training my lab

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

training my lab

Postby rivershark » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:50 pm

Can you cross train a lab for ducks and upland game?
i dont know who you are or where you're going, but its a race to get there!
there are 3 things that make or break a friendship: politics, religion and duck hunting
rivershark
hunter

Re: training my lab

Postby montana bound » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:20 pm

Yes you can , All our labs are used for duck and upland , we have 9 the two youngest are little more then a year old and will hunt upland this fall before they duck hunt.
You get out of a dog , what you put into a dog!
montana bound
hunter

Postby California Sprig » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:10 am

Yes. Most hunters use their labs for both waterfowl and upland.get a couple good training books or videos or have a pro train him.
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Postby rivershark » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:16 am

He's been pro trained for waterfowl but I was thinking about buying a few bird traps to start with his tracking.
there are 3 things that make or break a friendship: politics, religion and duck hunting
rivershark
hunter

Postby California Sprig » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:26 pm

For all the labs I've had upland hunting pretty much came naturally. What you need to do is control them so they hunt fairly close and come back to the whistle when they get outa little too far.
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Postby rivershark » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:22 am

Now will they have a natural point of their own? I just wasn't sure how my commands should go.
rivershark
hunter

Postby McDerry » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:20 pm

rivershark wrote:Now will they have a natural point of their own? I just wasn't sure how my commands should go.

Some do.
McDerry
hunter

Postby mylabisbetterthanme » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:21 am

My lab was pro trained for duck but is a natural at pheasant. He will point also. He will not hold the point rigidly as some dogs will. But generally it is enough time for me to get my gun up and give him a command to flush.
mylabisbetterthanme
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:59 am

If you have a lab that points, its broken. send it back.

In my opinion, have owned and hunted over labs for at LEAST..... 4 years. Okay, I am on my first lab still. the upland hunting was much easier and more natural then waterfowling. I have a female that is attached to my hip 24/7 so getting her to work close upland hunting was teaching her that sometimes its okay to wonder out more then 15 yards. Once she had basic obedience down, I took her out upland hunting. About 30 minutes in, she nearly fell over a partridge that flushed about 10 yards out, I shot it, she saw it fall. A clicked B, B equalled C. and she figured out all on her own if she finds these feathery things that smell like this, the dufus behind her will shoot them with the bang bang stick, and she'll be able to play fetch. I hunt with lots of guys with all different kinds of dogs, IMO, a lab is one of the best for upland hunting in the type of cover we hunt in the northeast.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby rivershark » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:35 pm

Yea I figured id need my E collar to keep him in check, he's got a lil spunk. I've only been upland hunting once on a reserve but id like to do more and have seen on tv how handy a good dog is. Im thinking from what I've read that a couple of bird launchers is a good way to get him going.. great info btw everyone, thanks.
rivershark
hunter

Return to Upland Game