New to forum, Learning to call

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: NorCal Cazadora, LadyK, Outdoor Gal

New to forum, Learning to call

Postby Ryd3r » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:49 am

Hi gals, Im new to the forum, and recent to the sport. I have been duck hunting for the past three years, I met my fiance in college and he is an avid duck hunter and introduced me to the sport and I have been hunting with him since. I shoot a Benelli Super Nova, 12ga. This year I am really starting to get into it and I want to learn how to call. My fiance has been teaching me but I was hoping to pick up some extra tips. He has been calling since he was a kid so I think its hard for him to understand my frustration! Just hoping to gain some advice/info! :help: :thumbsup:
"When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first." - Ernest Hemmingway
Ryd3r
hunter

Re: New to forum, Learning to call

Postby wackemstackem » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:35 am

Well..You dont actually blow into it. :yes:
It's my Island.
wackemstackem
muppet paster

Postby firefighter1302 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:34 am

Welcome aboard, Ryd3r. Learning to call can be very frustrating, get yourself the Buck Gardner cd, i believe it's called Straight Talk. It's full of good information, and you can learn at your own pace. Good luck and have a great season. FF1302
firefighter1302
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:10 pm

Hello and welcome! What part of the state are you from? I'm just south of Grand Rapids a little.

If you'd like to learn goose calling I can't recommend the "Bad Grammar" dvd enough. It's how I learned. I'm nowhere near a competition caller, lol, but at least I can sound like a goose now.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby Ryd3r » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:28 pm

@ Outdoor Gal; I PMed you back :) Actually my fiance taught me how to play the flute the other day. I sound pretty good, on the short reed on the other hand...lol lets say I need some practice :yes: Thanks for the heads up on the DVD I might have to look into it. I am not so much into Goose calling, as my roommates & hunting partners (and may I mention one is my future brother in law) are highly agressive hunters and of course their calling is "perfect" :lol3: So I dont even bother much.

I ended up getting a Zink Power Hen 2. Double Reed. Beautiful call for me. I actually sound like a duck. I still need some practice, but at least now I actually somewhat resemble a duck.
"When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first." - Ernest Hemmingway
Ryd3r
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:35 pm

Oh man, I tried to use a Sean Mann flute the other day at Cabela's and I couldn't figure out how to make any goosey noises out of it. I sounded awful. :lol3: I handed it back the the prostaffer that was there and said I'd stick with a short reed. I did end up buying a WingMann goose call. It fit my tiny hands a lot better than the call I have been using. Pretty little thing and it sounds good. I played with a few calls while there, and it seemed like the best fit for me.

If you do decide to try to do a bit more goose calling, play with a bunch of calls before you buy one. And then buy the one that you really like. What you should do to show up the guys is get Bad Grammar, a call, and practice, practice, practice without them knowing. Then all of a sudden one day you can pull the call out and be like, "Hey guys, how does this sound." And blow them away. :yes:

I'm having problems with my duck calling though. My husband bought me a Buck Gardner Spitfire for my birthday last year. Problem is, I have a really rough time with that call. It seems to take a lot of air and it's not very forgiving at all. But since he got it for me... I'd better keep practicing. I sound so much better on my cheap little double reed though.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby Ryd3r » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:52 am

I started off with a hand me down cheapo poly single reed which was not a bad call, but I had a hard time getting the low raspy sound needed for ducks. My Fiance had a Dead Meat Mallard Single and I sound even worse on that. After a little research I decided to get the Power Hen 2, double reed because I have heard they are more forgiving and make a lower sound due to the double reed. For me it was perfect.

As far as the flute goes, I guess it may depend on the caller? I took to it really fast, so did my fiance when he was learning. He can play a short really well, but he loves his flute. His brother hates them and cant play them (maybe thats why he hates them??? :lol3: ) and has a "no flute policy" lol He seriously does. Hand formation has a lot to do with the call and the sound it makes. If your hands are not cupped right it sounds so wrong... :biggrin: But both my fiance and I have had a few years experience playing wood wind based instruments so maybe that helps?
Ryd3r
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:16 pm

You might be right on with the music thing. :smile:

I think double reeds are just in general a bit more forgiving. I've been practicing a bit with my Spitfire and starting to figure it out. It does take a lot more air than my double reed though. I had it with me just for the heck of it, while we were out goose hunting on Sunday. We were in a cut wheat field, still waiting for the geese to show, when a flock of 30 mallards showed up in the distance. I was the only one with a duck call and the guys told me to give it a whirl so I started calling to 'em. It was pretty fun, they ended up making about 6 circles and finally coming right in. I would hit them with a hail when they swung out and had their backs to the spread and then when they circled back to us I was doing a feed chuckle (I can't do that crazyfast chuckle, but was just doing dut,dutdut, dut, dut, dutdut, dut) with an occasional quack. The old-timer with us who has done is fair share of hunting and calling said I sounded really good, so yeah, that made my day. lol.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby Ryd3r » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:18 pm

ha ha yeah I still need practice with the feeder, every time I try it I end up getting laughed at by my fiance, "your too cute" :mad: Im not trying to be cute Im trying to be good! :yes: I think my double reed takes WAY more air to blow than my single, it might depend on the call though. I am going to have to keep trying to practice...youtube here I come lol! Yesterday we were waiting for geese to show so he and I started playing calls, I tried replicating him as much as possible. I think I scared everything out of the way, we ended up not seeing anything. :lol3:
Ryd3r
hunter

Re: Youtube, great source for learning calling.

Postby amador huntress » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:58 am

Hi there from a newbie to the forum also. This will be my 3rd season duck/goose hunting and I found a lot of help learning to call on youtube! Especially with a single reed goose call, that was really difficult and am still learning. There really is a lot of great info in the videos, step by step info on hand positioning etc.

On another note, I live in CA just out of the Sacramento area and would really like to find other women interested in hunting. I hunt deer, turkey, ducks, geese, and dove.
amador huntress
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:50 pm

:welcome: Always nice to see a new face! Or whatever the internet equavilent is. lol.

So how is dove season going so far for you? I wish we could hunt doves in Michigan. :(
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby amador huntress » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:48 am

Hey Outdoor Gal,

Thanks for the welcome. The first Dove season is here, and I can hunt right out my backdoor, however I haven't gone. Shame! Work has been nuts and it's been in the low 100's. There are doves flying all around my place though!
Looking at you prior posts; is it goose season in Michigan? If so I'm jealous! I learned to duck/goose hunt a couple of seasons ago (still learning) and am hooked. It's difficult to find places to hunt where I live. Most people hunt the refuges or belong to somewhat spendy private clubs. I spend a lot of time trying to find out of the way places where there are less people. I can only imagine the waterfowl hunting in Michigan, I've heard it's great. Deer season starts here the 24th, and I am looking forward to that. Hopefully it will cool off by then.
Any recommendations on a goose call? The one I have is really difficult.
amador huntress
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:46 pm

Oh man, I could not deal with 100 degree heat! I thought it was hot enough when it was in the low 90's recently. I am not a hot weather sort. lol. Well, hopefully it cools down a tad, and more importantly work quiets down enough so you can do some dove shooting! :)

Yep, it's what we call "early goose" season right now. It runs Sept. 1-15 and it's to help reduce the local resident population of big geese. The limit is 5 geese a person instead of the limit of 2 during the regular season. It's fun, but a little different than hunting them in the regular season. They still are in smaller family groups and when the weather is so hot, they don't have a need to feed much, so they still still most of they're time on the water. We were able to hunt with a friend who has permission on a great spot where a bunch of the locals like to loaf yesterday, it's a year round pond on a cattle pasture, the kind of place the geese really like midday this time of year. Got a few birds too. :yes:

Well, I'm far from an expert on goose calls, but I'm learning more all the time. First and foremost I think that the "Bad Grammar" instructional DVD put out by www.moltgear.com, is a fantastic resource, it's pretty much how I learned to call. He explains the importance of the fundamentals and then shows you how to use your hands on the call, how to present air into the call, etc. for all the different sounds that you need to learn to make.

As for the call itself, are you looking for something a little cheaper, or do you want to pick up a high quality call? If you're looking for something more affordable, I've heard good things about the Quackhead Goozilla for a beginner call. My husband learned on a Primos Honky Tonk. It breaks over a lot easier and uses less air than the Buck Gardner Canada Hammer.

If you're willing to spend a bit more there are a lot of quality call makers out there. I think the best thing to do is go to store and just start trying a bunch and see what you like. I learned to call on a delrin Gander Valley Custom Calls Powerhouse. Mark the owner provides fantastic customer service and can tune the call however you like. It's a great goosey sounding call too. I recently picked up WingNutz (by Sean Mann) Wingmann call. I love it, and it's turning into my go-to call. It fits my hands a lot better. I have pretty small hands, even for a girl. lol. I know the guys in the goose calling forum could give you a lot more help. :)
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby Outdoor Gal » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:56 pm

Ryd3r wrote:ha ha yeah I still need practice with the feeder, every time I try it I end up getting laughed at by my fiance, "your too cute" :mad: Im not trying to be cute Im trying to be good! :yes: I think my double reed takes WAY more air to blow than my single, it might depend on the call though. I am going to have to keep trying to practice...youtube here I come lol! Yesterday we were waiting for geese to show so he and I started playing calls, I tried replicating him as much as possible. I think I scared everything out of the way, we ended up not seeing anything. :lol3:

Haha! I know what you mean, that's pretty much how we spent the latter half of the morning during the opener here, it was such a bust, we were like, "may as well tune calls and play around!".
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby Ryd3r » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:09 am

How did you end up doing during goose? Out for duck? We ended up with 16 Geese (4 Hunters) in the Early Season, and Opening Morning we had 17 Ducks (6 Hunters).
Ryd3r
hunter

Postby Ryd3r » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:23 am

Outdoor Gal wrote:Hello and welcome! What part of the state are you from? I'm just south of Grand Rapids a little.

If you'd like to learn goose calling I can't recommend the "Bad Grammar" dvd enough. It's how I learned. I'm nowhere near a competition caller, lol, but at least I can sound like a goose now.

I know this is a super old post now, but I finally bought the Bad Grammar DVD & CD. Between my fiance and I we are taking step by step. He is "relearning" how to play a goose call, and as for me I am doing the same. Our hand placement needs some work! Cant wait until goose season is here!
Ryd3r
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:31 pm

Watching and practicing with "Bad Grammar" is how I learned. By the time goose season gets here, you should be rocking the call. :thumbsup:

I've got the call bug bad. lol. I'm really itching to get a new call, even though I don't need one. lol. I have a couple of different custom call makers in mind. I just have to decide what exactly I want to spend my money on.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby Ryd3r » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:08 am

Outdoor Gal wrote:Watching and practicing with "Bad Grammar" is how I learned. By the time goose season gets here, you should be rocking the call. :thumbsup:

I've got the call bug bad. lol. I'm really itching to get a new call, even though I don't need one. lol. I have a couple of different custom call makers in mind. I just have to decide what exactly I want to spend my money on.

I know how that feels. I traded a pair of waders I had for two calls, even though I could really used the $. I have been practicing for 20-45 minutes almost every day. I am impressed on how far I have come, and so far I only got to the cluck on the DVD. I have a Big Kahuna call, which I like and sound pretty good on (especially now), but I traded for a Tim Grounds Triple crown which is a harder call to play, which will help to make me a better caller. Which calls are you looking at?
Ryd3r
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:35 pm

So you traded the Big Kahuna for a Triple Crown? Haven't tried either, but heard good things about both. :) I was thinking about getting a Michigan made goose call, so Lynch Mob and GK are always options. There's also a fairly local guy that makes Quacker Attacker Calls. He's close enough to drive to, try his stuff out, and pick out colors, woods, ect. of exactly what I want. However, I still would like to try a call from C&S or get a Gander Valley XXX. So many options and not enough spending money. :)
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby Ryd3r » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:45 am

Outdoor Gal wrote:So you traded the Big Kahuna for a Triple Crown? Haven't tried either, but heard good things about both. :) I was thinking about getting a Michigan made goose call, so Lynch Mob and GK are always options. There's also a fairly local guy that makes Quacker Attacker Calls. He's close enough to drive to, try his stuff out, and pick out colors, woods, ect. of exactly what I want. However, I still would like to try a call from C&S or get a Gander Valley XXX. So many options and not enough spending money. :)

No, I own both the Big Kahuna and Triple Crown now (traded my waders for the triple crown). Im not fan of it though. I want to sell it and get my hands on a Double G Goose call. I cannot find them anywhere online, I posted a thread on here if anyone knows where I can find one, but no luck so far.
Ryd3r
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:00 pm

I've never heard of the Double G before. Hope you can find what you're looking for. I haven't blown a Triple Crown though I'd like to give one a try. My husband won a poly Super Mag at a Delta event a couple years ago. Not a bad call, but it was tuned almost too light for my taste. I REALLY like my Wingmann call, but then it was tuned exactly the way I wanted when I bought it. That probably has a lot to do with it. :wink: I was finally brave enough to take a call apart and monkey around with it a couple months ago. First time. Of course, then I couldn't get it back QUITE the way it sounded in the first place, though it was close. I should have known better. lol.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Return to Outdoors Women Forum