Anyone going to a dove drawing Saturday?

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, cartervj, jsa

Anyone going to a dove drawing Saturday?

Postby tstroud05 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:28 am

I am heading up to Spring Valley this year. First year dove hunting there. I normally head to Fallsville b/c there are usually more spots available (bigger dove fields and more of them), but due to my daughter's preschool orientation, I am gonna have limited hunting time on Sept. 1st, so I figured I would try out Spring Valley since it's closer... Anyone had any luck there? Also, let me know if you would be interested in going. My buddy moved to Georgia a few weeks ago, and now I have no partner for the hunt. Could work out, since I can't hunt that evening. I will be hunting from noon-maybe 5'ish. So the rest of the evening the spot would be vacant. This is all, of course, if I get drawn...
Hey there 'lil fella', ready to meet your maker?
tstroud05
hunter

Re: Anyone going to a dove drawing Saturday?

Postby Botiz630 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:40 pm

What spots do they draw for at Spring Valley? I've been to the marsh a ton, and all over the surrounding wildlife area throughout the years, doing different things. I only remember one managed dove field, and calling it a field is generous. I know they have fields around where they release pheasants ( I actually saw a rooster there when I was there last about 2 months ago) but I didn't think they did anything in those fields for doves.

Feel free to PM if you'd rather.
This is the Internet. This is serious.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby tstroud05 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:05 pm

Apparently, there are 4 fields this year. I am going tomorrow to check them out. The one is off of Roxanna New B. down that lane beside the river (near 42). Then there is supposed to be one near the shooting range, and the other 2 are supposed to be along that main road that dead ends into the marsh. You can check the map out on the DNR website. It says 2011 dove maps, so I am assuming it is up to date. I gotta run by there and see for myself, and possibly see what fields the birds are active in around 2 pm. As that is when I will be hunting if I get drawn. They also have fields at Caesar Creek WMA, but those are not controlled hunts, and the fields are usually packed with crazies shooting at each other. I would rather hunt at my parent's place than hunt Caesar Creek! I wish I had time to make it to Fallsville. I rarely leave those hunt with less than a couple shy of a limit (usually because of my poor shooting).
tstroud05
hunter

Postby jsa » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:34 pm

I've been to Fallsville the past couple years. I have to work this Sat. I took off last Sat. for the blind draws, couldn't swing two in a row.
jsa
State Moderator

Postby tstroud05 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:14 pm

Hey JSA did ya get drawn for a blind? I didn't even mess with it this year. We got drawn last year at Caesar Creek, and I have better luck jump shooting the river or field hunting at my parents...
tstroud05
hunter

Postby jsa » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:22 pm

I was in the office this morning
jsa
State Moderator

Postby tstroud05 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:07 pm

I was the second to last to get drawn for the Spring Valley fields... Lucked out and the field I wanted was still left as well... We'll see how it goes Thursday!
tstroud05
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:42 pm

Congrats! Let us know how it goes!
This is the Internet. This is serious.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby jsa » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:16 am

Well done, Stroud!

My Uncle, cousin and a friend went to Fallsville yesterday. Uncle and cousin got pulled. Fallsville allows 2 to hunt each spot, I'll be joining those guys!

Now, if only the temps would drop a bit this week. I don't care for 90 degree heat too much...
jsa
State Moderator

Postby tstroud05 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:53 pm

Good luck JSA! I like Fallsville way better. I have never left an opening day hunt there with less that 26 birds (for two men) other than last year (didn't get out there till 7PM). Hopefully the fields look better there this year. Last year I thought the sunflowers to too sparse. Man, I think God has just decided that Sept. 1 & 2 should always be HOT with no rain... I haven't seen a reasonably comfortable opening day for about 6 years... I was hoping that the hurricane was gonna mix things up a bit, but watched the weather last night, and they are call for 87 F. Wed, they are calling for 78F! LOL, missed nice weather by one stinkin' day. Guess we'll see, meteorologists are rarely as accurate as they think...
tstroud05
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting