Ladies Advice if you'd please

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: NorCal Cazadora, LadyK, Outdoor Gal

Ladies Advice if you'd please

Postby MNWaterfowler22 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:24 pm

My lovely wife and I have been married for 4 years now and she hasn't made a big deal about me going hunting until just recently. A couple of days ago I had talked to her about doing a little scouting and going out to hunt during some of the up coming weekends. She was fine with it if I had gotten done with all of the things we needed to do over the weekend. I got everything done I was asked to do over the weekend and said I am going to do a little scouting since I am done with everything. She kind of flipped out at me and called me selfish for wanting to leave and go scout. She hasn't had a problem with me hunting before but it seemed that it was a big deal recently. She really doesn't want anything to do with hunting and whenever I do go she always asks how my dog did instead of how I did. She really doesn't like me talking about shooting ducks. She also is getting to the point where she is planning things over the weekends so I can't go and since I am a full time high school teacher weekends is all I got. so ladies if you have an advice please pass it along. I am very passionate about the sport (she thinks I am obsessed) and want to get out as much as possible since it is only a 60 day season.
If that doesn't light your fire, your woods wet!
MNWaterfowler22
hunter

Re: Ladies Advice if you'd please

Postby Ryd3r » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:54 pm

When I met my fiance I had never even shot a gun before, he took me out a few times, taught me how to shoot and now I get up at 3:30AM every weekend and sometimes a few days a week. Treking through sleet, rain, snow, freezing temps in waders. He and I are lucky enough to share the passion now, and I may have roped him into a few other passions of mine such as motocross.

My guess is that your lady feels like she is being ignored by you. Even though I love to go hunting, I get tired of the constant duck talk, where they gonna be? what are they going to do? did they see me? why are they landing in this part of the field and not that one? etc...It replaces "how was your day?", "what do YOU want to do this weekend?" etc...If your wife isnt passionate about ducks, do you expect her to be OK with you taking all of your together time for ducks? She probably feels that you got all your chores done so you can go scouting, and not so you could spend some time with her...aka where the being selfish part came in

If you could talk to her about her concerns, or take a weekend off to spend some time with her doing things she likes, or dedicate Friday and Saturday nights to her and her plans, perhaps that would help. Maybe convince her to come with. Even if she doesnt become as passionate as you, perhaps she will come to respect it as your passion, and wouldnt mind too much going with you every once and a while.

On a seperate note I live in Michigan but my fiance wants to move to Minnesota badly. Is the hunting and fishing that good or is it a lot of hype? What the prospect like for jobs and teaching (he and I are both secondary social studies teachers) :thumbsup:
"When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first." - Ernest Hemmingway
Ryd3r
hunter

Postby MNWaterfowler22 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:23 am

Ryd3r- thanks for the advice!! I will have to try that take a weekend off and do her things. Right now would be perfect since it is so warm here not that much is moving or happening. Although I am going this Sunday to see what I can get...I have some private land that is always good for wood ducks so I am hoping to get a few.

To answer your questions...I guess I would have to say, what have you been hearing about MN hunting and fishing :lol3: ...Really hunting and fishing to me is great!! :yes: Plenty of lakes to go fishing and over 1300 public land spots to hunt if you don't have private. We also have a wide variety of game you can hunt if you like hunting other things than waterfowl. Also if you can swing it in your budget living right next door to the Dakotas is pretty sweet!

To your second question...I live in the cities and there is a lot of opportunities around here since there are so many schools. Out in the rural areas you won't have as many opportunities but I really love MN I was born near a small down in central MN and am a country boy through and through. It actually pains me to live in the cities but my wife has a killer job with the federal gov so it is ok. It is also nice to have so many opportunities with so many school districts close to each other. Hope that answers your questions.
MNWaterfowler22
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:26 am

I think she said you gotta pay to play.

PAY extra attention to your girl so you can PLAY later.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby Ryd3r » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:41 pm

MNWaterfowler22 wrote:Ryd3r- thanks for the advice!! I will have to try that take a weekend off and do her things. Right now would be perfect since it is so warm here not that much is moving or happening. Although I am going this Sunday to see what I can get...I have some private land that is always good for wood ducks so I am hoping to get a few.

To answer your questions...I guess I would have to say, what have you been hearing about MN hunting and fishing :lol3: ...Really hunting and fishing to me is great!! :yes: Plenty of lakes to go fishing and over 1300 public land spots to hunt if you don't have private. We also have a wide variety of game you can hunt if you like hunting other things than waterfowl. Also if you can swing it in your budget living right next door to the Dakotas is pretty sweet!

To your second question...I live in the cities and there is a lot of opportunities around here since there are so many schools. Out in the rural areas you won't have as many opportunities but I really love MN I was born near a small down in central MN and am a country boy through and through. It actually pains me to live in the cities but my wife has a killer job with the federal gov so it is ok. It is also nice to have so many opportunities with so many school districts close to each other. Hope that answers your questions.

Thanks for the info. I was born in Chicago, lived there until I moved to Michigan when I was a teenager. I love the country lifestyle and wouldn't trade it for the world, but there are perks to living in the city. :yes: I ask because I ran into a guy from Indiana who went on a pheasant hunt in SD, and said, yes there are great oppertunities for pheasants, BUT good luck finding a place to hunt unless you are on a guided hunt. Made me think about MN. My fiance wants to live there so bad for the hunting and fishing, and since I am also a outdoor enthusaist it works out well for both of us. :smile:
"When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first." - Ernest Hemmingway
Ryd3r
hunter

Postby MNWaterfowler22 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:32 am

If you are really thinking about it...Check out the south metro that is where my wife and I are located. There are a lot of homes for sale around the area and it is a great spot since you are only a half hour from downtown Minneapolis/St. Paul. Also there is some good hunting spots around the area you just have to look. :yes:
MNWaterfowler22
hunter

Postby Kim in Camo » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:37 pm

Just wanted to say hi, a Minnesotan here too, and put in my 2 cents on the topic.

I would guess your girl doesn't understand the appeal of the sport....sometimes when getting out of bed at 3:30am and hauling a bag of deeks, a Mojo, guns, ammo etc out through the dark and cold....well, I don't quite undersstand it either. I just know that duck and goose hunting got in my blood and at that moment, no matter how cold I am or tired, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. If your girl doesn't like hunting, she won't get the passion you have for it. Hope she comes around - I did, and how!
Kim in Camo
hunter

Postby MNWaterfowler22 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:56 pm

:welcome: Kim,

Thanks for the advice. Where abouts in MN do you live? Haven't really gotten a lot of chances to get out lately but hopefully it will change. We are still young and have been only married 4 years. So she still kind of likes being around me...so I might have to wait awhile until she wants me out of the house more :yes:
MNWaterfowler22
hunter

Postby Kim in Camo » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:14 pm

I'm in the north metro - Brooklyn Center / Brooklyn Park area. We generally hunt out at Pelican Lake by Albertville because it's close by, relatively. Went on a girl's hunt this morning - me and my black lab Ashley - no luck though. I want to find another place to hunt :P we don't get out as often as I would like, either.
Well, you could wait til she wants you out of the house more, or try to coax her into joining you! She may not care for it much at first but she could come around. Personally I couldn't imagine not loving it now, but I'm so not a "girly girl" anyway. I mean, I hate shopping, unless it's Cabela's or Gander Mountain, and my most expensive clothes are my camos, waders and boots. They're my favorites too lol! So yeah, she could decide it's for her eventually. I'm 46, and just got into hunting 4 years ago (though I grew up in a family of hunters, men & women).
Kim in Camo
hunter

Postby MNWaterfowler22 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:57 pm

Sweet I am in the south metro. Usually don't hunt anywhere around here. I go to the private confides of my family farm near Willmar. It does suck having to drive 2+ hours to my hunting spot but it is just good to have an know I am the only one hunting it. My wife has said that she doesn't mind me hunting she just doesn't like me being gone all weekend when I go to my farm. She said that if I could find some hunting around here she would like that since I never wake her up anyways when I get up early to hunt. But around the metro it is kind of a crap shoot. Oh well might have to really look/beg some landowners. haha oh well season is almost over so I won't have to worry about it. :sad:
MNWaterfowler22
hunter

Return to Outdoors Women Forum