Woman Duck Hunters??

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: NorCal Cazadora, LadyK, Outdoor Gal

Re: Woman Duck Hunters??

Postby MissTeal » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:43 am

B.O.W. = Becoming an Outdoor Woman. http://www4.uwsp.edu/cnr/bow/index.aspx It started as a college club, but most state fish/wildlife agencies have picked it up and offer workshops. While you are maybe more experienced than the people that are attending the workshops, I am sure they would love to have women hunters volunteer in the workshops (and hopefully get to hunt private clubs for free for your efforts!) and then you will have a chance to at least meet future hunting partners. Good luck!
MissTeal
hunter

Postby soyouthinkgirlscanthunt » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:06 pm

I grew up around hunting of all kinds. I love and have always loved the outdoors. The part that I hate about it is that I always had to ask my brother or grandfather etc. to take me. Now its the same, only I have to ask my boyfriend. Damnit, I am tired of asking and want to take myself! So more power to you!!!! Guys just didnt wake up one day and became a great hunter. I say if a girl is truly interested in it ( not bc she thinks she looks cute in the clothes or thinks that guys will think she looks hott) which by the way most of you do... pigs, take her hunting. Practice makes perfect. I don't want to be treated any differently when hunting with the guys. Don't wait on me to shoot the first duck. How is that gonna make me any better?! The problem here is guys generalize the women sex. We are not all the same. So not judge us. HUNT ON BIATCHES!!!!
soyouthinkgirlscanthunt
hunter

Postby kfgirl » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:20 pm

soyouthinkgirlscanthunt wrote:I grew up around hunting of all kinds. I love and have always loved the outdoors. The part that I hate about it is that I always had to ask my brother or grandfather etc. to take me. Now its the same, only I have to ask my boyfriend. Damnit, I am tired of asking and want to take myself! So more power to you!!!! Guys just didnt wake up one day and became a great hunter. I say if a girl is truly interested in it ( not bc she thinks she looks cute in the clothes or thinks that guys will think she looks hott) which by the way most of you do... pigs, take her hunting. Practice makes perfect. I don't want to be treated any differently when hunting with the guys. Don't wait on me to shoot the first duck. How is that gonna make me any better?! The problem here is guys generalize the women sex. We are not all the same. So not judge us. HUNT ON BIATCHES!!!!

CLEARLY I've been looking at the wrong gear cuz I don't see where it makes me look "cute" or "hot"! :crying:
vincentpa wrote: Even if you're Bruce Lee, you ain't the same Bruce Lee wearing waders.
kfgirl
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:26 am

I decided a long time ago that functional was a whole lot better, than looking "cute". lol.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby kfgirl » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:54 am

OMG you guys!!! So i made it out on my first duck hunt (as a tag along). And before we even got in the boat... nature called!!! hahahaha! I didn't have to get in the water, so i was just wearing bibs & a jacket (& layers underneath). But what a PAIN to peal those things off & squat, in the dark, cold, rain! hahahaha!

Can't wait to go out (hunting) again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yes:
vincentpa wrote: Even if you're Bruce Lee, you ain't the same Bruce Lee wearing waders.
kfgirl
hunter

Postby blugoose » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:36 am

So kf girl... Did you get any birds this season?
blugoose
hunter

Postby kfgirl » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:53 am

kf girl did NOT get any birds this season. :crying: But i only got out twice. The whole thing started out pretty overwhelming for me, but i'm catching up & catching on! :beer:

I have my field day test scheduled for 2/25 (can't WAIT!). I got out on one duck hunt & one goose but the guys i went with couldn't get the birds to come into their spread. I got to learn a good bit hanging with them. And confirmed how much I LOVE being out there & setting up to hunt!

I bought a gun too! A nice Weatherby autoloader. Light as a feather & fits me well. Now if I could only hit some clays with the dang thing!! Still trying to figure out my "groove". Would love to get after some bunnies with it. :hammer:

Last, I now feel the pain that the men do...sitting at work WISHING they were out hunting instead. WHy oh Why does God torture us like that??! :yes: :yes:

How'd the rest of the ladies do?
kfgirl
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:32 am

It was a fairly uneventful season for me. Had a couple good hunts early on, but I was out a lot of days where we didn't even see a bird. Then on the days, when I couldn't go but my husband could they hit flight birds and shot limits. lol. Did some scouting, but unfortunately I was never able to get permission to hunt the fields the birds were using. My plan for this off season, is to get a plat book and start asking a lot earlier. I think I'll bring cookies with me too. ;)

You just have a couple days now until your field test! Cool! Let us know how it goes. And keep practicing with that shotgun, especially this summer. Lots of time skeet and trap shooting, and it might be a worthwhile investment into looking at shooting lessons.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby agd68 » Tue May 15, 2012 7:01 am

ChucknLeigh wrote:My wife has been hunting with me for over 7 years. It really helps with the dynamics. She is a great shot and killed 17 birds last year. I am always amazed at how much stuff we must pack, and some of my other buddies rag me until they ask "do you have" and of couorse we have it. We are always the first on the lake and the last one off. Several wide variety of species last year with several new wall mounts. Tripple digits of kills last year. We hunt in North Florida if you are ever intrested in hunting in this area. We are intrested in targeting new locations for hunting Pintails, Scaup, or Red Heads.

OMG.. a brother in arms. I remember the early years when I hunted alone. A thermos of tea, couple of sandwhiches and dry socks was close to over doing it. Now.. there's dry boxes and this and that and oh, might need this :rolleyes: . I dont know what is worse though, when I ask her if we have any.. or the self satisfied look she gives me when she roots it out of her stash.. :biggrin:
agd68
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Wed May 16, 2012 7:33 pm

Ladies, if you will permit me to jump into this conversation for a minute. I need to come to the women's forum more often. You guys have much better conversations then we do. Your conversations are just that...conversations. You guys actually talk about something worth while. I love to see women in the duck blind, deer woods, turkey woods or wherever. Especially a newbie. They make it sooo much fun and easy to teach. It's almost like taking your kids to the woods. They are so taken in by everything and this is really cool to watch. I took my wife turkey hunting years ago. She got cold so we left early. On the way out we walked up on 3 or 4 birds but I could only see 1. About 45 yds away. She had a 20 gauge and I knew her gun wouldn't make a shot like that. I have a Mossberg 835 which is nicknamed the gun that kicks on both ends so I didn't want to give her my gun and see her get knocked on her butt. I took the shot and rolled the bird. That is when I saw the other 2 birds scatter. I felt really bad for not knowing the other birds were there so we could have come up with a better plan. Anyway, the moral of the story is it was really cool to have her there with me. She wasn't all that interested but it was really nice anyway. I appreciate you ladies letting me share that with you.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby BGipson » Sun May 20, 2012 9:29 am

carolinagreenhead wrote:Ladies, if you will permit me to jump into this conversation for a minute. I need to come to the women's forum more often. You guys have much better conversations then we do. Your conversations are just that...conversations. You guys actually talk about something worth while. I love to see women in the duck blind, deer woods, turkey woods or wherever. Especially a newbie. They make it sooo much fun and easy to teach. It's almost like taking your kids to the woods. They are so taken in by everything and this is really cool to watch. I took my wife turkey hunting years ago. She got cold so we left early. On the way out we walked up on 3 or 4 birds but I could only see 1. About 45 yds away. She had a 20 gauge and I knew her gun wouldn't make a shot like that. I have a Mossberg 835 which is nicknamed the gun that kicks on both ends so I didn't want to give her my gun and see her get knocked on her butt. I took the shot and rolled the bird. That is when I saw the other 2 birds scatter. I felt really bad for not knowing the other birds were there so we could have come up with a better plan. Anyway, the moral of the story is it was really cool to have her there with me. She wasn't all that interested but it was really nice anyway. I appreciate you ladies letting me share that with you.

I definitely agree this is a lot more civilized and actual conversations go on! Now for the rest of the stuff that's been discussed. I have introduced a good handful of women to duck hunting and what I have found is that it's not for most, for 1 reason or the other. My ex didn't like it because she wasn't a morning person but she still went with me a few times and enjoyed watching the birds work and even shot a couple. She enjoyed pheasant hunting much more. This past season I took a girl along who was awesome! She spent the first half of the season trying to learn from a dimwit, since we had opposing schedules and never had the same days off. After the split in the season we started having the same days off and she hunted with me and her whole season turned around. It was incredible watching her want to learn everything she could about the sport and being able to teach her so much. I helped her get her 2nd-6th ducks and seeing the joy on her face was awesome! She is down in GA now but still talks to me every week and is just as excited for the coming season as me. Before we parted ways (the job we were working together ended) I gave her some deeks and a call so she is ready to go on her own. Here's the first bird she shot with me.

Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby kfgirl » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:07 am

Wow you guys are awesome! I can't wait for next season! Great story and compliments Gentlemen. And yes OutdoorGal, I am getting some more shooting done this summer. And having great luck at it. Its coming along more naturally now. I've done 2 sporting clay runs and trap is getting much easier and hence more FUN for me too!

I'll definetly look into a class. One of our local ranges offers a skeet class 1 wed a mo for 2-3hrs. Right now that conflicts w/my schedule but I'm sure I can find something at another range (I think the one in PG County has a sat class).

Still need those waders but i'm feeling a lot more informed now. At least my "greeness" is not as bright :wink:
kfgirl
hunter

Postby BGipson » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:21 pm

kfgirl wrote:Wow you guys are awesome! I can't wait for next season! Great story and compliments Gentlemen. And yes OutdoorGal, I am getting some more shooting done this summer. And having great luck at it. Its coming along more naturally now. I've done 2 sporting clay runs and trap is getting much easier and hence more FUN for me too!

I'll definetly look into a class. One of our local ranges offers a skeet class 1 wed a mo for 2-3hrs. Right now that conflicts w/my schedule but I'm sure I can find something at another range (I think the one in PG County has a sat class).

Still need those waders but i'm feeling a lot more informed now. At least my "greeness" is not as bright :wink:

By the way, those waders that my friend has on are the Cabela's Womens hunting wader. I don't know the official name. I just know that she loved them and cussed us for getting her addicted to duck hunting :yes:
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby kfgirl » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:34 pm

BG - I'm thinking I'll use "in search of waders" as an excuse to make a trip out to Cabela's anyway. Even my sons have been (Uncles took them) so I best catch up!! :hammer:
kfgirl
hunter

Postby BGipson » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:58 pm

Good deal! Best have a set goal before you walk through the doors though because the store has this magical effect that makes you double the amount you thought you were going to spend. And another thing to do is go to the bargain cave first because sometimes they will have what you are looking at a big discount

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby realtreegurl » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Hey, i'm looking for a hunt'n budy too. I live in northern cali about an hour north of sacramento. I just moved here so i need to find some people befor it's to late.
realtreegurl
hunter

Postby muel2020 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:05 pm

I am also a women duck hunter that finds the thrill in sitting out in the dark waiting for the sun to rise so I can start blasting. I think that any who has a problem with this should come out and let me out shoot him. I am a born and raised Minnesotian that loves to be in the out doors and do what my anciestors did before me. :wink: I would like to praise all the women out there that go against the grain and prove what a real women is.
muel2020
hunter

Postby OltMan » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:34 pm

Realtreegurl: don't know if you are opposed to hunting with guys but I am located an hour southwest of Sac. My family has a bunch of local spots and a bunch of friends come out hunting with us. Have a place to shoot trap and such, if you wanted to get some hunting in this year it is always fun to meet a woman that enjoys killing a few ducks.
OltMan
hunter

Postby Mercy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:59 pm

I don't shoot yet but I've been going on hunts with my dogs sporadically since I believe 2006 when my older flatcoat picked up 20 pheasants on his second day out (he turned into a pointing FCR on the second day :P). This year I've been out more than 10 times with different hunters, going dove, duck and geese hunting and I've thoroughly enjoyed all of the hunts (doves the most!). In fact, I liked it so much I signed up for a hunting class starting in January so hopefully I can start shooting for my dogs next year.

Around here a woman hunter is something of an oddity as well, though we have big 'only women in hunting' hunts each year (everyone's invited though, female or male) and I know at least one very capable female waterfowler in my area who hunts solo and who has a great yellow lab picking up for her. I think seeing more women out in the marsh/by the sea/in the forest is excellent and more power to anyone who is interested in it.
Mercy
hunter

Woman Duck Hunters??

Postby Girlshunt2 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:33 pm

I got the same reaction when I started hunting down here in south Florida with my boyfriend it was like all the guys saw a ghost when I showed up one am. Now my boyfriend tells em I can out shoot most of them standing there. I have made friends with some and enemies. I've heard guys tell me duck hunting is not a girls sport and that I shouldn't be out there. I think theyre probably just jealous that their women are at home upset with them cause they are out there hunting. I think we need more girls in the sport. I have seen a few come out to the area where we hunt but it's usually just a on day thing and then u don't see them for the rest of the season. Me though I'm there every time rain or shine hot or freezing :). I enjoy it and I'm addicted.
Girlshunt2
hunter

Woman Duck Hunters??

Postby Girlshunt2 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:36 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354905309.270350.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354905309.270350.jpg (43.32 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354905347.071915.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354905347.071915.jpg (30.17 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
Girlshunt2
hunter

Woman Duck Hunters??

Postby Girlshunt2 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:38 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354905455.858096.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354905455.858096.jpg (22.52 KiB) Viewed 1324 times
Girlshunt2
hunter

Postby PrairieBelle » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:19 pm

Interesting thread! :) It is true that there aren't too many gals who are waterfowlers, but we do exist! It sounds like most women who hunt are into big game, but I know a couple gals who love the marsh as much as I do! Unfortunately none of them live nearby. As you guys know, ducks aren't for everyone.... but for some of us it is an exciting/humbling/expensive/amazing addiction.

I have run into some groups that don't want a woman in the blind (most of my DU chapter, unfortunately) ... and at first it got under my skin. I come from a little different background because I have 5 brothers and I work in a male-dominated field... I know how to handle myself around the boys and I had a hard time understanding what the problem was. It doesn't bother me anymore. I think for some men, duck hunting is a way to escape and do their own thing...sans estrogen. That is cool - I don't invite the boys to the nail salon for pedicures! :lol3: I'll be honest though, if a group can't treat me like one of the guys, I don't want to hunt with them. When I was first starting out I didn't know anyone who duck hunted and I was on my own most of the time. I didn't know I was missing one of the best parts about duck hunting...friends! In the last couple of years I've met a bunch of really cool people who don't notice that there is a !!girl in the blind... unless I sneak away to pee. :wink:

Keep at it, girls!!
PrairieBelle
hunter

Woman Duck Hunters??

Postby TomKat » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:09 pm

I am all for women hunting. I support your participation in our sport.

Don't take this wrong, but I prefer to hunt with men. Hunting is one of the last bastions of men. I like women, but in the blind I like to cut up with my friends and I couldn't do it in the same way in mixed company. And trust me you wouldn't want to listen to our babble.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby LadyK » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:56 pm

Thanks for your opinion TK.....that no one asked for.

I think it's pretty obvious that we as females understand why we arent always welcome in the blind. But it's also obvious as to why that being in the blind is also just as enjoyable for a woman as a man. I'm sure if we could locate more female hunters in our areas we wouldn't be hunting with men anyways. :tongue:

I grew up with 3 brothers...there's not much you could come up with that I haven't heard. If you are graced with the presence of a lady in the blind, carry on as usual. Shes probably already used to it. :thumbsup:
"Indeed, this seems actually to be a psychological and sociological law: the power of some needs the folly of others." -Bonhoeffer
LadyK
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Outdoors Women Forum