Duck Sausage?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Duck Sausage?

Postby Gen. Lee » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:34 pm

Got a frozen goose and quite a few ducks left over from last season and would like to try making sausage.

Anyone have a recipe that they'd share? Any tips, advice, or cautions?

Thanks fellas...
Gen. Lee
hunter

Re: Duck Sausage?

Postby troutbum43 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:03 pm

Last year I just mixed my ducks 1:1 with Jimmy Dean Sage sausage, added a couple dollops of bacon grease, some red chili pepper flakes and a little pepper, its been pretty good. I went 1:1 because I had some surf scoters in there. I also threw in a little old venison I had laying around. Just ran the ducks through the kitchen aide grinder, mixed in the Jimmy Dean by hand and vaccum sealed it. Good luck, there are 100 ways to skin this cat!
Conserve, promote, protect and enhance...then harvest!
troutbum43
hunter

Postby asmythe32 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:54 pm

I saw the title and I had to post this. My store manager at work used to ask me if I had ever had duck sausage. I said no. he said well duck on down and get you some of this sausage. So whenever I hear duck sausage it makes me laugh. Thanks for playing guys!!
asmythe32
hunter

Postby aboz » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:58 am

As of recent the most common thing I do with my ducks is make peperoni sticks, or some sort of snacking stick. Then smoke them up they are great. I have used a pre made cure, but then add chili flakes, pepper, sage, and whatever depending on the batch. Then throw them in the smoker. I love them, everyone who has them want more.
take em
aboz
hunter

Duck Sausage?

Postby bayouboy » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:38 am

Gen. Lee wrote:Got a frozen goose and quite a few ducks left over from last season and would like to try making sausage.

Anyone have a recipe that they'd share? Any tips, advice, or cautions?

Thanks fellas...

Check out the announcement at the top if the page
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
bayouboy
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:12 pm

I've tried everything and I just can't convince myself that they taste good. I like goose the best, but even that doesn't thrill me.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby alanwebfoot » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:51 pm

mixed mine with deer ,and lots of spices ,still like duck best in a crock pot
alanwebfoot
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:09 am

I'm sure if I were way upstate or out in the boons, the ducks would be eating better and would taste better. Here they all seem to taste the same, from Brant to blacks to mallards. Teal can be more tender, but still pretty much taste the same too. I am lucky to have a laundromat locally staffed by people who love them and are very grateful to take my extras. I clean them and will lightly season them in freezer bags and donate what I am not going to eat.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Wi Browndog » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:08 pm

Last month I cleaned out my freezer and ground up some divers and made them into brats. Chunked the meat first and put in marinade for 48 hours before grinding it. Mixed it about 2:1 with seasoned pork sausage and then added ginger, nutmeg, and crushed red pepper before stuffing into the casings.

The guys at work were highly skeptical but they couldn't resist when I grilled them in the parking lot and put them in a crockpot of kraut. Next time I make a batch I'll look for pork sausage that isn't ground so fine and try not to stuff the casing so full. It seemed a bit too dense, but very edible in everybody's opinion.
"Every day is a good day - some are just better than others"
Wi Browndog
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking