**Easiest Duck boat blind to build**

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Re: **Easiest Duck boat blind to build**

Postby guywithhat » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:16 am

Built Not Bought!
This is Romeo Foxtrot. Shall we dance?
MorningWood built thread - viewtopic.php?f=72&t=164022
guywithhat
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:58 am

Whacker,
The best way to fasten the conduit to your boat is with "Bimini Fittings" You can do a online search and find several places that sell both metal and fiber ones. I used the fiber ones on mine and they work great. It's the only way to go. Most guys suggest going with 3/4" conduit for strength but I used 1/2" for less weight. I have very happy with the 1/2". I did have to install center supports in the centers of each side but when using the bimini fitting, they are a snap when going up and folding down the blind. The center supports also make it easier to go up with the blind with one person doing it. My center supports go into bimini fittings on the top blind rail and the bottom to the inside of the boat near the floor. I used the screw-on corner rounds and did not have to bother with bending pipe.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby bayouboy » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:19 pm

mudhole's blind build is very nice and keeping your blind on the inside of your boat is essential in my opinion. if you're gonna build one, mine as well build it right.

however, for "easiest" boat blind to build, this is it:

i feel it is as efficient as most scissor blinds and their build typically calls for a lower profile (in order to keep inside the boat) which is a plus. very easy to build, efficient, cost-effective. i built one based on this style, only i didn't bend the conduit and that was a mistake (like previously mentioned).
Attachments
dhc 2.jpg
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
bayouboy
hunter

Postby assateague » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:23 pm

Think I'm gonna build a "mini" one of these for my hybrid. Thanks for the ideas, guys! :thumbsup:
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby clanchattan » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:34 am

if you do all your bends on a scrap piece of carpet, you can buy the bender from the hardware store and then return it. pay cash, and keep that receipt. a 3/4 greenlee bender runs about $45.
clanchattan
hunter

Postby deltacottonboy12 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:47 pm

here is a couple pictures of my blind being built. Notice I used 1" pipe instead of the 1/2 inside the conduit to connect my 2 pieces. I used 2 self taping screws towards the center and 2 bolts on the outsides.

Im holding the "roof" with my hand. You can see the PINS that hold the two pieces together. I did not use Bimini parts for joints. I just drilled holes and used bolts..

http://www.camostencil.com contact me and get the Duck Hunting Chat discount on your order!

Fool me once, Strike one. Fool me twice, strike three.. Micheal Scott
deltacottonboy12
DHC Sponsor

Postby alleyehave » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:33 pm

Thanks for all the info guys, but now for a complete n00b question. I have never hunted from a boat blind, am thinking about building one for a 12ft blind and am curious how you shoot from the scissor setup? Obviously you can't pull all the pins and shoot lol, and you can't shoot through the burlap/camo material, so please clue me in? As I'm clueless :)

Thanks!
alleyehave
hunter

Postby ZMan079 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:44 pm

WDW,
as IChabod and Ryan pointed out there design to you/ It is very nice. I just go my new rig ( my 1st) I reviewed their design many times, and it is solid. I was looking to do something more low profile like the blind my buddy "OldbutNew"'s built on his 14 ft. ft. together they were the inspiration for my design. I am in the process of building it now, and I trying to document.. will try it out this weekend or next. If it works well and you have not built yours yet, you are welcome to take a peak.

Thanks,
ZMan079
Duck Xpress - My Boat Blind Project
ZMan079
hunter

Postby BamaSlama » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:02 pm

bayouboy wrote:mudhole's blind build is very nice and keeping your blind on the inside of your boat is essential in my opinion. if you're gonna build one, mine as well build it right.

however, for "easiest" boat blind to build, this is it:

i feel it is as efficient as most scissor blinds and their build typically calls for a lower profile (in order to keep inside the boat) which is a plus. very easy to build, efficient, cost-effective. i built one based on this style, only i didn't bend the conduit and that was a mistake (like previously mentioned).

I was wondering how you had your blind mounted in the back where can i find a picture??
BamaSlama
hunter

Postby bayouboy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:09 pm

I do not have pictures but on my previous boat where I implemented this blind, I used bimini hardware (google it if you're not familiar, it's the stuff folks use for canopies/umbrellas and what not on boats) mounted to my back deck. If you have a bench seat in the back, you could mount it to the seat instead I'd imagine.

Geaux tigers
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
bayouboy
hunter

Postby bayouboy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:13 pm

Link to discussion on conduit and Bimini hardware for ya bama:

viewtopic.php?t=165472

Geaux tigers
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

bayouboy
hunter

Postby Bcduckhunter5 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:36 am

Hey guys.. I am new here.. But I have gotten a lot of good information from this site.. I just built a blind on my 12' Starcraft jon boat for this coming season. I used 4 pieces of 3/4" EMT conduit, 6 3/4" pipe clamps, some 3/4" coduit complings and zip ties for mine. Took us all of 4-5 hours to build (not including painting the boat and stuff). If you would like to see some pictures of how it turned out send me an email bcbballplayer529@yahoo.com. I have some to where you can see how we did it. I only spent $30. Keep in mind it isn't the best blind, but for as much as I am able to get out it will work just fine.
Bcduckhunter5
Newb

Postby glrizzz » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:30 am

Some guys go to a hell of a lot of work to make a boat duck blind. Geez, all you need is a piece of seine net the length of your boat & a pile of reeds or cattails. Just hog ring the rushes to the seine netting. Support on your boat with 3 or 4 dowels/conduit attached to side of boat. Hang netting on these. Wallah..........1 hour-dun biz & totally natural. Spruce up a little the following year with a few more rushes.
glrizzz
hunter

Postby glrizzz » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:50 am

Killer blind--attack corn stalks to seine net or other with hog rings. Remove ears of corn & replace with artificial or paint leaves bright yellow.
Try it....you'll like it..............
glrizzz
hunter

Postby T Man » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:27 am

If no one responded the first time you posted you dont need to post a cliff note version a few weeks later. :thumbsup:

Why dont you start your own thread with pictures of your own "super simple" blind so the rest of us that work too hard on ours can see how much easier we can have it.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Previous

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds