Arizona Hunting

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Hog

Moderators: stumpjumper, don taylor

Arizona Hunting

Postby waterfowljunkie » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:33 pm

Hello everyone I just got my orders to go to Davis-Monthan AFB in Tucson, AZ and im going to be getting there at the end of october... so now im trying to get some info on what kind of hunting to expect... Im an avid hunter, it doesnt really matter what it is but I just love to be in the field. I mainly deer hunt and love to duck hunt but would love to get into some elk huntin and maybe try and put one up on the wall. I have a 3 yr old lab that is well trained and loves to be in the field so I would also like to get him into the field as well! If anyone could provide me with some extra information other than whats on the dfg website that would be greatly appreciated! Have a great season!!! :beer:
waterfowljunkie
hunter

Re: Arizona Hunting

Postby Slipperhead » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:23 am

I just moved back to VA after spending 7 summers in Arizona. There is no better state in the union for open land; much of it BLM land that is off-limits UNLESS you are hunting! Much of the Indian land is available also for a fee. Some of the largest trophy elk in the country are found on reservations.

Expect world-class dove shooting for most all the season. Mourning, white-wing and Eurasian doves

Expect world-class quail hunting over most of the state. Get a friend with some dogs...maybe try your lab. Buy quality brush/thorn chaps.

Expect world-class varmit hunting i.e. coyote, fox and lion if you are bold enough.

Ariona is prime-time for big-game hunting. Unfortunately, there are too many hunters and not enough game. LOTS of out-of-staters travel to AZ for trophy animals. Fish & Game manage the herds very well and carefully. ALL big-game hunting, including turkey, is by lottery ONLY. Javelina is realatively easy to draw anywhere for archers. The AZ lottery system is good in that you get an extra draw every year that you weren't drawn (bonus point system). Still, I wasn't drawn for elk in a prime area for 6 years. For the seventh year, I applied for and was drawn for a cow tag because I was lucky and I was about to move. Whether you are drawn or not for elk, go into the field and learn elk habits and calling. They are a lot of fun to play with. Apply for antelope, deer, bear.....everything and you will eventually get drawn somewhere.

Good luck!

Garland in VA

P.S. Sell, store, lend or give your decoys away. You are not in duck or goose country. I would jump shoot ducks off a pond when I would see some but had limited success putting out a spread and shooting a limit of birds. There are a few well-known waterfowl spots up around Pinetop and some of the rivers but the places are VERY well attended and the hunting is generally poor at best...
Garland Hanson
Midlothian, Virginia

"Humpbacks only look good on camels!"
Slipperhead
hunter

Re: Arizona Hunting

Postby waterfowljunkie » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:55 pm

Thank You sir I really appreciate all of the information you gave me... Even though you broke my heart when you said the duck huntin is bad there :no:!!!! Hope you have some good luck come your way out there in VA!!
waterfowljunkie
hunter

Return to Big Game