Fly fishing the Roaring Fork River & Frying Pan River

If you are looking for the best duck hunting in Colorado, this is the place.

Moderator: dukhnter7

Fly fishing the Roaring Fork River & Frying Pan River

Postby Matt Hogan » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:46 pm

I'm going to be in Aspen fly fishing and was wonder if anyone had any fly fishing tips for around there. Thanks for the help.
Heroes get remembered, but legends never die.
Matt Hogan
hunter

Re: Fly fishing the Roaring Fork River & Frying Pan River

Postby dukhnter7 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:33 pm

Your best bet is to check with the local fly shop. They usually have waterflows and hatch information on a board and can help you out. Good luck!
dukhnter7
State Moderator

Postby duckman27 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:01 pm

With the amount of water that there is in the creeks and rivers right now you can't go wrong with a San Jaun. Check with the local fly shop though
duckman27
hunter

Postby Catfish_Hunter » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:08 pm

maybe be a little late but thought id throw in my 2 cents. I lived about 2 minutes from the roaring fork river for several years and just moved from there a few years back. I learned how to fly fish in those area.

Just a warning though when gogin to the fly shops exspecially tayler creek fly shop. If you plan on asking them "what are they biting on" be prepared to get some flashy names of classic flies. They will tell you that only their custom flies will work lol.
They will tell you whats working but be prepared to pay the price at the register. they do a daily fishing report on the local radio station too thats worth listening too.

Personally i would nymph fish with a two fly setup and a thingamabobber or float. Your first and heavyier fly should be a brassy or bead head copper jon in red or green. followd by a smaller stonefly nymp chech nymph or midge. San juan worms and eggs work as well but not always. The frying pan is alot tougher to fish and way more crowded then the fork.

If you catch the mayflys or stoneflys you might get some dry fly action but i wouldnt count on it. BWO's and GWO's hatch during the summer and a dry fly followed by and emerger works great when you can find a hatch.

shoot me a pm and I'll tell you where to fish.

If you really want to put a hurtin on some lunker trout put away the fly rod and toss a floating rapala on a spinning road. be prepared to cacth 5-15 fish per hour using this method. I would show up to a fishing spot sometime that would be lined for hundreds of yards with fly fishers dabbling their holes not catching anything and throw a rapala out there and cacth a 24 inch trout the first cast.
Catfish_Hunter
hunter

Postby Catfish_Hunter » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:13 pm

Here's a thread i started a few years back at the end of duck season. Still ice on the river and water was frigid but we managed to catch a few.

viewtopic.php?f=82&t=114740

If you can find that bridge go downstream along the narrow trail baout 300 yards and there's a deep wash that holds a crazy amount of good fish once the flows slow down. If the waters muddy they dont bite but if its green or clear its on...
Attachments
coloradohatchchart.jpg
Catfish_Hunter
hunter

Return to Colorado Duck Hunting