New to Area

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

New to Area

Postby RedRussell » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:17 am

I grew up blasting birds in the Midwest and Northwest. Last year I got to the point that that I only went out 2 times and did not shoot my Limit in Idaho. I can call with almost anyone, geese and duck. I can setup decoys that make the birds want to land even if I am wearing a bright yellow shirt and standing in the decoys(been there, done that). I have an older dog that I will need to slow down for this year.

I just have no Idea where to go around here and the Gators really creep me out especially with my dog. I am stationed at Ft Stewart, if you can show me around now I won't need to piggyback with anyone. I love going out with other guys but I prefer to pull my own weight and get it done not depending on other people.
RedRussell
hunter

Re: New to Area

Postby SkyPeeler » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:35 pm

Sounds like you really dont need any help... Get a boat with a blind, google earth, and do some scouting.. As far as the
dog goes dont worry about the gators bring a couple loads of buckshot incase you see a gator going after him. :lol: :thumbsup:
(( SHOOT EM' IN THE LIPS ))
SkyPeeler
hunter

Postby flyfisher76544 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:56 pm

Well first of welcome! Second, if its warm out....leave the dog home!!! I am in the Fort Stewart area as well and hunt a lot on base. Right now, we are in a serious drought and a lot of the areas are drying up fast! Keep your connections out west and save up some leave!!! Send me a PM and we'll get together.
Hunt where the ducks want to be, not where you want the ducks to be
flyfisher76544
hunter

Postby Remman » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:53 pm

haha gators are everywhere.. just do what has been said above, also don't let your dog make long retrieves ! good luck :thumbsup:
There is no such thing as a stranger,....... Just friends I haven't met!

"Failure isn't not knowing how to post a picture. Failure is doing it twice and then catching a wise attitude about it."....... Paul D
Remman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Woodiewacker » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:41 am

During Sept teal season leave the dog home thats when the gators are still active . Wait until late season for the dog......Buckshot is LEAD and illeagal to have in possession during a waterfowl hunt FYI...
Woodiewacker
hunter

Postby Remman » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:57 pm

I believe the fine for lead shot is $25 a shell... i know many who would pay that for there dogs safety.. but until it gets cold leave the dog at home :thumbsup:

"Failure isn't not knowing how to post a picture. Failure is doing it twice and then catching a wise attitude about it."....... Paul D
Remman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SkyPeeler » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:22 pm

Thanks for the tip but ill pay the fine if I get caught, if it means saving my dog. :thumbsup:
(( SHOOT EM' IN THE LIPS ))
SkyPeeler
hunter

Postby Remman » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:23 pm

very small price to pay...if you get caught...splash,splash,splash :lol:

Remman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby thar31321 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:33 pm

Pretty sure it's $50 a buckshot on Ft. Stewart, but what would I know.

Jaime, I tried to call you the other day.
thar31321
hunter

Postby Remman » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:57 pm

I didn't get a ring.. whatcha need? :help: :lol:

service is terrible where I am working...just call me when you have a free weekend. :thumbsup:

Remman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby thar31321 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:09 pm

Just wondering if you have seen the 1542 or 1642 Weldbilt crawdad's?

You might see more down there this year. Dry as a bone here.
thar31321
hunter

Postby Remman » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:02 am

yes I have seen them, they finally are making them bigger...still don't know if you can get them with a flat bottom thou
it is dry everywhere!!

Remman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Woodiewacker » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:13 am

Woodiewacker
hunter

Postby RedRussell » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:36 pm

Sorry, been in the field... what a joy right?! Please send me a PM or just text me at 208-608-0379. I can't answer all the time so texting is better. Also if you are married and your wife enjoys the outdoors but feels awkward being the only girl my wife likes to go out but hates being the only girl! She got her license and hunter safety done 2 years ago so she is still learning. I don't mind kids either! Everyone has to start learning at some point, I put new hunters and kids in the same category, still learning.

I am itching bad. Cleaned my shotgun before I left, for no reason, just to touch it. Busted the calls out just to get an eyerolling from my wife. We will be officially out of the field end of this week. After that I can make plans to go out, till then I am on the "who knows" schedule.
RedRussell
hunter

Postby Remman » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:43 pm

i think most of use have the itch.. sooo close to trigger time!! :thumbsup:

Remman
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting