Sask bird report

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

Sask bird report

Postby eazygauge » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:57 am

Leaving for Kindersly, Sask next Wednesday 9/21. Can anyone give a bird report? Are you seeing any canadas? Are the ducks thick?

Thanks in advance,
eazygauge
hunter

Re: Sask bird report

Postby swifthunter » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:11 pm

Live on the east side of the province but have friends over there. Hasnt been much moving down yet due to record high temps the last week but with the great conditions here this summer there should be some birds around. I have noticed a lot of the teal have left. It should be better by the time you get here as they are calling for below normal temps which should get the birds starting to move.
swifthunter
hunter

Postby HuntAway » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:11 am

I am just north of Kindersley and unfortunately there has not been much movement yet. Extremely warm temperatures have keep the birds from moving. Temperatures have dropped and I have seen a couple of groups flying but not lots. I hope they start up because the hunters that rent out my country home are looking for a good hunt.
Good luck on your hunts.
HuntAway
Newb

Postby eazygauge » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:57 pm

Thank you..hopefully we get a cold push.
eazygauge
hunter

Postby eazygauge » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:13 pm

anyone seeing any fresh birds? Hard to believe Im coming from florida and I will be in canada when its 86F degrees.
eazygauge
hunter

Postby adv sask » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:32 pm

Yeah, frost on Tuesday pushed some snows specs and Canada's south .
adv sask
hunter

Postby eazygauge » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:49 pm

Thats great to hear...I hate to drive 3,000 miles and not shoot a goose. Seriously, Im excited to just get out there and see the country, enjoy the view and not have to work.
eazygauge
hunter

Postby Goldy777 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:14 pm

From what I'm hearing, there's huntable numbers of geese over much of the province, especially in the northern parts. New birds are coming in daily. If you're headed to Kindersley, there will be birds there. The weather doesn't look good for hunting for the next week though, looks to be very warm.
Goldy777
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:32 am

Just got back...YOU are in good shape...the 4 of us shot 578 birds in 12 days of hunting. Birds are everyware. The BIG B-52 Canada geese were there in the strongest numbers i have seen in 5 years. Bad news for us was no big snows, only Ross and one day we shot 56 of them. Yesterday driving home i saw the first big snows flocks south of Sasaktoon. They are not down yet in big numbers. As far as temp's we had a range of 27 deg to 78 deg. IT DID NOT MATTER birds moved. What a sight it was, very hard to leave. I will be posting some pic's but just walking in the door i got to sleep.....
War Wagon
hunter

Postby kygoosekiller » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:02 pm

War wagon--- Where you hunting near Saskatoon? We goin up in 3 weeks. How was the Canadas and Mallards? Any Specks?
Just hopin they are still there when we get there.
kygoosekiller
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:46 pm

Yes lots of Specks in larger flocks than i normaly see. Mallards were everyware and The big Canada geese were in large numbers. Lots of water but no problems driving in fields. Season opened at 6 20 and by 7 40 we had 32 Mallards and 32 dark geese on the ground. Its going to be a good year in the central flyway.
War Wagon
hunter

Postby eazygauge » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:08 pm

I have to say thank you to everyone on here especially adv sask for the help. We drove 3000 miles from florida and had a great time. Killed limits of specks, honkers, with a few snows and Ross. We did get into 3 day limits on ducks mainly pintails and mallards but did not see the large number of ducks like I expected. I was in the kindersly area. Hopefully, I can buy a small cabin or house up there in the next few years. Met some unbelievable nice people who were very friendly. Makes me sick to compare the people we met to the majority of a-holes in US. Next year Im going to spend a month if work permits. Such a beuatiful relaxing place.
eazygauge
hunter

Postby kygoosekiller » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:20 pm

Hunted north of Saskatoon the week of the 17th. Limited on ducks on most days we duck hunted. Also shot large numbers of snows. Had a six man limit one afternoon on the snows. I was a little dissapointed on the dark sightings and harvest. Didnt do as well as I expected. I was real hyped up to shoot lots of darks on our first trip to Saskatchewan.
If you live and hunt in Saskatchewan count your blessings!!! It is truly a waterfowlers dream. I cant wait to return. Hopefully next year.
kygoosekiller
hunter

Postby chadsheppard » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:01 pm

Had a report that there were lots of ducks in the carrot river valley on Oct 26th. Also, blue bills around the pas MB
chadsheppard
Newb

Postby recker » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:05 pm

I would think The Pas area is going to end soon. Lows in that area later this week will be lower twenties and highs in the lower thirties.
recker
hunter

Return to Canada Duck Hunting