planting Japenese Millet

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

planting Japenese Millet

Postby nrw1717 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:08 pm

This is the first year on a duck lease for me here in West Central Illinois. The farmer that takes care of the place said its to late for him to plant corn so we have to plant millet do to the flooding just went down. Thats fine I have all the equipment to do it. We have about 15 acres to plant but I have never played with millet before. I do have a few questions any help would be great. Thanks!

How many pounds per acre do you plant?

How high should you flood it?

Do you plant in your kill zone or do you plant on the outside of it?

What doess it cost per 50lb. bag in your area?
nrw1717
hunter

Re: planting Japenese Millet

Postby Eschutz » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:34 am

I'm by no means an expert, but have read a bit on the subject...

How many pounds per acre do you plant?

25-30 Lbs broadcast. Depending on the reference source it may vary 5 lbs.

How high should you flood it?

I've seen people say as little as 4-6'' but I think more 8-12'' would be better.

Do you plant in your kill zone or do you plant on the outside of it?

I don't see how it could hurt. You should be thinking more about what type of pond/impoundment you have, cover, natural food sources etc. Is this already a feeding spot? loafing? roost? It's good to provide some variety in cover and food type for many reasons. Don't want your eggs all in one basket! You might consider mixing some WGF Sorghum or buckwheat. You can mix this in and flood it when you do the jap, or if you don't control the water level's you may want to plant the wheat/sorghum higher up, so it has more time to develop before you bring the water up.

What does it cost per 50lb. bag in your area

For me it was actually cheaper to have a #50 of jap mailed to me than buying it at the local Agway or seed and feed. Granted, I'm a city boy so option are few. My local Agway wanted about $80 which is absurd, I got it shipped to my door from FL for about $65, half of that cost being shipping.

I'd think that where you are you'd do a bit better. Polk around online there are a lot of good quick reads on this. Do a Google search on "duck food plot" and you'll get all the big online dealers who'll give ya a ballpark on prices and good condensed info. Feel free to shoot me a PM.

As I said I'm new, but I'll gladly share what I've learned.

Erich
Hauptmann-Team Sneak Attack

kal9wt wrote:Classic.  

Just walk right up and start shooting, sounds eerily remenescent of the bathing beach incident. Have fun E-Tard

TSA '11-'12
Shells: 310
Snows 29

KEA
Eschutz
hunter

Postby clemsonwoodie » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:14 am

i can get it here for 30 bucks for a 50lb bag
clemsonwoodie
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:56 am

Jap Millet will have a tendency to lie down when flooded to any depth, so it probably won't make any difference what your depth is. It's a weak stemmed plant. Its quality is that it's so easy to grow and does lie down into the water.

Be careful not to stomp down, mow or do anything to the millet after it has grown or headed out that will give the game wardens cause to ticket you for baiting. You cannot manipulate growing crops for waterfowl. I had a client ticketed last year because he drove his Rhino into their impoundment, growing with corn, rice & sorghum, to make adjustments to the roofs of the pitblinds. This was several weeks before the season came in, the impoundment was flooded to about 4 inches. First day of the season his son and & a buddy were given "baiting" tickets for hunting with the food source put on the ground! It's in litagation now. They'll probably be able to beat it, but the cost of the lawyers won't be cheap!
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby maxushooter68 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:36 am

Im actually about to spread some millet around the edge of my slough. I also wanted to mix in some rice. Is this possible and how do u plant it?
maxushooter68
hunter

Postby Eschutz » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:02 am

Too late for Rice, unless you are far south. Maybe mix in milo aka wgf sorgum or buckwheat to add to the buffet.

You can use a hand or push seed spreader to broadcast. Depends on how much ground you have to cover. Seed x2 as little as you think you should. Put the spreader to it's finest setting.

Erich

Just walk right up and start shooting, sounds eerily remenescent of the bathing beach incident. Have fun E-Tard

TSA '11-'12
Snows 29

KEA
Eschutz
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:14 pm

Go ahead and get it in as soon as possible and you should be ok with the jap millet. I have seen it germinate through october. as long as you dont get a frost you should be alright.

tenfingergrip wrote:Be careful not to stomp down, mow or do anything to the millet after it has grown or headed out that will give the game wardens cause to ticket you for baiting. You cannot manipulate growing crops for waterfowl. I had a client ticketed last year because he drove his Rhino into their impoundment, growing with corn, rice & sorghum, to make adjustments to the roofs of the pitblinds. This was several weeks before the season came in, the impoundment was flooded to about 4 inches. First day of the season his son and & a buddy were given "baiting" tickets for hunting with the food source put on the ground! It's in litagation now. They'll probably be able to beat it, but the cost of the lawyers won't be cheap!

That is ridiculous. I would be pissed. I always understood it as if it is in the act of hunting or hunting related and something gets moved unintentionally then it is legal. Unintentionally being the key word. What about bushing your blind with corn stalks??? Happens all of the time. That would make me hot. Souns like the GW had it out for them. How did he know they had gone in to work on the pitblinds??
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:35 pm

They (gamewarden) did not know someone had gone in to work on the pit blinds, they only knew that there was active, growing food that had been manually, intentionally put on the ground. They could see the tracks where the Rhino went. It was probably evident from the air or from the dike. What they saw was illegal as written in the federal regulations. Those guys will routinely go into an impoundment on Sunday (can't hunt here) to check out for bait, expended lead shot shells, etc. They don't feel they are doing their jobs unless they ticket a few folks everyday. They then lay in wait if they "uncover" an infraction and pounce on the law breaking criminal!
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Grunt » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:53 am

So we've had 100 degree days and no rain for past like 2 months, planted my millet later than I wanted too..hoping it will be producing before the first frost. Had to wait for some rain though. German millet was 23.00 and Jap Millet was 30.00 for 50 lbs in our area.
Grunt
hunter

Postby SALLY » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:21 am

I have planted several times already and cant keep it a live acccount of no rain here . I got 4 foot deep cracks in the ground because its so dry here
SALLY
hunter

Postby klee7013 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:38 pm

We planted ours this weekend
We couldn't disc where we wanted to plant. but we broadcasted and it poured down rain as soon as we finished so i guess we will see if it pushed it in the ground enough to grow.
klee7013
hunter

Postby Eschutz » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:20 am

SALLY wrote:I have planted several times already and cant keep it a live acccount of no rain here . I got 4 foot deep cracks in the ground because its so dry here

That's a PITA! Sorry to hear! Although I'd like to see a pic of those cracks.

TSA '11-'12
Snows 29

KEA
Eschutz
hunter

Postby SALLY » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:49 pm

There real commom here east of town in that black soil. The other day when I was out there I stuck a garden hose and it never filled up. Its super good soil for farming. But we haven't had rain in several months
SALLY
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology