Waterfowl in Gackle ND Questions

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Waterfowl in Gackle ND Questions

Postby cjlarose » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:22 am

My father and I are coming up to North Dakota to the Gackle area for waterfowl season. This will be our first time to this state. I know there are PLOTS property in that area, but we would like to have the option of hunting private. In order to do that we are purchasing a plat map for Logan county. Do we need to consider scouting in other areas / counties? Also should we just fork over the extra money to be able to hunt any part of the state or just by permit for Zone 1.:help:

Any assistance would greatly be appreciated.

Chris
Bring em in!!!
cjlarose
hunter

Re: Waterfowl in Gackle ND Questions

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:39 pm

I would get all 3 zones. LOTS and LOTS of pressure around Gackle, I have friends who live there and hunt waterfowl hard and say it's not like it used to be.
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby cjlarose » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:01 pm

Thanks. I was afraid that the pressure would be high. I am hoping since we are going up so late, first week of Nov, pressure will be less. Hopefully that is not due to all the birds gone...I guess if they are we can pheasant hunt :hammer:
Bring em in!!!
cjlarose
hunter

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:48 pm

Do you snow goose hunt? I would DEFINITELY bring a snow spread at that time. Don't be afraid to drive...we always find mallards down there late but at times you really need to put in windshield time to find 'em. Snows will be all over though.
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby chiefbadger » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:34 pm

To begin with, I respect Chris' opinion as a resident. However, I was in your shoes 13 years ago. You are doing the right thing, pick one area and start working/scouting/knocking on doors (if you can find the landowner). Pressure is a relative term. If you are from Wisconsin, Illinois or back east, what a ND resident calls pressure is true for them, but is very, very light for us. The exception to this that I found is a large area around Devils Lake - hunted it twice, no desire to return as I do not want to pay $$$$. I would save the money and realize that the ND DNR is telling you that you are in the "prime" zone. I hunt zone 3 and am tempted to hunt all zones, then realize that we rarely find competition, except in some fields next to refugees on the MO river. My opinion is based upon my experience as a non resident, scratch hunter. No one is right here, just trying to help you.

Your time period could be awesome for field hunting and often is perfect. However, 2 years ago it was crazy cold around Oct. 6th-10th more or less. Many small potholes could be open or frozen by Nov, driving birds to larger bodies of water or to fields.
If you are field hunter great, small, frozen holes don't matter. Buy a North Dakota Atlas and Gazetteer. What state are you from? I have never bought a plat in ND, but that is a great tool. Try and pick up a phone book up there to find farmers numbers. Good luck.
chiefbadger
hunter

Postby cjlarose » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:10 pm

I have never trully hunted for snows. Were I hunted in the past you would be lucky if you saw 10 snows all year. By heart I am a duck hunter, but over the last 10 years I have learned the art of canada goose hunting, which is a blast.

I am estimating that we will be spending at least half a day scouting for birds. I have bought one plat book for Logan County and may purchase one more county just not to sure on which one. I have been doing doing a lot of aerial map scouting trying to get the lay of the land to determine what areas should be more productive.

We will see. No matter what though, I will not be at work that week and that is all that matters. :thumbsup:
Bring em in!!!
cjlarose
hunter

Postby H2OfowlND » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:22 am

FYI - The first week of Nov is when ND deer rifle season kicks off. It opens that Friday, 4th, at noon, so bring some blaze orange if you plan on being in the field that day or into the weekend.

H2OfowlND
H2OfowlND
hunter

Postby cjlarose » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:34 am

We should be gone by then....I have opening youth deer season to get back to in Missouri.

..looking forward to the trip.
Bring em in!!!
cjlarose
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting