Anyone Praire Chicken hunting?

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Anyone Praire Chicken hunting?

Postby ksfowler166 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:53 pm

Wondering if anyone is going to be praire chicken hunting.Early season opened today here in Kansas. If so post pics. :biggrin:
De Oppresso Liber
ksfowler166
hunter

Re: Anyone Praire Chicken hunting?

Postby Mar10nz » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:51 am

Havent really even thought about it as hunting partner is deployed to afgahn. Will probably wait until Sept or Oct when it cools off so can get Britt out and work him. Let me know if you need an extra shooter.
Mar10nz
Mar10nz
hunter

Postby mcclinj » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:32 pm

I'll be in the SE part of the state over Thanksgiving. I'll have my year old GSP with me. I'd love to hook up and hunt some chickens. I'd be willing to head west a bit if it'd be more convenient.

-John
mcclinj
hunter

Postby ksfowler166 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:13 pm

Never really hunted them, went once or twice when I was young. Saw my first praire chicken this year will out turkey hunting.
De Oppresso Liber
ksfowler166
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:31 pm

Hunted some spots I normally find birds and haven't seen anything yet this year. I will find them eventually, heading back out in the morning, shoot me a PM if you want to go sometime.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:53 pm

mcclinj wrote:I'll be in the SE part of the state over Thanksgiving. I'll have my year old GSP with me. I'd love to hook up and hunt some chickens. I'd be willing to head west a bit if it'd be more convenient.

-John

Flint Hills (not the refuge) or Smoky Hills. That time of year you generally don't hunt them over dogs, you sit at a field they are coming to and pass shoot them. As low as the numbers are anymore I am surprised they even still have a season on them. I've shot at some once. My brother shot 1. Going to get one and have it mounted one day. I bet they are gone in my lifetime.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby Grouse » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:08 pm

The chickens are making a pretty good come back here in Wisconsin Seriously we may even have a season in 5+ years.
Nature teaches more than she preaches. There are no sermons in stones. It is easier to get a spark out of a stone than a moral.
Grouse
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:57 am

Grouse wrote:The chickens are making a pretty good come back here in Wisconsin Seriously we may even have a season in 5+ years.

Thats good to hear, with todays farming and ranching it is amazing. Numbers seem to be doing well in the western part of KS, and parts of north central. Unfortunately I live in the NE part of the state and they aren't doing as well at my spots.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby Just call me...Crackshot » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:29 am

Thats good to hear, with todays farming and ranching it is amazing. Numbers seem to be doing well in the western part of KS, and parts of north central. Unfortunately I live in the NE part of the state and they aren't doing as well at my spots.[/quote]

The numbers in W Kansas are pretty good. When we went pheasant hunting some days we saw more chickens than pheasants in some fields.
WTN10 wrote:That's a million dollar house in the background and Doc is climbing around on a Bargain Bin deer stand.

Rich people are 'tards.
Just call me...Crackshot
hunter

Return to Upland Game