On going review and death test of a Stoeger m3500

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Re: On going review and death test of a Stoeger m3500

Postby Doug Hodges » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:43 pm

I'm actually thinking about getting a Hevishot choke tube and going with the Hevishot ammo. It's either that or a Patternmaster. I don't know a lot about the Kicks. I've got a buddy selling one. Maybe I should buy it too. Lol. Try them all then sell what I don't want.
Doug Hodges
hunter

Postby 2bd » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:10 pm

No offense but here's what you do

Buy a kicks choke tube and shoot cheap on sale shells something around $100 for a case. In a couple years take the money you saved and get a better gun
2bd
hunter

Postby Doug Hodges » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:14 pm

Ummmm. What would you suggest?
Doug Hodges
hunter

Postby fowlhunter » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:17 am

2bd wrote:No offense but here's what you do

Buy a kicks choke tube and shoot cheap on sale shells something around $100 for a case. In a couple years take the money you saved and get a better gun

How do you expect that not to offend? The man is obviously very happy with his gun so why rain on his parade? What do you shoot? I have an sbeii and a sx3, but you don't see me talking smack because someone either can't afford or doesn't want to spend that kind of money on a gun.

Doug, if you don't mind spending the cash on chokes get a few and see what works best. Have fun with it. You have plenty of time until September!
"It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not"
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby Doug Hodges » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:59 am

Yea. I've got more guns than I need. I just couldn't see spending 1600 on a gun when I could get the inertia driven system of the Benelli in a Stoeger for 1000 less. I've spent about 4000 buying guns this year so far. I am very pleased with my decision. I held the maxus and the extrema II as well as the affinity and a few used guns of different kinds. I liked the Stoeger better than most and as good as some. So when I compared price, I went with the least expensive and best buy. Just because it costs more, it doesn't make it better. I wonder how long before you won't be able to buy a Stoeger for 600 bucks? If its good enough for Beretta to own the company, its good enough for me.
Doug Hodges
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:58 am

Doug I am shooting the extended range patternmaster (the big one) with winchester xpert 3.5 1 1/4oz BB @ 1625fps for canadas and I am super confident in this load. I havent patterened it yet but I do know that I hammer the piss out of birds with it and I am afraid to pattern it just incase I dont like the pattern, lol! I shot just about 75% this yr if you take dove season out, had one day where i shot a box and got 2 dove, that really screws up the average and the pup starts looking at you funny lol. I suggest patterning the factory chokes before you buy a aftermarket one. I really like the skeet on doves and early ducks and the improved cyl was crushing mallards before my buddy gave me the patternmaster. Again I shoot the cheap ol winchester xperts, I see no need for any fancy loads as I perform good enough with them.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 185
Season #2 197
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby Doug Hodges » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:11 am

Yea. I've got two buddies that swear by their patternmasters. Both guys shoot Hevishot. One guy shoots extended range. The other mid range. I think I'm going to use my Browning Stalker 10 ga for turkeys. It has a patternmaster and is a 65 yd gun.
Doug Hodges
hunter

Postby n2ducks » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:19 am

With the savings buy another gun, buy a nicer gun, like a citori for example.

I just dont understand someone would spend $200 or $300 for a case of shells and turn around and say they wont spend $1200 on a beneli or berreta or similar. Unless you are a skyblaster $100 a case will work just as good.

BTW most will agree, there is no such thing as "I've got more guns than I need" :thumbsup:

Spent $4000 on guns this year? Would you like a cookie? Seems like buying anything in the last 2 months would be a bit over priced.
n2ducks
hunter

Postby n2ducks » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:20 am

BTW I shoot a berreta 391 urika. paid $600 for it.
n2ducks
hunter

Postby Doug Hodges » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:40 am

Looks like you get the cookie.
Doug Hodges
hunter

Postby Doug Hodges » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:02 am

n2ducks wrote:With the savings buy another gun, buy a nicer gun, like a citori for example.

I just dont understand someone would spend $200 or $300 for a case of shells and turn around and say they wont spend $1200 on a beneli or berreta or similar. Unless you are a skyblaster $100 a case will work just as good.

BTW most will agree, there is no such thing as "I've got more guns than I need" :thumbsup:

Spent $4000 on guns this year? Would you like a cookie? Seems like buying anything in the last 2 months would be a bit over priced.

I really like the Stoeger. It fit me better than the Benelli and berettas and its made by them.

I think shells and chokes are difference makers.

You got me there. I agree. I can't have enough guns. I need two more safes right now.

I was wrong. I figured it up. I spent less than 3000 on 4 Sks's, a bps stalker 10 gauge with patternmaster choke in camo and 3 boxes of t-lok's. a mossberg 835 in camo, accessories for the Sks's and 2000 rds of ammo. O and the Stoeger 3500. Crap. Just remembered I bought 5 chokes for my boys 835's and 500's.

I have an addiction. I have to stop.

Now can we get back to the review?
Doug Hodges
hunter

Postby TBS » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:27 am

Doug Hodges wrote:
n2ducks wrote:With the savings buy another gun, buy a nicer gun, like a citori for example.

I really like the Stoeger. It fit me better than the Benelli and berettas and its made by them.

I think shells and chokes are difference makers.

You got me there. I agree. I can't have enough guns. I need two more safes right now.

I was wrong. I figured it up. I spent less than 3000 on 4 Sks's, a bps stalker 10 gauge with patternmaster choke in camo and 3 boxes of t-lok's. a mossberg 835 in camo, accessories for the Sks's and 2000 rds of ammo. O and the Stoeger 3500. Crap. Just remembered I bought 5 chokes for my boys 835's and 500's.

I have an addiction. I have to stop.

Now can we get back to the review?

I know I'm joining this discussion fairly late, but I did want to make a couple distinctions. First, "Beretta Holdings" is the company that owns the rights to several firearm manufacturers such as Beretta, Benelli, Stoeger, Franchi, and Burris Optics. Just because Beretta Holdings owns the rights to Stoeger and Benelli doesn't mean the product they sell is the same thing. There are many functional differences between the Benelli and the Stoeger beyond the inertia system. First off, the barrels are made quite differently and produce a different pattern. Back boring, forcing cones and choke systems all play a role in the quality of pattern a shotgun throws. For someone to say they can get the same thing for $1000 less, simply doesn't understand that one company holds the financial rights to multiple other manufacturers who have been bought up over the years. That does NOT mean that the guns are all produced in the same plant and made from the same materials. Different metals, engineering, and assembly take place amongst most all of the guns talked about in this thread.

When it comes to which gun to buy and how much to pay? Well, that is up to the person opening his/her wallet. However, I agree, that if someone has the financial ability to buy a quality firearm over a "budget" shotgun, why would you spend the extra money on all the aftermarket crap (chokes and high priced shells) trying to make an inferior gun perform like a premium product?

To each his own and best of luck to you.
IF I AGREED WITH YOU, WE'D BOTH BE WRONG.
TBS
hunter

Postby radfordc » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:24 pm

TBS wrote:When it comes to which gun to buy and how much to pay? Well, that is up to the person opening his/her wallet. However, I agree, that if someone has the financial ability to buy a quality firearm over a "budget" shotgun, why would you spend the extra money on all the aftermarket crap (chokes and high priced shells) trying to make an inferior gun perform like a premium product?

A "budget" gun doesn't have to be less capable than the "high priced spread". My hunting buddy shoots his $1500 gun and I shoot my $350 gun. Both guns shoot well and kill ducks.

Oh, and the best performing shells I shot this year weren't the $250/case Hevimetals, but were the $99/case Federals. Who knew?
radfordc
hunter

Postby TBS » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:21 am

radfordc wrote:
TBS wrote:When it comes to which gun to buy and how much to pay? Well, that is up to the person opening his/her wallet. However, I agree, that if someone has the financial ability to buy a quality firearm over a "budget" shotgun, why would you spend the extra money on all the aftermarket crap (chokes and high priced shells) trying to make an inferior gun perform like a premium product?

A "budget" gun doesn't have to be less capable than the "high priced spread". My hunting buddy shoots his $1500 gun and I shoot my $350 gun. Both guns shoot well and kill ducks.

Oh, and the best performing shells I shot this year weren't the $250/case Hevimetals, but were the $99/case Federals. Who knew?

I also shoot Federal steel shot with excellent results. I won't say it patterns better than premium products suchs as Hevishot or even Winchester Supreme steel loads, but well enough to kill ducks at 30 yds in the decoys. On longer shots at cripples on the water, I tend to reach for a better shell, and typically see better results.

I never said a lower priced gun was less capable. Heck I've killed many ducks and pheasants with my old Mossberg 500, even an old bolt action Stevens .410! But that doesn't mean either of those guns perform at the same capacity of a Benelli SBE2/M2 or an upper end Beretta semiauto. Don't get me wrong, I'm not judging the guy who choses to carry an "old reliable" either. One of my best hunting partners for the last 20 years shot an old Remington 870 with fixed choke barrels up until 2 seasons ago, when he purchased an old used Benelli SBE1. His comment after the first couple hunts using the Benelli, "well, it don't kill ducks any better than my old 870!" However, at the end of the season, he changed his tune quite a bit, and said, "you know, I should have bought a gun like this years ago, it gives me such an advantage over the old pump gun." There are many different shotgun options out there and many different opinions about what works best for each individual. I'm certainly not going to tell a guy that shows up at the blind with an old pump gun or lower end semiauto that they are carrying a "boat anchor" or inferior gun. However, that doesn't mean they have a cheaper version of the "same thing" either. My post was only intended to illustrate the many significant differences between several firearm manufacturers owned by Beretta Holdings. They all still manufacture seperately and have many differences between them such as barrel chemistry, recoil management, choke systems, and so on. The pattern and "performance" vary accordingly.

My personal opinion is that a guy with the funds to afford a upper end shotgun with the barrel technology to throw improved patterns would be better off owning a Benelli or Beretta than buying a Stoeger and spending hundreds more on aftermarket chokes and high end shells trying to get it to pattern optimally. Also, from an investment perspective, the higher priced gun will hold its value much better than the cheaper model and when it becomes time to trade it or sell, most guys learn that the "brand name" matters with regards to market value.

LIke I said before, to each his own in regards to which shotgun works best for you. Just don't be fooled into thinking a $600 gun made by a manufacturer owed by Beretta Holdings is the exact same as a $1200 gun made by a different manufacturer owned by Beretta Holdings.
TBS
hunter

Postby KSRedleg » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:36 am

Most hunters that I've seen over the years aren't capable of getting the full benefit out of all these high tech shells and chokes, myself included. If we were, you wouldn't see/hear the 6-9 shot volleys that knock down 1 or 2 ducks from a flock. Or get nothing at all. :crying: For many all those hevimetal shells and high cost chokes seem to do is make them think they can consistently kill ducks at 50 yards.
So far this year.....
10 Blonds
20 Brunettes
6 Redheads

;)
KSRedleg
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:20 am

You contradicted yourself there, most ppl that have SBE II or Beretta extrema II buy patternmasters and shoot hevi metal. Why because they can afford it. For the stoeger m3500 being an inferior weapon I believe that you are wrong. I have heard the click come from more "highend" weapons than has occured with my "budget" weapon.
Retrieves Season #1 185
Season #2 197
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby TBS » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:12 am

duckdozer wrote:You contradicted yourself there, most ppl that have SBE II or Beretta extrema II buy patternmasters and shoot hevi metal. Why because they can afford it. For the stoeger m3500 being an inferior weapon I believe that you are wrong. I have heard the click come from more "highend" weapons than has occured with my "budget" weapon.

No contradiction here my friend. My comments about the better shells were in direct response to Doug's post about trying to buy different chokes and shoot high end shells to get his gun to pattern better. People can shoot whatever they want, it matters very little to me. My only contention when posting on this thread was that a Stoeger is NOT the same as a Benelli or Beretta simply because they are both owned by the investment company called "Beretta Holdings."

If you are happy with your Stoeger, then good for you. It does NOT pattern and function the same as the others mentioned. If it works for you, and kills ducks in the hole, don't worry about what others think or say. I'm just trying to dismiss the misconception that all these guns are created equal because they are owned by the same company. That is all.
TBS
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:37 pm

So you are saying that my Stoeger has inferior patterns and function ability to a SBE II, scratching my head. Whist I haven't patterned it, I highly doubt it has inferior patterns, I would be willing to say that with the same choke and shell that it is pretty close you your back-bored $1600 gun. As far as function goes I highly doubt that there is any issues with the function ability of the weapon that can not be traced back to user error or lack of cleaning. But the click on the other hand goes hand in hand some higher end weapons with a B name. I didnt see any issues with Doug's patterns looks like he killed those turkeys, looks like it would be a pretty damned good pattern for waterfowl as well. I think that he has read into the hype of the Hevi-Metal Envirometal puts out, or his buddy's say about the shells. Nothing against you Doug, it just seems that a lot of ppl fall into this trap.
Retrieves Season #1 185
Season #2 197
duckdozer
hunter

Postby cyoung24 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:26 pm

I gotta side with Dozer. My Stoeger M2000 performed great this past season. I did not clean it all season and had one fail to eject. It was around 20 degrees and was wet from riding in the bottom of my layout boat. It jammed so I just sprayed some oil in it and it performed flawlessly. I would say the pattern is good.
Attachments
image.jpg
Exhibit A
cyoung24
hunter

Postby TBS » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:40 am

Fellas,

This will be my last post on the topic, as I certainly didn't intend to offend anyone who shoots a Stoeger. Once again, my main contention was that these guns are different in many ways from other firearms manufactured by companies within the conglomerate known as Beretta Holdings.

Here is what I can tell you from personal experience testing many of these guns. One of my main hunting partners owns a large gun shop. When I say large, I mean one of the largest private shotgun dealers in the state of KS. Last summer, while out there shooting sporting clays we got into a debate about the differences in pattern between a Browning Citori 625 Sporting with ported barrels and a Beretta Silver Pigeon 2 Sporting without ported barrels. So, we set out to do a test; both on the pattern board and the range. What started out as a O/U comparison quickly turned into a test of a variety of shotguns including Benelli, Beretta, Franchi, and Stoeger. We even tested Reminton, Winchester, and Browning semi-autos. Over the process of several hours, we learned that pattern density, pattern distribution, and pattern consistency varied dramatically amongst many of the manufacturers. We also learned that as you increase distance from 30 yds to 40 yds or increased shot size the guns with back boring, lenthened forcing cones, higher quality steel and machining, and barrel porting absolutely made a noticable impact on patterns. Inside 30 yds there was less variance, and unlikely to be significant in most hunting situations. Although for competition clay shooters, yes, a distinct difference was noted at all ranges tested, especially in regards to POI versus POA. I was VERY surprised to see how much better a SBE2 with crio barrels and chokes patterned as compared to an original SBE1.

After we reviewed the test results from the pattern board and the range, I came away with a much better perspective regarding the technology that goes into these shotguns. By far, the best patterns came from the high end O/U shotguns with 30-32" barrels and elongated forcing cones. Porting seemed to help with POI, but did not impact the pattern as much.

I know many of you won't agree with what I've posted and will dismiss me as some sort of elitest because you think I'm putting down the shotgun you chose to purchase. That is just not the case. I think any and every shotgun on the market is worthy of ownership by someone. No shotgun on earth can make a poor shooter hit every bird, and the best marksmen out there will be deadly with any shotgun you hand them, regardless of make or model. What I'm trying to say here, is be happy with whatever it is you shoot. They all can get the job done. Just understand that the differences between many of these guns goes beyond than the price tag. That doesn't mean a lower priced shotgun won't fit your individual needs or function flawlessly for you. It just means that some shotguns do certain things better than others. Whether or not that is valued and worth the additional price is up to each individual and we get to decide which shotgun we purchase. We are lucky to have such a variety to choose from!

Best of luck to all of you, regardless of what brand of shotgun you chose to own. :beer:
TBS
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:15 pm

Well stated and highly understood. Now back to the review on this weapon, lol. I just recently bought a nordic components magazine tube for my weapon. I got a +6, now I can run 10 3.5" or 11 3" through it by floating one. I must say that I like the carlsons tube that I had before but the nordic one is just as nice. I also noticed that it just about fits all the way on the cap but doesnt quite snug up the gun, so i put the shim on that I built for the carlsons tube. I took a 3/4" sch 40 coupler and cut 3/16" off of it and put it on before I screwed the mag tub on to help tighten up the weapon.

008.JPG

009.JPG

007.JPG
Retrieves Season #1 185
Season #2 197
duckdozer
hunter

Postby Big Dan » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:27 pm

I bought a M3500 mid December last year to have as a back up in case my SBE OR SP-10 went down. I think it's a great gun for the money. I used it the rest of duck season and finished out goose season with it and had no issues with cycling shells but I didn't like the trigger pull weight. I waited til turkey season was over and took it to a smith who measured the pull at 8 3/4 lbs. I got it back today and he managed to get it down to 3 1/2 lbs. for me. Maybe I'll hit something with the first shot this year?
I have a question though. Does anyone know of a site to buy a spacer kit for the recoil pad on the composite stock guns? I generally have to add 1/2"-5/8" to the length of pull on my guns and I haven't been able to find a decent spacer kit anywhere. I have a slip on pachmyr recoil pad on the M3500 and it works but I'd rather have the recoil pad spaced out. My daughter has the opposite problem and we need to shorten her stock but I cant find a pad to put back on it that will look decent.
I'd really appreciate any help.
Big Dan
hunter

Postby jimplaxco » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:44 pm

Well it's been almost a year and another duck season how are the steogers m3500 holding up? I'm trying to decide what auto loader to get beneli is way put of my price range steoger is pushing it as is unfortunately.
jimplaxco
hunter

Postby Doug Hodges » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:04 pm

I've used mine in single digit weather. It's had a sheet of ice on it. I've shot 5 boxes through it. It's not failed yet. I'm shooting hevi metals 3.5" #3's. I'm out shooting everyone in the blind. I'm going against Novas, mossbergs SBE11 and a maxus. They are calling me the shooter. They aren't killing near as many when I'm not around. I'm using the hevi metal choke. I'm using it in the blind. I'm carrying the SBE in the woods. It's shorter and lighter and I'm quicker with it.
Doug Hodges
hunter

Postby Doug Hodges » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:05 pm

jimplaxco wrote:Well it's been almost a year and another duck season how are the steogers m3500 holding up? I'm trying to decide what auto loader to get beneli is way put of my price range steoger is pushing it as is unfortunately.

Get it. Take the recoil reducer out for dove hunting. I left it out.
Doug Hodges
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting