Bingo! Blue-wing and Green-Wing. Check out my pics.

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

Bingo! Blue-wing and Green-Wing. Check out my pics.

Postby Craxty » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:40 pm

:beer:

Finally found them! Had a great time. I am officially a duck hunter. :) Only took about 15 trips and several weeks to find them. My guess is that I burned about 10 times the calories that these beauties will return. LOL. Then if I factor in all the money for gear, gas and effort I would say these two bites cost about $300/each. Not a bad start. :fingerhead:

Had four come in and decoy. Got 2 hens. One blue and one green. Missed the 3rd one, pumped one more time and "click, click, click" Argh! It was fun and super foggy. Heard about 100 geese land some where close in the deep fog. What a racket.

http://cl.ly/1G0S2l2S3E172X0A3L3I

http://cl.ly/3F1k1O473N37191o0V3O

http://cl.ly/0v3g2Y1J0E1Z3c2G2v0C

http://cl.ly/363J1c2V3A071E0f232f

[NOTE: I previously edited these two pictures out of my original post when it became evident that I made a mistake. I am reposting them for educational purposes. Identifying Teal is not easy and the gentlemen below have given clear tips on how to do so. The nuances are slight but real. The whole purpose of the sport is mastery. Without the original pictures what they are saying is mute.]

http://cl.ly/1t0L0a2s0L301G1e1c19

http://cl.ly/2f0s0b0Z2X0t2O432Q0o

Enjoy
Last edited by Craxty on Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Bingo! Blue-wing and Green-Wing. Check out my pics.

Postby gtlegs » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:01 pm

Hope its legal to kill wood ducks in early season in Ohio! You have a blue wing and a wood duck...
gtlegs
hunter

Postby Craxty » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:45 pm

I sure hope I didn't. I compared them very closely. The small one has the green wings and the color mostly resembled the other green wings I see online.

http://www.huntercourse.com/canada/newbrunswick/wildlifeidguide-en.aspx

The larger one (on the right) is the blue-winged. I compared it to other pictures online. Oddly, the white around it's eye is way more pronounced in this picture. I just went and checked and it's not that bright. The eye from the blue wing in the hunter course link above is much like the one I have. Same with the breast color. The color of the duck is also much darker in the picture. Could be because it was so dark and it was wet. I also checked it's leg color and it's no where near the orange I see on all wood ducks.

Also, neither have that oddly shaped head that woodies have, or orangish legs.

Besides the wildlife officer saw them and didn't say anything. Unless he was being nice.
Last edited by Craxty on Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Postby Craxty » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:53 pm

Check these images out. Neither of them look like these. They all have that characteristic white flare on the eye. Am I missing something?

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1616&bih=908&q=wood+duck+hen

Postby gtlegs » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:40 pm

Maybe it's the picture, im in my phone too so it may be skewed. I apologize if I am wrong. It has been a year since I've seen any ducks! Lol. Ps beautiful pictures may I steal one for my desktop?
gtlegs
hunter

Postby cdm » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:51 pm

I shoot a lot of woodies and the purple/blue back sure looks like a hen woodie to me.

but I also have never seen a blue wing teal
cdm
Banned

Postby cdm » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:53 pm

I would definitely say that the one with the white eye ring is NOT a greenwing
cdm
Banned

Postby Craxty » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:00 pm

I'm just learning myself. As far as the white eye goes, I'm saying that one is the blue-winged. If you see the link above for the hunter course you will see a hen with white ring but not with the flare that Woodies have.

Postby Craxty » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:03 pm

Sorry, that link was broken. Check this page out and see what I'm talking about.

http://www.huntercourse.com/canada/newbrunswick/wildlifeidguide-en.aspx

Postby Jkling12 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:04 pm

I'm thinking woodie on the right. The size an color gave it away to me. It can be hard to tell.
Foamy Log Blind@ ProStaff
"Why sport an Oak when you can float a Log"
Proudly made in the USA
LeakyW8ers wrote:It would be like sleeping with my best friends wife, it may feel good at the time, but is going to get awkward really quick.
Jkling12
hunter

Postby Craxty » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:13 pm

I hope not. That is frustrating as all get out. I even let them land fully so I could check them out closely to make sure because I was on State land. I flushed them and took my shots. All three of them landed and ate side-by-side (2 I got and 1 I missed). Even when I compared them to the size of my mixed set of decoys these things are SMALL. Bite size really. I honestly can't be definitive about any of it because this was my first time hunting teal. I can only go with what I learn online and visually. In fact, I had some blue wing decoys in the set and the one I call the blue wing was the size of those. The green wing was even smaller. It's like a cornish hen really.

Postby cdm » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:26 pm

Craxty wrote:I hope not. That is frustrating as all get out. I even let them land fully so I could check them out closely to make sure because I was on State land. I flushed them and took my shots. All three of them landed and ate side-by-side (2 I got and 1 I missed). Even when I compared them to the size of my mixed set of decoys these things are SMALL. Bite size really. I honestly can't be definitive about any of it because this was my first time hunting teal. I can only go with what I learn online and visually. In fact, I had some blue wing decoys in the set and the one I call the blue wing was the size of those. The green wing was even smaller. It's like a cornish hen really.

where I hunt, the GWT fly with the woodies.

hen woodies can be very very small too.

look at the color of the back feathers and the head. I would put a $100 bill that the bird in question is a hen woody.

no harm no foul. no pun intended.

honest mistake, but if the game cop checked you out.........you're lucky

did they make noise? hen GWT will let out a short high pitched 'quack' while the hen woody will whistle and sometime peep similar to a drake GWT
cdm
Banned

Postby cdm » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:28 pm

notice the white wing tips that are present. I don't know about hen blues but do they also have white wing tips?

from looking at google images, they do not
cdm
Banned

Postby Botiz630 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:32 pm

Yeah, you've got a hen woodduck there my friend.
I need about tree fiddy.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby cdm » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:35 pm

don't worry, your year in jail will go by like brett favre's football retirement (very long and drug out) :lol3:
cdm
Banned

Postby Craxty » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:43 pm

If you guys are right that completely sucks. I put major effort into this. I was up at 3 AM get to my site. Certainly takes the wind out of my sails.

Postby cdm » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:48 pm

all you can do is eat up all the evidence and claim you took that picture when wood duck season was open.

maybe take that hen to the vet and see what they can do.
cdm
Banned

Postby Jkling12 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:55 pm

I'll put ten $100 bills on it that your not the only one that this has happened to on the forum, you just posted The pic .Don't get to down on yourself. Mistakes are made and you are learning which is key.
Foamy Log Blind@ ProStaff
"Why sport an Oak when you can float a Log"
Proudly made in the USA
LeakyW8ers wrote:It would be like sleeping with my best friends wife, it may feel good at the time, but is going to get awkward really quick.
Jkling12
hunter

Postby Craxty » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:32 pm

Lesson learned. Thanks guys.

Postby ohio mike » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:12 pm

Whatever you do don't get down on yourself.Mistakes happen,I was telling HNTFSH the other day that I'd like to see woodies in with early teal because even veterans make the mistake. Theres been a lot of woodies stomped in the mud and wasted because of a honest mistake. The DNR realizes this happens hence the sunrise shooting time but won't take the proper measures and prefer to keep woodies legal in late season when their gone.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:27 am

ohio mike wrote:Whatever you do don't get down on yourself.Mistakes happen,I was telling HNTFSH the other day that I'd like to see woodies in with early teal because even veterans make the mistake. Theres been a lot of woodies stomped in the mud and wasted because of a honest mistake. The DNR realizes this happens hence the sunrise shooting time but won't take the proper measures and prefer to keep woodies legal in late season when their gone.

Amen Mike!!! Made the same error several years ago. There's a reason the Wardens are out full force during early 'Teal' season.
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:40 am

Maybe it's already been implied...the young ducks aren't in full plume. ID is harder. I see dozens of park mallards every day that all look like hens - from a second hatch.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:10 pm

ohio mike wrote:Whatever you do don't get down on yourself.Mistakes happen,I was telling HNTFSH the other day that I'd like to see woodies in with early teal because even veterans make the mistake. Theres been a lot of woodies stomped in the mud and wasted because of a honest mistake. The DNR realizes this happens hence the sunrise shooting time but won't take the proper measures and prefer to keep woodies legal in late season when their gone.

Worked out OK tonight Mike. These 2 bluewings came screamin' in about 8 minutes before end light. Always fun dropping doubles with an O/U. No good retrieve stories as I dropped 'em on Knothead's' head... :lol3: who was on a remote sit. I did let him pick up the decoys though. The stinkin' Canada Trio buzzed us 8 minutes AFTER shooting light. :mad:

HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Botiz630 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:30 am

Good work, HNTFSH and Craxty! Congrats on the early season success :thumbsup:
I need about tree fiddy.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:54 am

Botiz630 wrote:Good work, HNTFSH and Craxty! Congrats on the early season success :thumbsup:

Botits - an immature drake mallard came in about an hour before and landed in the 6 teal dekes...he just couldn't resist the mojo.

After he landed - he just sat there staring at the mojo for 5 minutes. He didn't swim around, dabble, or anything. Just sat there staring at it. :lol3: Then he lit out.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Next

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting