Oct 21st

Topics on New York hunting on the Delaware river to discuss, Delaware duck hunting, tactics and more.

Moderator: Daffy Ducking

Oct 21st

Postby deducker » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:50 am

is everybody ready for the 21st? the tide should be good and the impoundments flooded. still looking for the teal herd. anyone seen the herd at primehook yet?
deducker
hunter

Re: Oct 21st

Postby Huntfish12 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:00 am

i was at bombay hook yesterday, and there was a ton of em there. didnt really see any big ducks. saw some canadas, not a bunch. and a small flock of snows..mabye 2-300..way out in the bay.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby deducker » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:39 am

i'm thinking of taking a boat ride thru the hook on sunday. no sense in wasting my time watching the eagles.
deducker
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:04 pm

theres lottsa teal there, i can tell ya that.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby bubbasblazer » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:02 pm

If your talkin about prime hook , my buddies dad flew over it a a week or two ago and said it was flooded down there pretty bad it looked like a big puddle, could be tough for guys not familiar to the refuge.
bubbasblazer
hunter

Postby DE-Duck-n-Goose » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:49 am

Cruised up the Mispillion on Saturday am looking to net some mullet for an upcoming trip to Assateague.
Plenty of water on high tide and lots of ducks in the air.
I saw mostly Black Ducks and some mallards and teal.
The teal were in flocks of 15 - 20 and I was surprised to see the mallards in larger flocks as well (20+ birds).
The blacks were in smaller groups of 8 -10.
Most of the birds were not on the main river, but sitting in the smaller potholes back in the marsh.
It was a great day to take a ride upriver!
DE-Duck-n-Goose
hunter

Postby deducker » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:30 am

i'm taking the boat out sunday for a ride. *** is up wit the season starting on a friday?
deducker
hunter

Postby DE-Duck-n-Goose » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:05 am

I dont know, but it makes for a great 3 day weekend if you have the time.
2 days of duck hunting and 1 day of football ;)
DE-Duck-n-Goose
hunter

Postby Bigkc82 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:59 pm

It looks like there's alot of water at the hook but the hurricane moved alot mud around. Some places, especially access to blinds 6-13 and 22, are shallow. I had trouble going through with my long tail. I'd bring some push poles if you have an outboard.

Opening day has always been on friday for the longest time. I like it that way, keeps some of the weekend warriors away.

Last week the guys at the hook were out in the air boats grassing and repairing the blinds. Glad they did early instead of doing it the day before the season like a few years ago. Also blinds 11 and 24 have been removed. Here's the link explaining the this.

http://www.fws.gov/northeast/primehook/ ... pdate.html

Good luck to you guys, post some reports and pictures.
Bigkc82
hunter

Postby bubbasblazer » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:00 pm

Thanks for the info on da mud. I have aquired a little 10ft jon boat and recently redid a small 6hp out board. I was looking forward to trying the hook this year, I have only been out there a few times with friends, but if it's gonna be a hassle I may stick to the impounds at LC, I'd hate to get out to the hook and get turned around out there. The times I was there it seemed the way to the blinds was a little sketchy. I may just swap a few hunts with friends instead.
bubbasblazer
hunter

Postby duckinfool72 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:19 pm

bubbasblazer wrote:Thanks for the info on da mud. I have aquired a little 10ft jon boat and recently redid a small 6hp out board. I was looking forward to trying the hook this year, I have only been out there a few times with friends, but if it's gonna be a hassle I may stick to the impounds at LC, I'd hate to get out to the hook and get turned around out there. The times I was there it seemed the way to the blinds was a little sketchy. I may just swap a few hunts with friends instead.

if you get lost at prime hook you shouldnt be in the marsh. The reflective signs leading to each blind should make it a no brainer to get to where you need to go, doesnt get any easier then that. :huh:
DO SOME DAMAGE
duckinfool72
hunter

Postby bubbasblazer » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:55 am

I have only been theremaybe 3 times Fool. I do recall seeing the signs I think I hunted 15, where you cross the pond with the tower in the middle, after the sign off p hook creek you almost gotta line up with an orange light on a house up on the beach as the signs were non-existant. As far as you saying I don't belong marsh, instead of being rude how about we meet up and you show me around there one day. The only reason I didnt wanna go on my own is because I would hate to ruin someone elses hunt as I cruise up to the wrong blind and jump the ducks that landed in their dekes 10 minutes to shootin time.
bubbasblazer
hunter

Postby deducker » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:07 pm

go out on a sunday or when the season is closed to get a look at the marsh
deducker
hunter

Postby duckinfool72 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:49 am

bubbasblazer wrote:I have only been theremaybe 3 times Fool. I do recall seeing the signs I think I hunted 15, where you cross the pond with the tower in the middle, after the sign off p hook creek you almost gotta line up with an orange light on a house up on the beach as the signs were non-existant. As far as you saying I don't belong marsh, instead of being rude how about we meet up and you show me around there one day. The only reason I didnt wanna go on my own is because I would hate to ruin someone elses hunt as I cruise up to the wrong blind and jump the ducks that landed in their dekes 10 minutes to shootin time.

how bout you do something called "scouting" and do your own work. clearly I have done mine. PH is the easiest marsh to naviagte in the state of DE, lanes with PVC poles to stay between along with reflective signs coupled with the fact that the water is normally pretty low now days so going somewhere you shouldnt is almost impossible.
DO SOME DAMAGE
duckinfool72
hunter

Postby hojo73 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:09 am

The worst thing about people not knowing how to get around the hook, is they are trying to get out there with their big surface drive motors, and instead of taking their time they want to go as fast as they can and blow by the signs and end up on a mud flat. They give you plentuy of time with the 2 hour early drawling. I can get around their with a low battery spot light. It's not hard to navigate, just take your time.

Assawoman report: NO DUCKS as of yesterday morning (only saw 10 blacks)
hojo73
hunter

Postby duckinfool72 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:20 pm

I think its also hilarious to see that there are 1000 views and only 15 posts. cyberscouters out in full force.

I agree the mud motors are a problem and all they do is chew up the bottom making it tough to walk around what would normally be a firm bottom
DO SOME DAMAGE
duckinfool72
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:24 pm

duckinfool72 wrote:
bubbasblazer wrote:I have only been theremaybe 3 times Fool. I do recall seeing the signs I think I hunted 15, where you cross the pond with the tower in the middle, after the sign off p hook creek you almost gotta line up with an orange light on a house up on the beach as the signs were non-existant. As far as you saying I don't belong marsh, instead of being rude how about we meet up and you show me around there one day. The only reason I didnt wanna go on my own is because I would hate to ruin someone elses hunt as I cruise up to the wrong blind and jump the ducks that landed in their dekes 10 minutes to shootin time.

how bout you do something called "scouting" and do your own work. clearly I have done mine. PH is the easiest marsh to naviagte in the state of DE, lanes with PVC poles to stay between along with reflective signs coupled with the fact that the water is normally pretty low now days so going somewhere you shouldnt is almost impossible.

deducker wrote:go out on a sunday or when the season is closed to get a look at the marsh

why dont the both of you take some of your own advise and stop bitchin at one another....
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby hojo73 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:51 pm

I am not saying that the Mud motors are a problem, I think they are a nice tool to have at the Hook. They beat push poling in the mud. It's just the people who fly all over and tear up the marsh.
hojo73
hunter

Postby bubbasblazer » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:23 pm

I wasn't aware that you were allowed out there on sundays, I may give it a shot. I have no problem doing my own scouting, and learning the area I would like to hunt. With that said, the last thing i'm gonna do is sit here and keep posting about this so you can type some more bullshit. Maybe I'll see ya 10 min. to shootin time.
bubbasblazer
hunter

Postby take'emDE » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:42 pm

has anybody been out on the LC or TH impounds? just wondering if there is water in them or should i be prepared to play in the mud on friday morning. i would go out and find out myself but I'm working on my boat and won't be able to use it till friday.
take'emDE
hunter

Postby omaha » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:08 pm

Looked at assawoman, and rehoboth bay not much to report other than comarans, and surprisingly a lot of canadas. And not locals big flocks of migrators, I will say I have heard from a friend that the missapillion is looking good, but only past fredrica, but I have not seen it could be him blowing smoke up my ass.
omaha
hunter

Postby DE-Duck-n-Goose » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:13 am

Glassed TH on sunday from the boat launch - not like you can see a whole lot from that vantage point. Plenty of water, but the high tide was very high with the full moon and the wind. I bet there was plenty of water everywhere:) Didnt see much in the way of birds though. Maybe the bluesky and winds had them laying low. Someone on the youth hunt post said they did pretty well at woodland beach last weekend.
DE-Duck-n-Goose
hunter

Postby deducker » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:00 am

PH should be alot of fun with the breach in the dune, don't you think?
deducker
hunter

Postby DE-Duck-n-Goose » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:20 am

Sorry, dont make it to PH that much. I tend to hunt farther north.
I was going to try to hunt the state blinds there for Early Teal , but never got around to it.
Just seems like the blinds are a bit close together. Everybody calling at the same birds.
DE-Duck-n-Goose
hunter

Postby bubbasblazer » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:26 pm

I havent heard much about the dune lately last I saw on wboc was that they had it almost fixed. I wonder how the salt intrusion affected the plants that the birds feed on. I know they were getting quite a few crabs up by the water control structure at fowlers. Hopefully the salinity will decline over time and the freshwater grasses will be able to bounce back.
bubbasblazer
hunter

Next

Return to Delaware Duck Hunting