Diver Hunt near Cincinnati Dec 31st.~Open Spots.

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

Re: Diver Hunt near Cincinnati Dec 31st.~Open Spots.

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:41 am

Craxty wrote:This is just beautiful. I'm new to this sport. I've had no one to learn from but I'm trying to learn as much as I can. I actually felt really bad because I thought I was cyber scouting. I actually had not idea of the concept. I looked at various posts from don and a couple of "the regulars" completely flaming everyone about cyber scouting. For being a "State and Forum Moderator" sounds like you should do some "cyber scouting" yourself before you go on a hunt. A little humility goes a long way. I'm suddenly no longer feeling bad that you ignored my PM about the trip.

On that subject unfortunately it just takes time and a lot of hunts in areas you've looked at during the off months. Between birds that migrate and weather conditions that change constantly - all you can do is look hard enough, at enough spots available to you and pick the one (out of several) you're gonna arrive at, at darkthirty. You'll have to factor weather, water, wind, and any number of other factors. All of this stuff you've made notes on during the year i.e. when would this spot be a good one to hold ducks. Then you have ag fields, roosting spots, pressure.

The best spots are the ones that are hardest to get to, hardest to find. And...if you shoot one will it require a dog to retrieve it.

Waterfowl hunting isn't like deer or rabbit hunting. Those take a vest, pocket of shells, and an 870. Most can't make the leap to be successful waterfowlers. It's a lot of work (all year) for not many birds.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:52 am

Several press releases on the Harris topic. Assuming it's the same guy...it's a pretty good heads up.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby don taylor » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:46 am

Now the truth comes out. Shawn from Fowl Play isn't the Shawn who was busted poaching. Believe it or not, there is more than 1 Shawn Harris out there. This has been an issue for him for several years and it's people like you, who assume it's the same guy, who perpetuate the idea he is one in the same as the poacher.

Nice.

If you had read the T's and C's, you'd have known to keep it to yourself or sent a PM to me.

Its funny how 1200 views later, you were the only one who made the false connection. Seems like you guys needed to do the research, not me.

If he chooses to press charges in court, so be it.

Enjoy your day.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:59 am

don taylor wrote:Now the truth comes out. Shawn from Fowl Play isn't the Shawn who was busted poaching. Believe it or not, there is more than 1 Shawn Harris out there. This has been an issue for him for several years and it's people like you, who assume it's the same guy, who perpetuate the idea he is one in the same as the poacher.

Nice.

If you had read the T's and C's, you'd have known to keep it to yourself or sent a PM to me.

Its funny how 1200 views later, you were the only one who made the false connection. Seems like you guys needed to do the research, not me.

If he chooses to press charges in court, so be it.

Enjoy your day.

It was the middle initial (M) that made validation tough. Glad you're on a good hunt Don.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Shot caller » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:42 am

Don, all I was doing was trying to help some guys out. You need to do some further investigation yourself.. It is the same guy. I dont normaly post on forums I like to read about peoples hunts and see pictures, but after reading your original post I decided to say what needed to be said. Guys like this give us law abiding hunters a bad image. If your ok with that so be it but im not! Guys take it as you will. I know what im talking about. Like I said before not trying to start anything just trying to help out some fellow waterfowlers...
Shot caller
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:49 am

This is the most interesting the Ohio forum has been in a long time!
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby carolinagreenhead » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:40 pm

This thread is going nowhere. Don seems to be sure of the person he is hunting with and he's sure its not the same person so leave him to his hunt. I'm not pulling any posts just yet but let Don organize his hunt so I don't have to. Your experiences are not always the same as others.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby don taylor » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:09 am

Look, I'm a smart guy, but I could be being fooled.

PM me what you know, if you know something I don't. The people I've asked have told me Shawn from Fowlplay is a good guy. He's a Pro staffer for a decoy company and a call company. He was meeting and introducing himself at the waterfowler's bootcamp by name. He donated a hunt to the prize package there. Why would he do that if he was this notorious Ohio poacher? That's pretty bold and borderline stupid, if it is the same guy.

I just don't see how all these people are making this mistake.

Unless I see a picture of him coming out of court and its the same guy I see pictures of hunting, I can't assume it's the same guy. Even if you do confirm it, what would you have me do? He's got my money and other guys as well. He's not gunning with us and we're not breaking any laws on this hunt. We're using his gear and he's scouting for us.

PM me what you know. I'll continue to look.

Sorry for jumping on you, many guys just join to talk garbage on a guide because they had a bad hunt. Since he's not here to defend himself and you could affect his livelihood because of it, we generally edit posts. I picked up on your 3rd post your only trying to help.

If CGH let's it ride, that's fine by me. I don't make those calls.

Obviously I wouldn't book with somebody I knew to be a poacher, but I don't know what I can do at this point with the info I have.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Craxty » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:24 pm

Last edited by Craxty on Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby don taylor » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:56 am

What good would I do myself if I put out a call for hunters who want to join me, but didn't reply to PM's? Trust me. I'm not a jerk like that. Hard nosed and opinionated, maybe a little short fused, but I'm not going to ignore PM's from anybody. I'd be a poor mod if I did that. I had posted several times in other threads I was having PM problems, I just didn't hit this one.

No biggie, I'm over it. I hope everybody else is as well.

Best of luck on the search for teal.

I'd be content with this thread dying, if nobody minds. If anybody has anything else they'd like to add, PM me. I haven't had issue for a week of so, I should get them. Simply post 'PM sent' here if I don't get back in a day or so. I'll check the thread and see who to expect one from.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Lovetolayout » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:04 pm

could you update us on how the hunt went and will you be going again next year or yet this Jan 2012?
Lovetolayout
Newb

Postby don taylor » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:26 am

Some of the guys were unsure about hunting the river in layouts with all the debris coming down, so we opted for a local lake. It was windy and warm, warm enough to bring out fisherman who had no respect for hunters. We saw a few birds, but got skunked. Such is hunting.

Shawn is a nice guy who went totally by the books. The birds just didn't fly well. One flock got bumped by a fisherman, went straight up, then straight back down. It didn't help that trolling fisherman were all around us and 100 yards from layouts.

I'd go again with Shawn, but doubt it would be out there, for that. I'll have a layout boat before next season and I'll do it myself.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby don taylor » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:37 am

As far as the January hunt, I couldn't find enough guys when I put out the call last time. 2 responded and I'd need a few more. I'm going out to Jersey for sea ducks this weekend anyways and really am pushing my luck with the woman of the house.

I wouldn't hesitate to hunt layouts in the spot where Shawn took the guys on the river. They saw tons of birds the night before where Shawn took them to scout. We could have put a hurting on the puddle ducks, but that wasn't what we were after. I kill piles of mallards here at home, why go out of state to shoot them, is where we were at.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Shot caller » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:20 am

[quote="don taylor"]Some of the guys were unsure about hunting the river in layouts with all the debris coming down, so we opted for a local lake. It was windy and warm, warm enough to bring out fisherman who had no respect for hunters. We saw a few birds, but got skunked. Such is hunting.

Shawn is a nice guy who went totally by the books. The birds just didn't fly well. One flock got bumped by a fisherman, went straight up, then straight back down. It didn't help that trolling fisherman were all around us and 100 yards from layouts.

I'd go again with Shawn, but doubt it would be out there, for that. I'll have a layout boat before next season and I'll do it myself.[/quote

Hahahahaha. Im not sure which of your last two post I like the most. The State of Indiana appreciates you donating your money...to bad you wasted $150 on a Dbag like Shawn. If it makes you feel better he also donated some money to the state of IN back in wood duck season for hunting with a unplugged gun, while guiding some clients... I don't care if this post gets deleted. You my friend are either naive or just plain gullible. Have a great new year.
Shot caller
hunter

Postby don taylor » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:59 am

So, after sending someone a deposit from 6 guys, then finding out that person might be a law breaker, you'd just forfeit the deposit? $450 dollars? Maybe you have it like that, I don't. I trusted the info I got from people I trust a whole lot more than people like you, some faceless basher on the internet. I even hesitated replying to this, knowing somebody would give me chit.

He didn't have a gun and didn't hunt with us, he provided boats, decoys and area knowledge. That's it.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Shot caller » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:56 pm

don taylor wrote:So, after sending someone a deposit from 6 guys, then finding out that person might be a law breaker, you'd just forfeit the deposit? $450 dollars? Maybe you have it like that, I don't. I trusted the info I got from people I trust a whole lot more than people like you, some faceless basher on the internet. I even hesitated replying to this, knowing somebody would give me chit.

He didn't have a gun and didn't hunt with us, he provided boats, decoys and area knowledge. That's it.

:bow: :bow: :bow:
Your informants must be more naive then yourself :hammer:
Shot caller
hunter

Postby don taylor » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:36 am

Explain how that is, smart guy. Keep up with the snide remarks. See where that gets you. Who are you and why would I take your word over the word of an owner of a popular call company that I personally talked to on the phone about this? Your nobody, a guy with 5 posts. Only in your head are you important enough to have an opinion that matters. To the rest of DHC, your completely meaningless. If you have some personal problem with the man, deal with it yourself. If I wouldn't have read this stuff posted by people like you, I would have no clue and would never have thought that of the man. Know why? HE DID NOT BREAK ANY LAWS WITH ME.

I own about 9 Foiles calls as well and own a gun that is capable of floating the 4th. Jump on me about that now, please.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Shot caller » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:11 am

don taylor wrote:Explain how that is, smart guy. Keep up with the snide remarks. See where that gets you. Who are you and why would I take your word over the word of an owner of a popular call company that I personally talked to on the phone about this? Your nobody, a guy with 5 posts. Only in your head are you important enough to have an opinion that matters. To the rest of DHC, your completely meaningless. If you have some personal problem with the man, deal with it yourself. If I wouldn't have read this stuff posted by people like you, I would have no clue and would never have thought that of the man. Know why? HE DID NOT BREAK ANY LAWS WITH ME.

I own about 9 Foiles calls as well and own a gun that is capable of floating the 4th. Jump on me about that now, please.

Don ,I don't know how I can explain it any more vaguely without drawing you I picture... Maybe you know a little more then you are willing to admit :huh: Don't know, don't really give a crap... I am a little more important then you might think.Guys like Shawn will get there's in the end. Its only a matter of time before he pushes it to far again. The reason for all of my post is because you got on here trying to help this poacher out by setting up hunts , giving your word of how good a guy he is and how he's a very good friend. You either u no what im talking about with what he has done or u don't no him well enough to be giving people your word. :no:
Shot caller
hunter

Postby don taylor » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:06 am

No, I got on here not trying to help him, I was trying to see if some guys I know from Ohio wanted to get on a hunt. I said he was a friend and came recommended...because he did and after talking to him, he was a friend. I'm not trying to give any poacher business, but I'll ask you the same question again, since you ignore it.

If you gave a guy $450 in deposits, then found out after the fact, would you...

A.) Call him out and forfeit our money.

B.) Call him out and risk having him not show when we go to meet.

C.) Make sure no laws are broken and go through with the hunt.

Those we're our options. What would you have done?

If you want 'Shawn to get his in the end' or whatever you said, you obviously have an issue. Deal with him, don't hassle me for making the most of a bad situation.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby sliprig » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:14 pm

Lets get back to the hunt, what lake did you hunt? I've alway have problems with inconsiderate fisherman. So don't know any better, some just a-holes

slip
sliprig
Newb

Postby don taylor » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:49 am

The whole plan was to hunt the river near Lawrenceburg. Being the river was so high, some of the guys brought up safety. Somebody said they didn't want the layout's anchor to get caught in debris as large as a school bus. After getting the mental image of a rolling tree snatching an anchor, I even conceded that it might not be safe. There are birds, scouting the night before the guys saw 800+ in their estimation. We went to a lake and I didn't actually pay attention to the name, but it was in a state park in Brookville. Shawn's friend killed cans there yesterday and we figured it was as good a shot as anywhere. We went out, set up the layouts and sat until noon. While there were plenty of snags along the way, nothing that we could have done differently would have put birds in the air. The flock we saw come off the water from a passing boat went straight up, then straight back down. We saw singles and high fliers, but nothing wanted to work. Knowing what I know now, I would have opted to hunt on shore of the river and shot a gadwall. The park was like at home... Probably would produce, but only gets hot days every once in a while. I wasn't impressed with the way the day went, it was a rough one, especially for Shawn. He started the day taking a shot right between the eyes from a swinging car door. But, like I said, nothing would have changed the outcome of the day. We needed to be on the river in the layouts.

Either way, this was my first and last guided hunt in a layout. I'll have my own next year. I've got a NJ sea duck hunt this weekend and I'm done. There is nothing I can't do solo, I just need the gear. The layout boat is the only thing stopping me.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Pappy84 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:12 pm

Thought you guys might like another view of the hunt from someone that was there. We joined up with Shawn Friday afternoon to do some pre-hunt scouting. We knew the river was unhuntable a week before due to high water but that was Shawn's call and not ours. Thank God we did not go to the river as you will see. Shawn asked us to drive for scouting as his truck was broken down and showed us ducks behind the casino at a place called Oxbow but you cant hunt there so it dident mater if there were 2 or 2000. We then drove to Brookville lake quite a distance from Lawrenceburg where we would hunt. We saw 3 divers in the huntable part of the lake and maybe a small group in the refuge on the north end. It looked like he had done no scouting before we arrived even when he knew the river was out of the question a week before.

Joined Shawn Saturday morning a few miles north of Lawrenceburg and then went back into town for him to get gas for the boat. We then followed him north to Brookville lake. Shawn had said we would hunt the north end of the lake Friday after we scouted. We pulled into a park office about middle of the lake to regester and insted of continueing north we went right down to the lake. One of our group had done layout hunts before ( I'll call him Zip) and Shawn asked him to go out with him and set things up before the rest of us came out. When things were set, Myself, my SIL and Zip were to hunt the layouts first and Don with the other two guys would hunt with Shawn from his big boat around the point. I have only hunted from a layout once up in Erie and the tender boat was in contact with the hunter both thru sight and radio so I thought Shawn's set up was a little strange.

With in the first 15 minutes Zip said his layout was leeking and 20 minutes after that he had to call Shawn by phone to come and get him. When they pulled his boat out there was a ton of water in it and if it was not for his waders he would have been soaked. Shawn asked if my SIL and myself were ok, which we were and said he would be back in 1 hour. He took Zip and went back to join the other 3 guys around the point. I dont know how long it was but figuring we were in the latouts at 7:30, he picked up Zip at 8:15, the next time we saw Shawn had to be around 10:30 and he was taking the rest of the guys back to the launch. My SIL and I pulled our anchors and let the wind blow us to shore. I was more than a little pissed off that he would leave us for that long and not even check on us when he went by.

Why I would not use Shawn again...

Used our gas to do his scouting.
Had done no previous scouting on the lake he wanted to hunt when he knew the river was unhuntable.
Was not ready to run 3 layout boats the morning of our hunt.
Needed help with rigging, long lines.
Asked for advice on how set up for the wind we had.
Equipment was bad.(Layouts leaked, decoys were cracked and some sunk)
Left his hunters with no means to communicate if there had been a problem and did not come back when he said he would.
Friends don't make promises they can't keep.
Pappy84
hunter

Postby Shot caller » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:50 pm

Pappy84. Sorry you had such a bad trip. You seem like a nice, honest fella... You come down this way again shoot me a pm and i'll take you out. Free of charge of course...
Shot caller
hunter

Postby don taylor » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:03 am

Pappy, you probably could have elaborated more. I'm sorry that a hunt that I set up went off so poorly. That was my 1st time with a guide or using layouts, I didn't know what to expect.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Pappy84 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:11 am

don taylor wrote:Pappy, you probably could have elaborated more.

Gee Don, I think I covered it quite well.

The question we all had was why you did'ent come down to the launch and say goodbye with everyone else. :huh:

One good thing about the trip was we all came home a little smarter. :fingerhead:
Friends don't make promises they can't keep.
Pappy84
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting