Hunting Near Columbus

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

Hunting Near Columbus

Postby witt_duck » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:46 pm

Hey everyone,

I just wanted some opinions on duck hunting around the columbus area. I just moved to columbus from kansas and ready to hunt when the season starts. Where is the best area? or what is a good lake to hunt? Are the blinds in the lottery worth it?

Thanks.
witt_duck
Newb

Re: Hunting Near Columbus

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:23 am

I'd recommend you go the the state website and then spend some drive time - looking around. Your opportunities will be far more limited by weather conditions on any given week than by location alone. Didn't say if you had a boat or dog?

Blind draws give you a 'place' to go but all impoundments are flood control so winter pools look nothing like summer pools. Natural ponds will be dictated by the rain this summer and fall - the last two years being bone dry.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Re: Hunting Near Columbus

Postby alanwebfoot » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:39 pm

Deer creek resevoir blind application you get to use YOUR blind all season ,,another thing to think about is a float down the Scioto from south Colombus to the first bridge that crosses over around ,Scioto downs the water coming out of the power plant will not freeze up ,,but make sure you know ALL the laws on boats first and where to put in ,start asking now only 4 months away
alanwebfoot
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting