Early Goose Season ~

If sea duck hunting is your specialty, then share your thoughts on Rhode Island duck hunting with others.

Moderator: TheSwamper

Early Goose Season ~

Postby Tratori » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:11 am

Hello, i am new to the forum and to goose hunting in particular. i have a few friends i hunt with but they wont get up off their behinds to come early goose hunting with me. so far its just me and a buddy of mine and i only have a couple spots scouted out. yesterday was the opener and we shot 6 geese but only had 1 large group do a flyby over our deeks. i tried to go to allot of the golf courses and farms with turf/corn and whatnot but everywhere either said "no" or "we have people that hunt it already" i was wondering if anyone had any places either rivers or ponds, fields that might produce. i live in Bradford and places to save gas is appreciated ha ha. unless anyone wants to take me and my friend out we aren't bad shots and we respect the "game"

if anyone has any pointers I'd be appreciative its tough to jump into a game dominated by allot of hunters already.

Thanks!

PS: I have a 16ft LOWE duck boat with Avery popup blind. so if you take us goose hunting i can show you allot of duck spots later on ha ha.
Tratori
Newb

Re: Early Goose Season ~

Postby DaveB » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:46 pm

Sorry Bud the RI forum is a not very active. The state is so small that nobody will give up a spot, which is not a bad thing, guys have worked hard for thier spots. You would be better off keeping what you are doing. PS.. our moderator is quite the celebrity!! Seen him on several sites, magazines,and a TV show, his pictires are great!! Good luck to you and have a good season.
DaveB
hunter

Postby Tratori » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:27 am

yea i figured as much not much one can do. i figure i will just keep going back to the same spot and hope the geese in the area get shot off the spot they were going to go and do a fly over on my spot. hell i thought maybe even someone would say "yea one can always use more DU members to hunt with.

back to the drawing board.
Tratori
Newb

Postby RIhunter » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:44 pm

I have a few late season goose spots when everything freezes over. I can't seem to gain any access to any private fields. If anyone is looking for somebody to hunt with give me a holler. Im going out hunting/scouting tomorrow.
RIhunter
hunter

Postby K.I. Joe » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:15 pm

I don't live in RI anymore but how about bodies of water, There are places in NW RI that have public access and plenty of area to get away from camps
2012-2013 Season
4 Geese
1 Hen Mallards
3 Drake Mallard
5 Drake Woodie
4 Hen Woodie
7 Hen Common Merganser
8 Blacks
2 Ringneck
2 Hen Hooded Mergansers
2 Drake Hooded Merganser
0 drake Green Wing Teal
1 Hen Scoter
K.I. Joe
hunter

Postby WhatIsDucky? » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:47 pm

Bodies of water are almost always your best bet for early goose. The birds are very difficult to pattern in September but they always return to the water they are resting on. Forget the field and grab the floaters then you'll be in business.
WhatIsDucky?
hunter

Postby TheSwamper » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:15 pm

DaveB wrote:Sorry Bud the RI forum is a not very active. The state is so small that nobody will give up a spot, which is not a bad thing, guys have worked hard for thier spots. You would be better off keeping what you are doing. PS.. our moderator is quite the celebrity!! Seen him on several sites, magazines,and a TV show, his pictires are great!! Good luck to you and have a good season.

I know you're not referring to me as a 'celebrity'! :lol3: :tongue:

Bradford huh!?!? You can't trust anyone who lives in Bradford! :hi:

Seriously, like the others guys said. Just scout and then scout some more! This time of the year is tough man. Sept. geese can be a pain and getting permission is even worse.

Your best bet is water and the later in the season the better it gets. You can always try the South Shore management area in Matunuck if you really want to try and field hunt.

Good luck.
TheSwamper
DHC Sponsor and Moderator

Return to Rhode Island Duck Hunting