Duck Hunting Forum banner

Going to Saskatchewan, Sept 3, 2011

5K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  swifthunter 
#1 ·
HOWDY!

I am planning a hunting trip to Saskatchewan from September 3 - 10. Not my choice of dates, the only time I can get off work.

I would appreciate some recommendations as to where I should go. I will be taking my 14 year old nephew.

Do I need a boat? Are there plenty of public hunting areas?

I have been reviewing the Province website.

THANKS!

#2 ·
No boat needed, actually quite a few of the lakes in SK you can't hunt waterfowl on. Most of the land is private but acess is easy. I am not sure if you know this or not but in the south bird area you can't hunt dark geese or cranes till Sept.10 but can start hunting snows sept.1 but in the north bird area you can hunt all geese and cranes starting sept. 1.
http://www.environment.gov.sk.ca/adx/as ... 066cf9f09e
This link is the 2011 regs in case you haven't seen them yet.
http://www.environment.gov.sk.ca/adx/as ... &l=English
This link shows where the north and south game bird area is.
If you got any more questions just ask!

#4 ·
Also one more thing I advise you stay in the north game bird area beacuse then you will be able to shoot the local canadas and might even get lucky and get a snow. Down south all you would have is the ducks (there is local canadas there but due to your dates you wouldn't be able to hunt them) plus the snows would be in extremely low numbers or none at all so you probably would have poor luck with them.

#5 ·
Keep in mind you won't be able to do any upland game birds because of the dates Sept 15 upland begins. also you can only hunt snows all day only in zones east of 106 degrees latitude which is about 20 miles east of Saskatoon. Good luck on the local birds and you might lucky and shoot some northern honkers and the odd snow goose. There will be lots of sandhill cranes and mosquitoes.

#6 ·
Okay, I will go to the North Zone. :thumbsup:

I will leave the water alone, ... for the birds to roost. :thumbsup:

What quantity of ammunition am I allowed to bring? I would like to bring 2 - 3 cases. :yes:

THANKS!

:beer:

#7 ·
wildphilhickup said:

What quantity of ammunition am I allowed to bring? I would like to bring 2 - 3 cases. :yes:

THANKS!

You can bring as many as you want...you just have to pay duty on the remaining, after 200 shells.

#8 ·
wildphilhickup said:

THANKS!

Wow. You're expecting a lot. If it's your first time, you will be disappointed if your expecting to shoot 20-30 boxes of shells yourself. You aren't going to need nearly that many shells. The limit is only 8 ducks and 8 canadas per day. As far as leaving the water alone, that only applies to geese. Especially when your going, the vast majority of the duck hunting will be over water. Heck, this year there will be ducks that can't even fly yet, lot's of late hatches I'm hearing.

#10 ·
Okay, ... I wil bring a net. Duckling "satay" is most excellent with the little quackers. :no:

Re: Shells For me I will only need 4 rounds per day to get my limit of ducks. I always shoot doubles, 2 for 1. For geese it might take 8 shells to get my limit each day. But, I am taking my nephew, ... and he might need a case to shoot a few birds.

Thanks for all your inputs guys. Much appreciated.

By the way, I called Hussein today and invited him to go hunt with us. :thumbsup: He declined. He said he had campaign fund raising events to attend. :yes:

#11 ·
good luck we went last year and had a blast. we went the last weekend in sept and it was a little early so we are going this year around oct. 15. please give me a report when you get back. listen to ask sask he gave me a lot of great advice. good luck but remember not all the birds will have their color. by the way where you from in texas...

#13 ·
bbb_wingshooter said:
good luck we went last year and had a blast. we went the last weekend in sept and it was a little early so we are going this year around oct. 15. please give me a report when you get back. listen to ask sask he gave me a lot of great advice. good luck but remember not all the birds will have their color. by the way where you from in texas...
Where are you going and what type of geese are you targeting?

#14 ·
HOWDY! :hi:

I be from the North part of the GREAT State of TEXAS, ... Home of the Bush Family. :yes: I reside near McKinney, Texas - about 1 hour south of Sherman / Texoma.

We are targeting ducks and geese. We like to eat them all. :hammer:

* The Remingtons are going with us. 870 & 11-87. :thumbsup:

* Where is the best location - town - to pick up our hunting licenses?

THANKS!

#15 ·
Here you need 3 things. A habitat certificate, a upland bird license and a federal migratory bird stamp. The first 2 can be bought at most gas station or grocery stores. The last one must be bought at a post office which is open Mon-Fri and I think the hrs are like 8-5 or 8-5:30 or something in that area.

#17 ·
I have been hunting Saskatchewan for 22 years and Ont. years before that. Bought a small place at Fairey Glen which is about 18 klm. north of Melfort.Most hunters stop short of this area . If you are willing to drive a little farther there will be NO competition for the birds. Stop by the municipale township office and pick up a property owners map and find a phone book. This really helps you locate the owners of the land the birds are feeding on. I have never been turned down but I always ask before I hunt. Don't take shells . You can buy them at any WallMart,Wholesale Sports, Canadian Tire etc. Be realistic if this is your first trip. You have to learn the ropes. If it was as easy as everyone thinks Canada would be full of American hunters.Next to guns and decoys the most important piece of equipment is a layout blind. Good luck!

#18 ·
I would definetely bring shells. The shells I've bought up there have been very expensive, ($25+ per box), although I've never tried Walmart. I always bring 10 boxes and have never been charged duty. It's true, the farther north you go the less competition you will have as a rule.

#19 ·
Thank You all for the information you have provided. It has been very helpful. I know we will have fun. :yes:

* I willl bring shells. :thumbsup: I bought about 40 cases of Winchester Dry Lok 12 gauge Magnum, 3", #2, #3, #4, #T, #BB - 10 boxes per case, last year for $150.00 per case. :wink: Anybody need some? :thumbsup:

THANKS AGAIN!

Wild Phil Hick Up

(They call me Wild Phil cauz I am crazy. The Hick Up comes from drinking beer) :beer:

#20 ·
lbhatty said:
I have been hunting Saskatchewan for 22 years and Ont. years before that. Bought a small place at Fairey Glen which is about 18 klm. north of Melfort.Most hunters stop short of this area . If you are willing to drive a little farther there will be NO competition for the birds. Stop by the municipale township office and pick up a property owners map and find a phone book. This really helps you locate the owners of the land the birds are feeding on. I have never been turned down but I always ask before I hunt. Don't take shells . You can buy them at any WallMart,Wholesale Sports, Canadian Tire etc. Be realistic if this is your first trip. You have to learn the ropes. If it was as easy as everyone thinks Canada would be full of American hunters.Next to guns and decoys the most important piece of equipment is a layout blind. Good luck!
Quiet man, I hunt that same area, the land of rape and honey. We don't want the word getting out about the fantastic hunting and little competition.

#21 ·
jaysweet3 said:
lbhatty said:
Quiet man, I hunt that same area, the land of rape and honey. We don't want the word getting out about the fantastic hunting and little competition.
I still laugh every time I see that sign

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.