Best and worse ducks to eat?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Best and worse ducks to eat?

Postby elwoodUT » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:07 pm

what is everyones opinion of the best tasting ducks and the worste tasting ducks? I have not divided my meat up by type of duck. It all gets mixed together. I was wondering if I should split it up from now on or if I should not shoot certain ones because they arent as tasty.
I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that don't work.

Thomas Edison
elwoodUT
hunter

Re: Best and worse ducks to eat?

Postby xtrema2shooter » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:40 am

Limited to my experience with what we can shoot in my area, the best are wood ducks, the worst are the divers.
xtrema2shooter
hunter

Postby BrentP » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:15 am

I was just trying to search for a thread on this subject, so I am glad you asked..

my favorites are mallards, pins, gadwalls, and teal. There are also lot of spoonbills out here, I have found its best to use different cooking methods with them. They tend to have a powerfull taste. Keep in mind that different ducks taste different depending on what they have been eating. Just have to shoot them and try them i guess...

The few geese I have had tasted great too.

With less desirable ducks, stuff like jalapeno poppers are good, or recipies with lots of bacon and cheese.
BrentP
hunter

Postby aboz » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:01 am

I think it mstly depends on how you cook it. But my favorite are green wing teal, and the worst i've had has to be buffleheads.
take em
aboz
hunter

Postby likesbigspreads » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:50 pm

Love teal, but freshed grilled cans or redheads are hard to beat, they have to be fresh! Once they are frozen something seems to happen to toughen the meat and add a liver taste :huh:
likesbigspreads
hunter

Postby Tiburon5 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:26 pm

likesbigspreads wrote:Love teal, but freshed grilled cans or redheads are hard to beat, they have to be fresh! Once they are frozen something seems to happen to toughen the meat and add a liver taste :huh:
does anyone know how to fix that problem, besides not freezing them?

I think it has to do with what they eat. The best ones seem to be corn fed, or ones that eat a lot of barriers. It is hard to tell what they are eating be for you bag them, unless you hunt in a corn field or such. Age plays a part to. I like to eat younger birds.
Salad... it's what food eats.
Tiburon5
hunter

Postby HUNT24/7 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:06 pm

I like me some wood duck's, not a big fan of divers tho.
HUNT24/7
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:15 pm

Best: Wood ducks
Good: Canvasbacks, Pintails, Redheads. Puddle ducks in general.
Bad: I try and avoid shooting divers and Shovelers/Spoonies.
Horrible: Nobody eats coot but I heard it was good with green eggs and ham. :yes:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby ibedamn » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:45 am

I learned to cook all types, divers included. Plenty of marinade for a day or two, not hours, and don't over cook them. Medium rare works best...just long as they are still quacking.
ibedamn
hunter

Postby Big Shoe » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:43 am

Growing up in Norhtern Illinois I was taught by my father not to shoot any diver ducks. Mallards and Woodies were our favorites.

Moved to South Florida 30 some yrs ago and had to learn how to eat Ringnecks,a huge difference from the fat cornfed Mallards of Illinois!

The Mottled and Woodies here are'nt much different. :crying:

But the Teal and Snipe are my favorite! :beer:
Big Shoe
hunter

Postby VT_Diver-Junkie » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:02 am

Best either wood ducks or Mallards! Worst are divers but we go out diver hunting and tend to give the meat to dogs they always love them and it helps with the population control. I'll have to try the marinade for few days trick and maybe wrap in bacon while cooking in bacon fat and lots of butter.. :no: my heart is going to hate me
Theres nothing like frostbite and gunpowder in the air!!!!
VT_Diver-Junkie
hunter

Postby tako1972 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:45 pm

Woodies definitely are tops for me, especially if they eat acorns. Ive pulled 7-8 water oak acorns out of the neck of woodies in Louisiana. Then puddles of different sorts. Ducks that hit grain fields are probaly the cream of the crop. Whoever said buffleheads are terrible are absolutely correct as far as I am concerned. Ducks like Dos Gris(bluebills, Scaupe) are strong but in a good gumbo mellow out. Good luck, I would definitely separate the ducks and cook them according to their strengths and weaknesses.On a side note, rice fed Specklebellies rule! Im going to try cranes this year, and see how those cook up.See ya on the water.
tako1972
hunter

Postby WildernessWill » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:46 pm

Love teal. Maybe its cuz I take them out of the oven 30 mins before the mallard and munch em like appetizers and I am hungry. The worst is gadwall around my area. I have freaking oil refineries in the area and the local gadwall just stink so bad no marinade can save them. Why I have to live next to refineries and pay more than the rest of the country for gas is beyond me :huh:
WildernessWill
hunter

Postby blackened89 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:22 pm

i love them all
blackened89
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:10 pm

The rice-fed ducks from the Mississippi Delta can't be beat. Talk about fat mallards. :thumbsup:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby gooserslan » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:08 pm

I think teal are the best eating duck.

Worst would have to be Goldeneye or Bufflehead. There are plenty of ways to hide the strong taste though. :thumbsup:
Season Totals.
Flambeau Wood Duck- 1
GHG Wood Duck - 1
GHG Mallard Hot Buy- 2
Big Foot Canada Floater - 1
gooserslan
hunter

Postby Cliner » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:26 pm

How has nobody even mentioned a merganser?!?! Those things are awful! A lot of divers are fish eaters. The ducks that eat fish just never seem to taste as good as the puddlers who eat corn, beans, seeds, etc.
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Postby Jones co Ducker » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:04 pm

Wood ducks are #1 but mergs aint bad IF you cook it RIGHT
WTN10 wrote:Why do you assume I'm a genius? Have you ever considered that I'm average and that you're retarded?

jehler wrote: Beginning of the season cyber scouters, whiney teenage drama queens and zombie trolls take their toll.
Jones co Ducker
hunter

Postby BrentP » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:04 pm

What about ruddies? I just got 4 today, so I guess I will find out.....
BrentP
hunter

Postby g100driver » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:56 pm

They are all good in pepperoni ...But if I am eating them for dinner, its mallard or teal for us.
g100driver
hunter

Postby greasegetter » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:28 pm

here on long island n.y. dec rec not to eat mergansers at all.they smell as bad as they look.
mb500+3in.mag=dinner
greasegetter
hunter

Postby xxDuckWildxx » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:57 pm

Teal and Woodies are my favorite, but any puddle ducks are worth eating. Never ate a diving duck I liked except in jerky form. Canada and snow geese are excellent in "beef stew" or barbecued like pulled pork. Brant are fun to hunt and shoot but I am not sure any living creature enjoys eating them. I did hear of a recipe some use for Brant: "take a brant and pluck it, put it in a pot of water, boil for 3 hours, remove Brant and discard, eat the pot." 'Nuff said.
"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical"-Thomas Jefferson
xxDuckWildxx
hunter

Postby BrentP » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:17 pm

Well, the ruddies tasted just fine in case anyone was wondering. Theres a lot of them out here and I never bothered with them, but if one lands in my deeks again, its a dead duck. I did philly duck sandwitches with them.
BrentP
hunter

Postby semohunter » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:31 pm

aunt betty wrote:Horrible: Nobody eats coot but I heard it was good with green eggs and ham. :yes:

I have eaten a coot or two...andys Cajun fish fry works wonders....and have stuffed them with cream cheese, jalapeƱos, and wrapped with LOTS and I mean LOTS of bacon.....it's no woodie or mallard, but it's ok...
semohunter
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking