Fishing Pics: Post them up.

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Re: Fishing Pics: Post them up.

Postby GroundSwatter » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:29 am

A few Highlights from the month of July.

Decent Cubera (9.5lbs I think)
photo.JPG
Cubera

13lb Jack
Jack.jpg
Crevalle

Tasty Mutton Snapper
Mutton.jpg
Mutton

38lb Tarpon
71811 013.jpg
Tarpon
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:34 am

reelcranky wrote:Lake Erie Walleye fishing at its finest here is a 4 man limit over the forth of July went two days later with a repeat of this.
105_1816.JPG

105_1817.JPG

Those are big walleyes! Did you fish out of Erie, PA or out of Ohio near Sandusky?
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:37 am

GroundSwatter wrote:A few Highlights from the month of July.

Decent Cubera (9.5lbs I think)
photo.JPG

13lb Jack
Jack.jpg

Tasty Mutton Snapper
Mutton.jpg

38lb Tarpon
71811 013.jpg

Ah,
Tarpon and Jack! I can't wait to get back to Puerto Rico and catch a few myself. What artificial baits do you use for tarpon and jack? I'd like to bring my wife's cousin in PR some lures from the mainland next time I go.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:38 am

ks_waterfowler wrote:Haven't taken alot of pictures this year
Only kept a few for a meal for myself early in the year

Those are big crappies. I don't think I've ever seen them that big around here.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:13 pm

vincentpa wrote:
Ah,
Tarpon and Jack! I can't wait to get back to Puerto Rico and catch a few myself. What artificial baits do you use for tarpon and jack? I'd like to bring my wife's cousin in PR some lures from the mainland next time I go.

I use lighter gear and do a lot of casting, just to give you a preface for the size gear I use.

The tarpon and the Jack in those Pic's were caught on Tsunami Holographic Swim Shad's usually in 3/8oz or 1oz. Mullet/ Black Back has been the color that works for me. I also have caught snook, cubera snapper, mackerel, and shark on those baits as well.

I also like the D.O.A. C.A.L. Shad swim baits. Red/gold and Greene have been two of my go to colors on those. I normally put them on a 3/8oz or 1/2oz jig head. I know a 3" baits seem small, but I caught my biggest Cubera on one of these baits and have caught several tarpon on them as well. Greene works great for yellowtail snapper.

I also make some home made jigs using silver christmas tinsel and a 3/8oz flathead jig. You can also use yellow, white, or chartruese Pompano jigs, I again prefer 3/8oz or 1/2oz jigs. For my jigs I'll use gold or chartreuse twister tails on them.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:08 pm

Hey GS,
We got into a mess of Jack Crevalle last trip out... most of 'em kept breaking us off on the rig legs. We boated 11 and the biggest one was pushing 30 lbs.
They are a nuisance fish down here... just follow a shrimp boat around and you can catch jacks till your arms are jello!! :yes: :thumbsup: We never actually target them though...would be fun on a flyrod though! :yes:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:36 pm

Indaswamp wrote:Hey GS,
We got into a mess of Jack Crevalle last trip out... most of 'em kept breaking us off on the rig legs. We boated 11 and the biggest one was pushing 30 lbs.
They are a nuisance fish down here... just follow a shrimp boat around and you can catch jacks till your arms are jello!! :yes: :thumbsup: We never actually target them though...would be fun on a flyrod though! :yes:

I rarely target them either, but they are fun to catch for the fight. Under 10 pounds they're a nuisance, but over 10lbs they're a lot of work and fun. If I'm having a bad day on the water, normally there is a jack around to make it a bit better.

In the fall we have huge schools of them exploding on the water. Its fun to get in the middle of them on light gear, especially with people that don't fish much.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:19 pm

permit.jpg

Got this guy today. I love catching Permit!
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby bmoy1920 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:44 pm

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: I can't wait to be out on the lake tomorrow! whoohoo!
bmoy1920
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:29 pm

No pics from me. We've been sucking rudder the last two weeks. Where have all the salmonids gone? :sad:

I'd give my middle nut to go walleye fishing right now. I'd give them all to slaughter some mallards...
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:58 am

Bill Herian wrote:No pics from me. We've been sucking rudder the last two weeks. Where have all the salmonids gone? :sad:

I'd give my middle nut to go walleye fishing right now. I'd give them all to slaughter some mallards...

Take a trip to the Columbia. We've had Chinook and steelhead thick for a couple months now.
The whole river has steelhead right now.
The Walleye have been slow and, ever since they took the slot limit off, the fish seem to be shrinking over all. Too many meat fisherman on the Columbia for walleyes these days.
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby Tealer » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:49 am

QH's Paw wrote:
Bill Herian wrote:No pics from me. We've been sucking rudder the last two weeks. Where have all the salmonids gone? :sad:

Take a trip to the Columbia. We've had Chinook and steelhead thick for a couple months now.
The whole river has steelhead right now.
The Walleye have been slow and, ever since they took the slot limit off, the fish seem to be shrinking over all. Too many meat fisherman on the Columbia for walleyes these days.

The walleyes days on the Big C are limited they think they eat salmon and both states want them gone. We are really lucky with fish in our river. Lots of salmon and steelies!
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby QH's Paw » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:54 am

Tealer wrote:The walleyes days on the Big C are limited they think they eat salmon and both states want them gone. We are really lucky with fish in our river. Lots of salmon and steelies!

Yep, and that is funny because I took part in a warmwater test fishery in Oregon, including the Willamette in downtown Portland and not one warmwater fish had a salmonid in it's digestive tract. There was one small mouth with a baitfish(?) that was not identifiable.
The tests were done while the spring flushing occurs with millions of steelhead smolts in both big rivers(Columbia and Willamette).
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby T Man » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:06 pm

A few I've caught. Im not much of a fisherman, so I was pretty proud of the bass and crappie.
Attachments
5650_528737339775_80400874_31505367_7288554_n.jpg
59.jpg
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby bmoy1920 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:11 pm

T Man wrote:A few I've caught. Im not much of a fisherman, so I was pretty proud of the bass and crappie.

That crappie on the left has a HUGE mouth. Looks like 6 good fillets right there.

The more I look at it, I swear that fish looks photoshopped.
bmoy1920
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:14 am

Here's one for Redbeard.

Sperrys are doing work.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby T Man » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:32 am

bmoy1920 wrote:
T Man wrote:A few I've caught. Im not much of a fisherman, so I was pretty proud of the bass and crappie.

That crappie on the left has a HUGE mouth. Looks like 6 good fillets right there.

Sorry vrother, not photoshopped. I dont have to get in a penis size debate over fishing on the internet (not to mention I have no idea how to photoshop anything). Its a legit fish that went 2lbs if I remember right. Its still in my freezer at home waiting to get mounted...id be happy to put up more pics of a frozen fish in a couple of weeks when I get home for your validation
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby QH's Paw » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:24 pm

Bill Herian wrote:Here's one for Redbeard.

Sperrys are doing work.

Chinook?
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby bmoy1920 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:53 pm

T Man wrote:
bmoy1920 wrote:

Sorry vrother, not photoshopped. I dont have to get in a penis size debate over fishing on the internet (not to mention I have no idea how to photoshop anything). Its a legit fish that went 2lbs if I remember right. Its still in my freezer at home waiting to get mounted...id be happy to put up more pics of a frozen fish in a couple of weeks when I get home for your validation

No man. I don't mean it bad. Just the way the gills up look, it looks like a largemouth, well, mouth on a crappie. I guess it's my imagination. I didn't mean to say you were fudgin on size. That's my bad. :beer: It just looks like a weird mouth for a crappie to me.

Is there a possibility she's full of eggs? That would explain it.
bmoy1920
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:59 pm

QH's Paw wrote:Chinook?

Yea, them are kings. That's about as big as they get in my puddle. Those are 20.8 and 23.4. Every once in a while you get one in the 25-27 range but those are pretty rare.

The coho run 4-7 normally, 10-14 on the high end and later in the summer. I think we had a ten pound ho this afternoon. Early this season we were doing 20 coho an hour. Lately its been about an hour between bites. :sad:
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:59 pm

Bill Herian wrote:
QH's Paw wrote:Chinook?

Yea, them are kings. That's about as big as they get in my puddle. Those are 20.8 and 23.4. Every once in a while you get one in the 25-27 range but those are pretty rare.

The coho run 4-7 normally, 10-14 on the high end and later in the summer. I think we had a ten pound ho this afternoon. Early this season we were doing 20 coho an hour. Lately its been about an hour between bites. :sad:

Yep, some people here start fishing silvers(Coho) in June out in the ocean. It takes less than an hour to limit a boat and you rarely get all of the lines out. I personally don't see the point of going out in the ocean to chase silvers when they are that small. From September on, you can catch silvers in the rivers and they'll be 10-14# with occasional to 17-20# range depending year to year. Unfortunately, the forcast for Silvers this fall is slim but, the silver lining is a forecast of 800K for Kings in the Columbia and it's tribs.
I'd rather eat kings but, I prefer the spring run fish because they are higher quality by far.
Biggest problem with our fall king runs is it overlaps the duck/geese/deer/elk seasons.
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby tucker301 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:24 pm

tucker301
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:25 pm

tucker301 wrote:Image

Daaaaaaaang
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby pgquackstacker » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:30 pm

A good 10 lbs or so...
pgquackstacker
hunter

Postby SDMF » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:46 pm

couple different trips for Gills and Bonus redear
[img]http://i274.ph[IMG]http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj256/rivercat1971/weddingpix029-1.jpg[/img]
Team Rasputin: NEVER SAY DIE
SDMF
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole