For all you bowhunters

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

For all you bowhunters

Postby choclab » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:06 pm

Just wanna make sure you guys know what P&Y consider legal hunting gear to be able to enter trophies, cause ya never know when a big-un will walk by. https://www.pope-young.org/Definition.asp
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:18 pm

Cool!!!! Heck I would be happy to knock down a fine 6X6 scoring 300 with my bow...if it were Pope and Young class that would be awesome. But being a guide I have yet to see a Pope and Young trophy get killed yet. But many respectable bulls 325-350.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby AK Ducks » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:36 pm

nice aviater choclab - is that how you get those pope& youngs :yes:
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby choclab » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:03 pm

6 arrows are better than one right? :yes: Citori.....if those bulls where shot with a bow they are eligible to be entered in the P&Y books. The minimum score is 260. They ain't world records, but they still can be recognized as a trophy animal in the books. But I guess any animal you kill yourself is a trophy. :hammering:
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:59 am

They are scored and entered. However, there are TONS of bulls that have scored that well. What makes a big difference is getting into the top 10. ESPN outdoors went with us when we took the VP of PSE bows on a big horn sheep hunt. My brother guided that hunt and I wrangled. When the show aired I was disappointed because it was edited to look pretty cool but it really did not depict the hunt.l He did nail a very nice ram however.
Citori12

Postby choclab » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:09 pm

Sounds like you have a pretty cool job! :salude: I think it is cool getting your name entered in the P&Y book. Granted, a trophy is a trophy no matter what it is. It's still nice to have it regognized somewhere other than your house, town, or county.
choclab
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:49 pm

Well do not anyone tell you that guiding or outfitting is not gruelling work. Because its one tough way to make a living!!! I agree with your statement any animal with a bow is a trophy. In many cases for any bow hunter to take a respectable 5X5 bull is an accomplishment. Guiding archers is very hard work. You must put them in very good acceptable bow range. You want them to connect without having a cripple. You want them to have an excellent chance of putting that arrow in the right spot. I do have to say bow hunters know how to go home empty handed but with a great hunt under thier belt. Just the thrill of having a big bull inside 50 yards bugeling at you is pretty awesome. Nothing in the world can describe it. Taking a big horn sheep with a bow is a feat in itself. So I have had very happy archers going home with a very nice 5X5 that would not make record and being pretty darn proud they were able to make a clean kill on the animal. And as far as my job...I am an engineer during the off season and fill my brothers needs during big game season. Being a full time guide.....well I like steady paychecks better HA!
Citori12

Postby choclab » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:55 pm

I know that it takes alot to get bowhunters to connect. If it was easy everyone would be doing it i guess. You guys sound like you have a pretty good and fair operation over there. I love hunting elk. I am always more than happy to take a cow if the oppertunity presents itself. Even a cow elk is a trophy.
choclab
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:45 pm

My brothers outfit is Geneva park outfitters and they are registered with the Colorado outfitters association. He is highly respected in the business. The elk in the area we hunt don't always grow big horns but some are very respectable. This is horseback wilderness hunting. I have taken cows and am not ashamed to say so. A trophy bull is a grand thing but I gotta tell ya just to get a cow down at a decent range with a bow is not an easy chore. Bow hunters have to be in top condition and hunt very hard and long and most of all thier hunting skills have got to be top notch. Even if they have all those things, on occasion something goes wrong and the shot is lost. I hunt with a bow myself and actually take cows with my rifle as we have plenty of elk herd and I enjoy the meat. But here very soon I will be giving it a go for myself on a 300 class bull. With either rifle, bow or black powder whichever tag I can draw with the least preference points. I have 5 preference points for river whitetail archery and have yet to draw a tag.
Citori12

Postby choclab » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:58 pm

I hope ya draw a bow tag :salude: I have been applying for big horn sheep tag for 2 years now. I busted some poachers 2 years a ago. They gave me the option of cash....or preference points. I took the 10 points!! I am saving the points for something. I might put it towards a goat or moose. Not sure yet. I have a little hidey hole that is an ANY elk game managment unit. If its brown and hairy I can shoot it. The rest of the state you have to draw a big bull tag or you are stuck shooting cows or spikes. As far as deer goes, we can shoot blacktail, whitetail, and mule deer. The whitetail areas are usually any deer. The mule deer (blacktail also) areas are for the most part 3 point minumum. I love hunting in this state.
choclab
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:49 am

:salude: Good job on smackin the poachers...Colorado has too many of them...And wether I draw tags or not....when I bow hunt unless I know within 99% chance that I can place an arrow into heart lung I pass on my shots. Its soooo nerve wracking when you get a nice buck or bull in at about 40 yards and cannot get em closer. But heck thats half the fun!
Citori12

Return to Archery