A few pics...

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

A few pics...

Postby KAhunter » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:04 pm

I wanted to throw up a few pics of what we have going this year at our farm in VA. Its been alot of work but I am happy about where we are and how everything looks this year. Enjoy.

Impoundment
Area just planted with Jap. Millet and corn behind it. The blind is on the left of the pic

Natural Area planted with buttonbush and Gobbler sawtooth oaks

Jap Millet around island and moist soil are

Jap Millet planted 7/6/11

Gobbler Sawtooth Oak planted this spring

Smartweed

Buttonbush

Business end of Buttonbush

Barnyard Grass

Looking out from the front left side of blind

Straight out from Blind

Dove Fields
Sunflowers - About 8.5 acres

Sunflowers

Buckwheat - almost 2 acres. Its a little weedy but i am gonna spray it and then burn it in august.

Hunts
Some hunts from past years in the impounment. Ignore the date on the pics.

"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Re: A few pics...

Postby chinaboy cotter » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:14 pm

Nice pics and nice hole you've got there. make sure and take some mature pics this fall when flooded.
chinaboy cotter
hunter

Postby Grunt » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:32 am

Can you update this thread throughout the season, like the plot growth and what you harvest?
Grunt
hunter

Postby Eschutz » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:01 am

Great pics! Thanks for sharing!

How you been on water/rain this year?

Keep 'em coming,

Erich
Hauptmann-Team Sneak Attack

kal9wt wrote:Classic.  

Just walk right up and start shooting, sounds eerily remenescent of the bathing beach incident. Have fun E-Tard

TSA '11-'12
Shells: 310
Snows 29

KEA
Eschutz
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:37 pm

I will definetly keep updates. I wish I had gotten more pics from this area since we started work but this is the first set I took. I will keep everyboyd posted.

Concerning water we have been fine this year. We have had some high temps that dry everything out quick but some good thunderstorms have helped us out. We are still behind on totals for the year but its been pretty good. Most of the corn has atleast 2 ears with 3 and 4 ears mixed in so another good couple of rains and we will be fine. More Pics to come soon!!!
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

KAhunter
hunter

Postby Eschutz » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:37 pm

When did you plant your corn? Just curious...

Just walk right up and start shooting, sounds eerily remenescent of the bathing beach incident. Have fun E-Tard

TSA '11-'12
Snows 29

KEA
Eschutz
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:57 pm

We planted the corn around the first of may. We used roundup ready BT corn and it has made the difference. Last year we did the dwarf wildlife corn. I would not reccommend that corn to anyone for planting. The Yields suck..

KAhunter
hunter

Postby Eschutz » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:26 am

Huh, good to know! What does the round up ready corn cost in your area?

And I'm new to this, but haven't heard a kind word about the dwarf corn.

I spend a bit of time and have learned so much from the Habitat section of the Refuge Forum. Awesome info on there back to almost 2000.

Take a look when you have the time: http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/forumdisplay.php?f=69

TSA '11-'12
Snows 29

KEA
Eschutz
hunter

Postby Eschutz » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:29 am

Also KA, need some plant ID help. In your pic of the smartweed, what is the broad leaf plant with the pointy/serrated leaves? It's all the way in the lower left hand corner. I've got a bit of this stuff around my pond in the places I left to mother nature and didn't plant. Thanks!

Erich

TSA '11-'12
Snows 29

KEA
Eschutz
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:48 pm

Eschutz, I have no idea what that is. i went up there on monday and tried to ID and I cant. This is the first year it had really popped up and it was after we burned last fall. I am gonan burn the natural areas and disc in the spring. Should promote some smartweed growth. It looks like you are learning your stuff pretty well. I have been learning more and more every year. Its trial and error and failure only leads to success if you have the right mentality. It drives my dad and my buddies dad creazy but i am always thinking of how to grow/create habitat/get more ducks/duck hunt better in general. Its an obsession and if you put in the work it generally comes back to you in the end.

Hoping for a little rain cause its pretty dry and hot since the last big rain a week and a half ago. The Jap millet came up in the dry area and should start popping where it was holding water for a week or so. Either way i am ready for september.

KAhunter
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:09 pm

How much does it cost you every year for all that?
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:40 am

When it is all said and done it costs around 3,500. It is expensive but that basically cover seed, fertilizer (about 1800 bucks for that alone) and prepping the field and planting the corn (200 bucks per bag)/sunflowers. A buddy of mine, my brother and I do all of the other work/planting/ fertilizing/spraying, etc... We would do it all but i dont have the equipment to disk/plant a 9 acre sunflower field or plant the corn. A bigger disk/tractor and a 2 row planter and I would be doing it myself.

KAhunter
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:49 pm

A little update after storm. I went up there this morning and there wasnt much damage at all. We lost a tree or two but nothing major. The area is fully flooded and 3/4 of the corn blew over so thats not ideal but hoping to get some geese/teal in there before too long. Saw 2 woodies in there this morning so they didnt waste any time getting on it. Didnt lose the doves too bad so I am gonna cut some more this wednesday when it dries up and go from there. Pics to come.

KAhunter
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:42 am

Here is the spot flooded. I checked it yesterday at 4:30 and I had 75 mallards and 5 woodies in there. Its exciting but its a little early. We had to take the risk and plug it up before the hurricane as we rely on rain water since our irrigation pump isnt the most reliable. I guess water now is better then no water come duck season. Hopefully we will pick up a few geese or teal or both and can get on them this september. Its good to see the birds but bad cause its still august!!! Ignore the dates. Enjoy.

We are gonna stay on the geese hard if they get in there. Its only a matter of time as there are alot of resident birds in the area and we dont want them too comfoprtable as they will eat us out.

KAhunter
hunter

Postby Eschutz » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:51 am

Now that you know what you got for water, why don't you take a little water down. Wouldn't that protect some groceries, while leaving you some water on the chance that y'all don't get all the rain you need. I'd imagine she's purdy full up.

Just a thought from by no means an expert. Looks really good tho man. time to get ready!! :thumbsup:

TSA '11-'12
Snows 29

KEA
Eschutz
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:40 pm

Eschutz wrote:Also KA, need some plant ID help. In your pic of the smartweed, what is the broad leaf plant with the pointy/serrated leaves? It's all the way in the lower left hand corner. I've got a bit of this stuff around my pond in the places I left to mother nature and didn't plant. Thanks!

Erich

I figured it out. It is devils beggars tick. Those are the seeds that stick to you clothes sometimes when you walk through weeds. Ducks eat them as far as I can tell so its a good thing

KAhunter
hunter

Postby Eschutz » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:26 pm

Oh man, I was waiting/hoping you'd circle back on that, thanks buddy!

TSA '11-'12
Snows 29

KEA
Eschutz
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:03 am

First hunt in the impoundment. During early october season.

1 banded woodie on that hunt.

Hunted it again the last day and shot 25 - mallards and woodies with one more banded woodie.

KAhunter
hunter

Postby Eschutz » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:57 am

All I can say is :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

TSA '11-'12
Snows 29

KEA
Eschutz
hunter

Postby Coleman24 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:00 am

That is awesome!!
Coleman24
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology