Hunting Devils Lake

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Hunting Devils Lake

Postby Dead Duck Outfitters » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:31 pm

Hey everyone I am originaly from North Dakota and have a trip planned for Devils lake in mid october and was wondering generally where the ducks are. I am not looking to steal spots just wondering if sides of the lake are better than others or am I hunting the bays or just potholes in the area any help is apreciated thank you.
Dead Duck Outfitters
hunter

Re: Hunting Devils Lake

Postby H2OfowlND » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:21 am

As a former ND resident, I'm sure you understand how the weather can be at that time of the year. So, saying that, pretty hard to tell now where the ducks will be and what the pressure will be also.

H2OfowlND
H2OfowlND
hunter

Postby recker » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:24 pm

Isnt Devils Lake a really high hunting pressure area these days? My guess is the ducks will be on private posted land unfortunately.
recker
hunter

Postby Dead Duck Outfitters » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:07 pm

Thank you guys for the info I am planning on taking my layout boats and my 16 footer on the big lake but do not know where to set up theres a ton of water just wondering if anywhere is good or if there is a side of the lake thats hot I fish the lake quiet a bit so any info like that is appreciated
Dead Duck Outfitters
hunter

Postby H2OfowlND » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:18 pm

FYI on your boats..... this is from the ND G&F site.

"Motorboats are legal for going to and from shooting grounds. Ducks, coots, mergansers, geese and tundra swans may be taken from a floating craft, excluding a sinkbox, if such craft is beached, or fastened within or tied immediately alongside any type of fixed hunting blind, or from such craft resting at anchor. It is illegal to shoot from a sunken device or any floating vessel on open water or to use or cause to be used any floating battery, electric, steam, gasoline or other powered vessel in an attempt to take waterfowl. A motorboat, sailboat or other craft may be used to pick up dead or injured birds.
All watercraft must have aboard a U.S. Coast Guard approved life preserver for each occupant. Additionally, any watercraft powered by any motor (including electric motors) must be registered and numbered (licensed) through the North Dakota Game and Fish Department, or for nonresidents - through the state where principally used."

H2OfowlND
H2OfowlND
hunter

Postby Dead Duck Outfitters » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:55 pm

Thank you It is much like the Minnesota regs then but good to know in advance boats are all legal
Dead Duck Outfitters
hunter

Postby don novicki » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:09 am

Been to ND many times but have never taken a drive to DL. Whats the story over there on posted land etc etc.? Im just curious and I doubt I will make it over there this year too......thanks
don novicki
hunter

Postby Dead Duck Outfitters » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:39 am

Almost all land is posted unfortunately and many do not grant permission to hunt but there is a few hundred lakes and a around 600 ponds that are accesible so there are plenty of duck hunting opportunities.
Dead Duck Outfitters
hunter

Postby don novicki » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:48 am

Really would like to just drive over to see DL as it's place in waterfowling history is legendary, however I have no intention of trying to gain access anywhere because of all the posted land. I get enough posted land here in Pa. where everything is posted and if it's not, most people won't give you permission anyways.
don novicki
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting