Food to use in banding trap

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Food to use in banding trap

Postby Suncutter » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:15 pm

Been banding ducks but all we get are mallards and woodies. We have alot of teal in the area but never in the trap what can we use besides corn to draw the teal in?
870 wrote::welcome: to the site NYducks55
Around here you'd get a warmer answer by asking to have sex with our daughters. :
Suncutter
hunter

Re: Food to use in banding trap

Postby troutbum43 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:52 pm

Never used anything but good old corn, caught plenty of teal with it. Water depth is probably more of a factor than bait, teal are looking for shallower water (can't go down as deep as other dabbling ducks). Can be hard because shallow water means more chance of trap predation, always a balancing act.
Conserve, promote, protect and enhance...then harvest!
troutbum43
hunter

Postby Suncutter » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:19 pm

the water is only knee deep.
Around here you'd get a warmer answer by asking to have sex with our daughters. :
Suncutter
hunter

Postby troutbum43 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:33 am

Yeah I'd say knee deep is way too deep for teal. 10 inches is about the maximum depth a blue wing teal can feed at, less for green wing since they are a lot smaller. Think of the distance from their butt above water line (tipped down while feeding) to the tip of their bill. Thats the max depth of water they can feed in. They can't dive for the food. Just above ankle height (6-8 inches of water) is probably going to be your target water depth for teal where they can feed but it will restrict some predators. Hope this helps ya.
troutbum43
hunter

Postby neb_scott » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:25 am

I rarely see teal out in the fields so I'm not sure that corn would work, I don't know. Most teal are banded while molting becasue they can't fly. Maybe it goes without saying, but you can't handle migratroy birds for any purpose without permits from the feds...so you know. Good luck.
neb_scott
Newb

Postby Suncutter » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:17 am

yes i know about the permit deal.
Suncutter
hunter

Postby Jones co Ducker » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:28 pm

How do I take part in banding ducks?
WTN10 wrote:Why do you assume I'm a genius? Have you ever considered that I'm average and that you're retarded?

jehler wrote: Beginning of the season cyber scouters, whiney teenage drama queens and zombie trolls take their toll.
Jones co Ducker
hunter

Postby troutbum43 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:13 am

You need to find a group or agency that has a master banding permit and is planning to band waterfowl. Most state wildlife agencies will have a biologist on staff with a master banding permit. In the winter rocket netting for geese and birds like pintail is pretty common. DU or Delta Waterfowl also have some folks with permits, as do most national wildlife refuges. Its a great experience and well worth looking around and offering to volunteer your time!
troutbum43
hunter

Postby Jones co Ducker » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:25 am

troutbum43 wrote:You need to find a group or agency that has a master banding permit and is planning to band waterfowl. Most state wildlife agencies will have a biologist on staff with a master banding permit. In the winter rocket netting for geese and birds like pintail is pretty common. DU or Delta Waterfowl also have some folks with permits, as do most national wildlife refuges. Its a great experience and well worth looking around and offering to volunteer your time!

Yeah I think that would be a great way to volunteer and help with population research
WTN10 wrote:Why do you assume I'm a genius? Have you ever considered that I'm average and that you're retarded?

jehler wrote: Beginning of the season cyber scouters, whiney teenage drama queens and zombie trolls take their toll.
Jones co Ducker
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology