Planning a trip 2-6 Nov

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Planning a trip 2-6 Nov

Postby WIDuckDude » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:18 am

Hey Guys

A couple buddies of mine are planning on coming out to North Dakota from the 2-6 of November, 2011. We plan to be around the Carrington area and was wondering if anyone had any information on what to expect. I'm sure it will be cold and that wont really bother us seeing we are coming over from La Crosse Wisconsin. I guess I am wondering what kind of numbers we can expect to see and why type of hunting works best for this time of year...Field or open water? We have access to layout blinds and boats and plan on bringing both to ensure we can adapt to the location of birds. Is this typically the time the migration is in full swing? Are a lot of places frozen up by then? We will obviously keep an eye on the weather and adapt accordingly. Any information would greatly be appreciated. Thanks Again!
WIDuckDude
hunter

Re: Planning a trip 2-6 Nov

Postby slough » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:14 am

It may be a tough time to get on land as that is right before deer opener and most landowners usually tighten up access a bit unless obviously you have land lined up already. Unless you are wanting to hunt divers, field hunting will be your main option. Mallards don't seem to use little potholes a whole lot at that time of year, they usually relate to bigger water and corn fields. It could be zero degrees and no birds around or it could be 70 or anything in between, never know what to expect at that time of year.
slough
hunter

Postby backwoodsboy09 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:28 pm

Duckdude,
We just got home from ND last night, what you can expect...TONS of birds compared to Wisconsin (From Waukesha). We used our layout blinds on the edge of some decent ponds, your going to want to bring atleast 2 mojos with you. Me and my buddy scouted for one day right before opener and went out the next morning and limited out when it was 72 degrees. You can expect to see alot of mallards, BW teal, Gadwell and Shovelers. Shoot me a pm with some contact info and I can give you a little more information. Below is the ducks we got opening day and some of the geese we got on wednesday!
2011-2012
4 Bands
18 Mallards
7 BW Teal
9 Gadwall
11 Shovelers
1 Pintail
1 Ringbill
3 Woodies
22 Canadians
backwoodsboy09
hunter

Postby klee7013 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:16 pm

ill be near Carrington from the 26th to around the 1st.
last year we got stuck in because of the first blizzard of the year.
year before we where wearing short sleeves and actually took those off because it got warm
good luck
klee7013
hunter

Postby WIDuckDude » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:01 pm

Well guys my trip is about a week and a half away...any updates on the migration or hunting conditions?
WIDuckDude
hunter

Postby DuckKnuts » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:31 am

Hope you like to drink. That's about all that's getting done. WHAT A BUST. Pheasants arn't any better, horrible pheasant kill last winter. I heard the pheasants are down 74%. North Dakota get's like this. It the 80's everything dried up and the hunters stopped going there. In the 90's it was game on. I think it's a down cycle we are in. It's a long ways to drive to barely uncase your gun and expensive too. The guides will tell you they have great land and maybe they do but it will cost you.
DuckKnuts
Newb

Postby don novicki » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:57 am

See my post today under "migration" in the NoDak forum. Depending on how far you have to go you may want to rethink your trip. JMO though.....
don novicki
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:48 pm

Honestly it can be a crap shoot. It could happen any day....or not...... You're either here when it happens or not........ heck I live here (a couple hours out of the main flyway) and sometimes by the time I hear the birds are moving even I get there too late.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby acme » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:05 pm

6 of us just got back from a wed-sun hunt last week in an area not too far north of where you'll be. It was tough, but we managed to get 62 ducks and 9 geese. As always, we could've had a lot more if we could shoot better. These numbers were up about a doz from last year. Scouting was for sh!t. They'd be there in the am, not in the pm, there in the pm, not in the am. We figured it's mostly smart locals getting pushed around. Sitting on water and eating until someone finds them. Lots of pass shooting on some bigger water-even then mostly bufflehead and bluebills-we can always count on the bills. We did score a few cans and we did have one awesome evening of mallards coming back to roost in a slough, but they didn't come back the next night. One observation on the mallards we've noticed two years in a row in the same area with the same crappy warm, sunny weather-we've found the mallards hiding in cattail sloughs and cattails on the edges of big water. Hard places to get to and of course they tend to get up well before you see 'em, and you're awfully lucky if they come back. We figger they're smart, shot-at locals that sit and eat in the cattails till they have a reason to move. I have yet to really figure out mallards up there, as they're not usually down in the 3rd week of Oct, but I'm guessing they're hard to find until the sloughs freeze and then they have to go to the fields to eat. Always a great time figuring things out. New water every year means we have to rescout the same area year after year. Discovered the joy of waxing ducks/geese and then roasting. Yummy! Especially the cans. OMG.
acme
hunter

Postby WIDuckDude » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:42 pm

Thanks for the updates guys I greatly appreciate it. We're leaving next Wednesday for the trip so any updates from now until then would be great. Again thanks for the posts!
WIDuckDude
hunter

Postby WIDuckDude » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:54 pm

Well boys we leave tomorrow for North Dakota and from what I hear the birds have started to show up. Weather look favorable with snow and wind by the end of the week so Ill be sure to keep everyone informed. Thanks again for the updates and tips I appreciate them all. Ill be in touch.
WIDuckDude
hunter

Postby acme » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:09 pm

Good luck! I've also heard birds are on the move. My guess it will be out of sight!
acme
hunter

Postby mudder » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:31 pm

We just returned from ND and had a blast, once we found the birds. Hunted 90% fields.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUNh8rTztTs
mudder
hunter

Postby WIDuckDude » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:54 am

Well we got back from our trip on Sunday Morning, and I can report that we did very well. We had no issue shooting our limit everyday. The duck numbers were extremly high despite eveyrone on here telling me other wise. Mallards, Pintails, Redheads, Blue Bills, Canvasbacks, Gadwalls, Shovelers, Buffelheads were all in the area. I will definilty be back to North Dakota for some more duck hunting in the future. Thanks again for the updates and tips.
WIDuckDude
hunter

Postby Bull Can » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:39 pm

Honestly, you had some damn perfect timing this season. The past 10 days we have picked up a lot of ducks and geese. Glad to hear you had success!
Getcha Some Green
Bull Can
hunter

Postby Philo » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:52 pm

What area of the state were you in? Does it look like a lot of birds will be around through this weekend? Lookin at goin this Thurs thru Sunday.
Philo
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting