Broadmoor area

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

Broadmoor area

Postby florida old guy » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:07 am

Has anyone here hunted the Broadmoor area? I have not been there but in looking at maps, google earth, ect I don't see road access. Is there a way to get a boat in there or is this a wade in only spot ? Also looks like a small area overall, are crowds a problem ? Thanks.
florida old guy
hunter

Re: Broadmoor area

Postby Ichabod97 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:37 am

you need to apply for a quota permit to hunt there. They do offer walk on's, but that is only if all the permit holders do not show up. Sometimes that walk on line can get pretty big, quick! The area that i hunted there was walk in with a stool. The deepest part was crossing the rim ditch. There are roads going back in there and they also offer a hayride option where they will drop you off at certain cells. I do remember the roads being very bumpy, and i know there was a couple spots on the lake that you could put in your boat, but i do believe a mud motor is a must.

Fun place to hunt. Just read up on the brochure and apply for a permit.

http://www.myfwc.com/media/1526575/Good ... admoor.pdf
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt

imaduckin up north wrote:There aint no ducks in VA
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby florida old guy » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:52 am

Thanks for the info. What kind of ducks did you see there?
florida old guy
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:57 am

a little bit of everything, but mostly puddlers from the couple times i hunted there.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby Tuff5254 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:26 pm

Yeap have been there a lot. You can put in and try to get a permit but ive been down there at least once every phase for the last 5 yrs and have never been turned away. I dont hunt the Broadmoor side of it, i always stay in the Goodwin. The southern part of it is for "walkers" and north for "boaters". If you take a boat go with someone who has been there and can show you around, it gets confusing at night and you may end up in the wrong area. There are only a few "bad" spots down there but i have always killed at least something. I have noticed that the south part holds more puddlers and the north more divers. Let me know if i can help anymore. :thumbsup:
Tuff5254
hunter

Postby florida old guy » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:12 pm

Thank you for your reply. You mentioned 2 areas Broadmoor and Goodwin and the south side for walkers and the north side for boaters, which one is which? I think for the first time I should try the walk in side, plus I like what you said about more puddle ducks on that side. What are the main types of ducks found there, widgeon, pintail ??? Sorry for all of the questions but info from someone that has been there can save a lot of time. I hunted ducks on Marylands eastern shore for years, this is way different, gators, snakes ect. Thanks for your help.
florida old guy
hunter

Postby Tuff5254 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:05 pm

I have only been to the Goodwin parts of this place.
If you look at the map ( http://www.myfwc.com/media/1526575/Good ... admoor.pdf) there are 2 different sections. The lower end is the Goodwin. Anything below L-104 (sections 1-10) are all "walker" spots. They have a trailer that will take you along the center road and drop you off at each of the sections and you walk in. They come back at 9 and 11 to pick you back up. Sections 11-22 you can only get to by boat (mud motor a must). This is the confusing part, you got to know where you are or you will end up in someone else section. Either way one permit allows you and 3 other (total of 4), they open the gates at 0400 and you have to be checked in by 0430. Then they go down the list and you pick what sections you want to hunt, not all the sections are open every time. If you go without a permit you go to a different line when you arrive and they give you a number and you sign in with that #, after all the permits are in they go down the non permit list. You may or may not get a spot, but like i said i have never been turned away (DO NOT try to go without a permit on the first or last weekend!!) GOOD LUCK!
BTW they have killed it all down there, this will give you an idea
http://www.myfwc.com/media/1499274/duck ... t_data.pdf
Tuff5254
hunter

Postby florida old guy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:04 pm

Thank you very much for your reply. Info like this will save alot of time and mistakes. It is about a 3 hour drive over there for me and that limits the number of times I can just drive over and look around. Best of luck this season.
florida old guy
hunter

Postby Tuff5254 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:01 pm

Anythime brother thats what we are all here for. BTW Its very limited to scouting by itself. I wanna say that you can only scout on tuesdays and on foot but dont quote me on that. Shoot me a PM if you get a quota and ill give you some "better" sections that we found to hunt.
Tuff5254
hunter

Postby Belly up dux » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:34 am

I have hunted it and scouted it quite a bit. I always try to get the Broadmore marsh. Because it is a permit area there are a limited amount of hunters. You can shoot 4 hunters on a permit and you are limited to a cell or area to yourself. The rim ditch in Broadmore can be deep so if you don't know where you are going use a kayak or canoe to get across. If you get a Goodwin permit, just take the hayride to your cell. There are plenty of birds. Nick (ichabod) can tell you how deep that rim ditch is. He went swimming in it, in Jan. Pm me a phone number and I will give you more details. It's too much to type. BTW, if you have a permit and there are only 2 of you, grab a few guys from the walk in line and take them with you. Might make a new friend, and get repaid back.
Belly up dux
State Moderator

Postby florida old guy » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:21 pm

Thank for all the info. If I draw a permit I will send you my phone number and get some more details. Thanks again.
florida old guy
hunter

Postby wingmaster99 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:07 pm

send me your number too. i dont have any info, it would mostly just be used for prank calls.
09/10 season-
Coots-4
Hen wood ducks-1
wingmaster99
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby duckslaughter305 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:42 pm

hi guys when you say walkin do you mean like in sta3/4 with a canoe or is that not needed and you just walk in with a bag of decoys your gun and a seat
duckslaughter305
Newb

Postby Ichabod97 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:48 pm

there are some cells you can walk to, and most of those you do not need a canoe. The only place you really need a boat is on the lake portion of the WMA.

i think you are confusing "walk in" with "walk on".

a "walk on" is if you do not have a permit for that day. Not everyone always shows up that has won a permit. That walk on line gets very long, very fast. You need to get there really early to get in line to have a fighting chance of getting picked. They issue numbers to the walk on's in the order they would be able to pick if there are empty slots. I have never walked on there, but had good luck doing a walk on, on the STA's.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby duckslaughter305 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:52 pm

I mostly hunt sta3/4 and do great and just applied for this place. can you drive your car to the cell you chose.
duckslaughter305
Newb

Postby Ichabod97 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:53 am

for the most part. The roads are not the greatest, but work!
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby Tuff5254 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:58 pm

The only places you can drive your car to is the Goodwin boat ramp or Broadmoor. If you get a "walk in" spot on the Goodwin side they will take you out there and drop you off. They drive up the center road and drop you at the cross, and you have to walk down to East Central or West depending on where you get. Hope it makes sense.
Tuff5254
hunter

Postby MCMolinet » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:26 pm

hey there. im new to this forum and coming into this a year late, but... is the report pretty much the same as what ive already read on this post? ive never been up there before and i was just looking for some info like water depth, cover, etc... id be more than willing to swap spots as i do A LOT of sta hunts and could point you in the right direction. thanks
MCMolinet
Newb

Return to Florida Duck Hunting