opportunity is here if you're willing to drive a little.
Imbred_Goldfish
hunter

Postby LODI QUACKER » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:17 pm

Take your boat!

Send me a pm when it gets closer to time and I will help you out a little.
LODI QUACKER
hunter

Postby echoboy07 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:43 am

Imbred_Goldfish wrote:Askew 30 minutes.... lol do you own a helicopter? it's every bit of an hour, as are several other duck oriented WMA's. The opportunity is here if you're willing to drive a little.

yea u right i was thinking of my drive from hernando to askew 40 mins tops if youre not late
echoboy07
hunter

Postby CutEmMS » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:09 pm

Hell askew wouldn't be worth the hour drive.......especially with all the idiots that flock down there now....Bring your stuff, I'm sure you will get the oppourtunity at some point if you make some friends at Ole Miss.
CutEmMS
hunter

Postby tjcollins2 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:33 am

It is definitely worth the effort....I also go to law school here at Ole Miss (3L) and have been duck hunting here the past two years. There are a handful of little holes just north of Oxford and a good WMA west of Oxford. I have never hunted out of a boat here in Oxford but I know my buddies have so there are places to use boat as well, esp on Sardis Lake.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like or need any help with anything; including law school.
tjcollins2
hunter

Postby deltacottonboy12 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:18 pm

Oxford is full of black bears so be careful!!

All kidding aside Oxford is only 1 HOUR from the delta and some of the best hunting around. We hunt the ms river anywhere from tunica to greenville. I know you said you did not have a boat but there are plenty of guys in the area and at ole miss that hunt and would love to take you.

Good luck and holler if you need some help.

Lodi ~ nice to see you over this way on the dhc forums..
http://www.camostencil.com contact me and get the Duck Hunting Chat discount on your order!

Fool me once, Strike one. Fool me twice, strike three.. Micheal Scott
deltacottonboy12
DHC Sponsor

Postby jfknox » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:42 am

Hi Fellas,

I don't mean to hijack the thread, or bring it back from the dead, but I saw a couple of Ole Miss Law School guys posting and thought it would be a good place to ask for some help.

I am a 2L, always have been a deer hunter, but I am trying to get more into duck hunting over the past few years. I was just hoping someone could point me in the right direction for a couple of places to look at going this fall around oxford, or maybe so guys that would like to pool together on a couple mornings.

I won't pretend that I know alot about duck hunting, I have been on a few hunts in arkansas rice fields, but other than that I don't know much. On the flip side I do have a boat. I just figured it would be a shame not to try to hunt around oxford while I am here, but it's tough to start from scratch.

Thanks for the help.

John
jfknox
Newb

Postby OxfordQuackStacker » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:56 pm

I've lived here in Oxford all my life and I can tell you I hope you brought your gear. There will be good hunting all season but you really want to be ready late. when the ducks start coming in down here they start coming in!! I've always hunted public land and have done really well and trust me finding someone at Ole Miss to duck hunt with should be pretty easy, pretty much everyone down here hunts Good luck and good hunting. Hotty Toddy!!!
(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
OxfordQuackStacker
hunter

Return to Mississippi Duck Hunting