SASKATCHEWAN HUNTING REPORT

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

SASKATCHEWAN HUNTING REPORT

Postby wildphilhickup » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:38 pm

Just got back today. The weather was beautiful, but really too warm for GREAT hunting.

The Geese are still very far North, North of Regina, North of Saskatoon. One outfitter reported limits for Snows on Thursday, but they had to hunt them hard.

Way too much water in the South Region, ... there are a Million ducks in the south region. EASY LIMITS every day.

But, you got too do some traveling to find enough big ducks. Most all ducks are still very immature. Looks like a late hatch.

Jump shoot the potholes, playas, ponds. Setting up at this time is not a good plan. The birds will move on to another hole once shot at.

We saw no one else hunting ducks or geese the 5 days we were there.

The pea harvest was not good this year. Again, too much water. Most farmers did not plant, or they have gone back and plowed under what they did plant. There is a concern as to what the migrating geese will eat and how they will react.

I was also told that the Canada hatch in the south was not very good, again too much water.

Weyburn - has some good areas now for Canadas.

Estavan - hunt east of here for ducks. All the way to Manitoba is good.

*** We brought home limits of duck and one Canadian goose.

*** Residents tell me that the Snow Geese do not show up unitl Thanlsgiving in the South.

*** The Canadian border patrol at Sherwood are JERKS! Because we were freelancing they searched everything. They x-rayed everything. Took 2 hours to get through.

GOOD LUCK!

Next year I go in October.
Wild Phil Hick Up - owner / trainer of 2 Labrador Retrievers. Colt Lightning, STUD, Age 9, and Molly Koh Lange, Age 2 / My Deceased Friends - Jody - Age 9 (cancer), Cody - Age 16 (8/22/06 - old age) and Jazz - Age 9 (8/1/06 - cancer)
wildphilhickup
hunter

Re: SASKATCHEWAN HUNTING REPORT

Postby eazygauge » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:54 am

Great report..thank you. I leave next week on Wednesday for West Central.
eazygauge
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:07 am

Thanks for the report. I always leave in October and take my calculated reports from farmers to improve my chances.
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby HuntAway » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:05 am

Great report. I am in West Central Sask and have hunters stay at one of my houses during the hunting season. We are quite dry and warm so the birds are not on the move. Hopefully when the next group arrives they will have better luck for the weather has cooled off.
Good luck hunter!
HuntAway
Newb

Postby adv sask » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:52 pm

north west sask has some birds moving through the area now, this frost tonight should help make a few flocks stretch their wings and head south.
adv sask
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:53 pm

We just got back from north of Saskatoon. No Snows yet, just Ross geese and they are green. Mallards are everyware. Lots of Specks and Very large flocks of Canada geese.
War Wagon
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:41 pm

I'm north of the quill lakes, snows are just starting to show up. Weve gotten two limits of snows should get our third tomorrow. Ducks are around, but young birds. Canada geese are there for the taking, just had other shoots to take up our time. Three more days of hunting, we have some competition, but not too much. Hard to find landowners at home they are all out combining. I'll report more in a day or so.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:28 pm

Thanks jay you were always a skilled hunter. By Oct 6 There should be a lot of activity in the Quills as some friends and farmers report.
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby jaysweet3 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:03 pm

First time this has happens to us. We got to our spot, set up, once shooting light came, nothing. We put those birds to bed last night, something musta changed their minds. We ended up going and bach shooting two different ponds. We killed a mixed 8, the other guys did about the same. Going scouting soon, we have one more hunt. Hitting the road Friday.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby wolfy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:34 pm

Will let you'all know tomorrow. Should be there by 3:00 pm. :beer:
wolfy
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:58 pm

Kind of pathetic, but we bwent and shot the lagoon outside of the town that we stay in. Those birds were the only game in town. Web got permission, then shot them.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby wolfy » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:20 pm

Birds are here,had a good shoot this morning. Weather good no frost on the dekes! Hunting near the Quill Lakes area.
wolfy
hunter

Return to Canada Duck Hunting