SE Minnesota (Winona)

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

SE Minnesota (Winona)

Postby Cougar12A » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:17 pm

Hey i'm born and raised around here. i'm 22 just wondering if anyone would like to go hunting with me? hunting alone gets a little lonely once and awhile. and is always more fun with other people, write back if your interested.
Cougar12A
hunter

Re: SE Minnesota (Winona)

Postby Cougar12A » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:43 pm

anyone at all?
Cougar12A
hunter

Postby goldfish » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:14 pm

Don't get down to the SE much. Last year I mostly hunted just west of the metro. If you're up for a hike I don't mind a passenger, or if you have a good spot I suppose I could come find ya too.
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby recker » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:42 am

I hunt alot just north of winona about 18 miles. Email me if you want to chat recker222000@yahoo.com
recker
hunter

Postby Cougar12A » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:42 pm

hey goldfish - where do you normally hunt up there? hows the hunting? how do you hunt? like a boat or what. i'm game for anything, the spots are really hit and miss tho.

hey recker - i'm emailing you now.
Cougar12A
hunter

Postby goldfish » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:28 pm

Pick a hole west of the metro basically. I live in Shakopee. There are a couple REALLY convenient places that I can go, but so does everyone else. If I'm feeling lazy I go there just to get out. Have had a couple opportunities there, but it's really hard when the 30 other groups are screaming at the same birds. Otherwise I head about an hour or so west and have had ok luck getting birds.

I've got my dad's old 14' aluminum boat that I’ve got a 9.9 'Rude and just picked up a 9hp home made long tail (that works so so) so I've only been hunting over water. Some walk in spots, but my buddy that I hunted with most of last year is in shape (round is still a shape last I checked) so he doesn't like to really fight the thickets etc for a good spot. He doesn't have waders either (I think that's on purpose because it keeps me going to get birds and not him). I would love to try field hunting (this will be my second year waterfowling since I was a kid) and have an old layout blind and a couple goose shells if you've got a field.

Ok, I'm done (with the parenthesis).

goldfish
hunter

Postby Cougar12A » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:30 am

lol its all good goldfish. i've actually never hunted fields before, i've wanted to try. it'd be fun cause its differen't i've always walked to my spots or used a canoe. i'm not the greatest at calling, but its only my 2nd year actually calling. pretty sad for a 22 yr old but oh well. how old are you? i'm sure we both could make some trips. not this year tho cause i'm on a deployment in the **** desert but i come home nov. 4th on leave so i'm going to be doing some hunting here around home.
Cougar12A
hunter

Postby Gunnersb » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:05 am

Hey I'm 24 just got into duck and goose hunting as well just a couple years ago would be cool to do done duck hunting together
Gunnersb
hunter

Postby goldfish » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:57 am

Yea, 27 here. I'm not too horrible at a duck call, but can't figure out a short reed goose call for the life of me, lol. This will be my second year actually hunting ducks. My dad and uncle used to duck hunt when I was a kid and I would always tag along because I would see the birds before they did. Kind of surprised what all I picked up back then and retained. I went out with my friend and would throw the deeks in a pattern (not just helter-skelter) and he's like "Why do you do that?" I didn't even realize that I was really. Learned to call a little back then and I guess it stuck pretty well too. I'm no competition caller, but it turned a few birds for me last year so I can't be that bad. I've had the calls in my truck since last summer and practice on them most days into and back home from work.

goldfish
hunter

Postby Gunnersb » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:37 am

What city do you hunt near could hook up and do some goose killing together in a couple weeks got everything you need to do it not bad with a short reed I use a foil meet grinder
Gunnersb
hunter

Postby Cougar12A » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:51 pm

hey guys. i live in winona. and i'd definitely be game for meeting up and doing some hunting, if you guys want to message me your cell numbers i'll give you a call when i come home on leave on this deployment, and we can meet up and do some hunting.

I'm John btw. Sounds like we could do some massive killing. I'd love to be home for early goose season. 2 years ago opening day i got 2 banded geese. it was AWESOME!!
Cougar12A
hunter

Postby Gunnersb » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:34 am

What's up john my name is spenser live in winona as we'll. I'm game for hunting any time any day anywhere. When you going to be heading home defiantly hook up and do some killing. Was wondering if you could point me out to a couple spots in winona to kill some geese
Gunnersb
hunter

Postby Cougar12A » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:57 am

uhm geese for early goose season? or during the regular season?
Cougar12A
hunter

Postby Gunnersb » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:08 am

Early season sept. 3rd water or fields
Gunnersb
hunter

Postby Cougar12A » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:53 am

hmm do you have an instant messenger like msn messenger or skype? or a facebook? i can add ya and tell ya on there.
Cougar12A
hunter

Postby Gunnersb » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:44 am

Ya skype user name is spenserbrown1 phone number is 507 459 2339
Gunnersb
hunter

Postby Cougar12A » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:57 am

ok added ya on skype. i don't have a cell right now cause i'm in a different country but i'll have it when i come home on leave.
Cougar12A
hunter

Postby Gunnersb » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:29 am

Sounds good anyway you could help a guy out though with a couple spots to try to shoot some geese in the early season?
Gunnersb
hunter

Postby Cougar12A » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:45 am

yea hop on skype.
Cougar12A
hunter

Postby goldfish » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:03 am

GOOD CALL not posting it over here, lol. Spenser would be joined by 15 other people he didn't know, lol.

If you can find a spot for early goose, let me know. I've got some floaters and some shells if it's a field. I probably won't do any early season hunting otherwise, just wait till ducky season.

goldfish
hunter

Postby Gunnersb » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:37 am

What's up gold fish I got so couple spots to try where you located? Could possible meet up and do some shooting.
Gunnersb
hunter

Postby dfrauenkron » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:11 pm

Howdy guys, just seen this post thought I would give a shout out. I hunt primarily LaCrescent area not sure if you guys ever get that way. Be cool to hook up with some new guys. Never been north of Treampleau dam for hunting. I am 28 and live in Houston. Don't hunt early goose cause I have not much for gear for goose, but come duck season don't miss a weekend. Have a boat and quite a bit of duck gear.
dfrauenkron
hunter

Postby goldfish » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:31 pm

I'm up in Shakopee (sw part of the cities).

I have an old field blind that has never been used (not even mudded yet), 4 flambeau floating/shell decoys, and then about a dozen hand-me-down shells, but that's the extent of my goose hunting equipment for fields. For water (Oooooooo, he didn't just say that because that must mean he busts the roosts!!! :rolleyes: ) I've got about a half dozen (those 4 floater/shells and 3 old hand-me-down floaters). Got way too many duck decoys though, lol. All cheapies or hand-me-downs, but it works. Even the boat is my dad's old boat, but it's fun and works for me. Only leaks mabye around a 1/4 gallon or so of water if you are out all day, lol.

goldfish
hunter

Postby Gunnersb » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:42 pm

Bust the roost really what are you talking about!!
Gunnersb
hunter

Postby Cougar12A » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:53 pm

i'm game to come down to la crescent and try hunting down there. and i really wish i was home this year to go hunting. you guys talking are making me miss it.
Cougar12A
hunter

Next

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting