Ohio approves apprentice hunting license

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

Ohio approves apprentice hunting license

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:19 pm

Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bluebilldays » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:40 pm

Just my opinion. I do not think that it is a bad idea. This may be a good way to get more of the younger, and even older people to get into the sport. Like the artical said, not everyone is willing to sit through a course, and not even sure if they would like it. Get them hooked first.
bluebilldays
hunter

Postby Smokepole » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:30 am

I actually have a different take on this, to me it seems to be more of a "MONEY" maker issue. It will bring in more revenue earlier in the hunting programs. The license fees are still the same and then the Safe Hunter Course is required to allow solo hunting.

My son in law mentioned he would like to give hunting a try. He has never hunted and his only shooting experience has come from shooing skeet a few times a year. Of course he borrows my firearms for skeet, but depending on the type of hunting he would select to participate would determine additional equipment, boots, orange clothing, possibly new pants, shirts, jackets, and what about the firearms, ammo, etc. get the picture.

To us who have been hunting for years it doesn't seem like such a big deal. But check this out; I have been asked to apply for an elk permit in Montana for this fall. These guys are going to be 3-4 miles from where the park the truck for a 5 day "pack-in" hunt. This would be a great experience if drawn. Now the down side. I am predominatly a waterfowl hunter. Which means I will require "lots of NEW and different gear".

This situation could/would hold true for someone trying deer/turkey hunting for the first time to see if he/she would "like" deer/turkey hunting. So from mypoint of view, it is all a money issue.

Sorry to be negative here, but if the government is involved there always seems to be something more to a situation.

All those who purchase the "learners" permit, will have my full support and I will help any who ask for help.

Sincerely
Smokepole
If you must smoke..... make it black powder
Smokepole
hunter

Postby bluebilldays » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:00 am

Not a problem, different opinions are great, and you make a good point. Money is an issue with anything involved with buisness. I do know that a portion of profits of hunting/fishing license, and gear is going back to the resources and DNR. I am not to sure how much, but I will be looking it up to see. When I take a first timer out(waterfowling), I do have the gear they need (unless they have ***** lot of money and want to waste there cash), but they are experieced hunters in other fields ie: deer, turkey, upland game. Chances are they atleast have cammo gear and some basics. All in all, we need to pay close attention on getting the younger generations involed in the sport. They are the next generations of the sport we all love, and need to continue the fight for sportmans rights. Take care and maybe see you at the skeet range in the spring.
bluebilldays
hunter

Postby Smokepole » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:02 pm

I can cover a new hunter with most gear, but clothing would be the issue.
As for the youngsters, my daughters never had an interest in hunting but now that I have grandchildren (oldest one just turned 5) maybe I'll have a new partner.

My grandson said he wil go hunting with me when he is "35", I hope it happens alot sooner than that.

Stop out to the Sportsman Gun and Reel Club on Middle Ridge Road in Amherst Twp. They shoot skeet Thursday nights 6:00 p.m.- 9:00 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays 12:00 p.m. till 4:00 p.m.
I'll be the one making all the "smoke" on the skeet range. :getdown:

Ask for AJ.

Sincerely,
Smokepole
If you must smoke..... make it black powder
Smokepole
hunter

Postby bluebilldays » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:13 pm

Don't worry smokepole, I know who you are. I use to shoot up there all the time, and then I got recall back to active duty and I havent been around in awhile. Sold my ruger O/U, and 361, to help pay bills while I was away. It sucks, and now that I am back recruiting for the Navy, I just need to get back into it. Hope to see you there this year!!! That gun of yours was sure neat to see on the skeet range.
bluebilldays
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting