Pin dot sight

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Pin dot sight

Postby scruggs12 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:46 pm

Allowing for shooting down from a tree, what yardages do you guys set on your pin sights? I have an idea and want to see if it's totally nuts. My bow theoretically shoots the same every 10-15 yards. I was thinking of setting it up to be dead on at 5 yards (also dead at 15 yards). The only adjustment I make is shooting a little high at 5 and a on center at 15 yards. Set my second pin to be on from 15-23/25 yards. Third pin at 23/25-35. I won't shoot over that. Most shot's I have taken have been under 20 yards at deer. Therefore allowing for the trajectory from the tree (about 25 feet in the air) I would be on my first pin. Any thoughts?
scruggs12
hunter

Re: Pin dot sight

Postby duckschooler » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:32 pm

I really don't want too sound like an ******,or maybe I don't understand what you mean. Your really overthinking this whole deal, by doing a little math you can solve your distances. If your bow is at 18' give or take when your in your stand ready to shoot and your target is 20 yrds from the base of your tree the actual distance would be 26yrds. You can use pathagorean theory to solve your distances I'd set a pin at 20, 30, 40. If your truly wanting to get dialed in take measurements at your stand sites and practice shooting out of them to your shooting lanes.
#flock'em
duckschooler
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:32 pm

Duckschooler,

I am trying to find a way to compensate for the downward trajectory from a treestand. I am not all that familiar with the Pythagorean Theorem, but the name is familiar. The tendency to shoot steep downward angles from treestands can lead to high shots on deer (learned the hard way). I am looking for a way to counter that, which I think I found by setting my bow as mentioned earlier.
scruggs12
hunter

Postby quacktea » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:23 pm

Couldn't hurt to try it out, get up in a tree and see how your adjustments work out.
There's no business like show business, but there's no job like a blow job
quacktea
hunter

Postby duckschooler » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:09 am

Yeah pathagerean therom will give you the distance from your bow to the animal. This method is not as accurate as a laser rangefinder that uses both the angle and distance on the fly and tells you how to aim but this method will get you close it's fairly simple. Here's the equation (a^2) +(b^2) = (c^2)

a^2 would be your vertical distance from ground to where your bow will be when you draw.
b^2 would be the horizontal distance from the base of the tree to the target your shooting
c^2 will be the true line of sight distance.
You'll have to use the square root function to find your "c" value

Again this is just a thought it may help you or not but you can find your line of sight distances with the equation.

Here's an example
20 foot from ground to where your bow will be when at full draw
The intended target is 90 ft from the base of the tree
To find the line of sight distance (20^2) + (90^2) = (c^2)
400+8100= 8,500
the square root of 8500 is 92.2ft which is roughly 31 yrds so you'd aim like a 31 yrd shot.
#flock'em
duckschooler
hunter

Postby duckschooler » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:24 am

Here's something I did to check my math on the actual line of sight distance, it requires a buddy. I had a long piece of string and attached 1 end to my riser just about where the arrow shelf is and then with the help of my buddy I had him stand where I had various lanes and hold his end about 3ft up (about where a mature deers vitals lay) and he stretched the line taunt we'd mark the string and do the same thing over and over then we'd measure the distances with a tape to confirm what I'd found this gave me true line of sight or arrow flight distance from where'd I'd be at full draw to vitals. This may seem over the top but it helped me understand shot placement in theory. You can introduce gravity but gravity acts the same regardless of shot angles gravity is still the same as if you were shooting horizontally the only thing is now with vertical distance you need the line of sight.
#flock'em
duckschooler
hunter

Return to Archery