UPPER MISSISSIPPI FLYWAY - NOV. STATUS ???

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

UPPER MISSISSIPPI FLYWAY - NOV. STATUS ???

Postby BullCanBuster » Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:58 am

OK Gents - I'm heading to the ole Miss. in a few days, and want to know how anyone did last weekend? According to the USG surveys, duck numbers are down compared to the last 2 years at this time -- no surprise, since no big NW blows yet -- but tantalizingly close over this coming weekend.

3 weeks ago actually had 2 good days of hunting -- all puddle ducks, but sawe allot more flights than the surveys are saying. IS ANYONE SEEING THE DIVERS OUT THERE YET?

If I do this right, here's a pic from one day last year (5 guys, one day) about this time...
[/img]
Take The Drake, and watch them crumple!!!

BullCanBuster
BullCanBuster
hunter

Postby Layout » Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:42 pm

All the divers are on Green Bay, but you didn't hear this from me!
A ton of lead anchors

- Long live the retired "duck bus".
Layout
hunter

UPPER MISSISSIPPI

Postby MJB9138 » Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:47 pm

JUST GOT BACK FROM POOL 9 . AS OF WEDS, 11/3, CANS WERE ALL ON POOL 8. BLUEBIRD DAYS BOTH MY HUNTING DAYS . HAD TO LEAVE THURSDAY, JUST AS WEATHER WAS TURNING. LOTS OF HUNTERS ON POOL 9, BUT NO DUCKS. GET TO THE LANDING EARLY. GOOD LUCK
HUNT OUT OF A TDB
MJB9138
hunter

Postby BullCanBuster » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:46 am

Hunted pools 4/5 for 3 days last week with 9 hunters - took total 23 ducks, no cans - that's less than 1 duck per hunter per day!!! - ducks are definitely not down yet.

I have to echo what i have been seeing on chats elsewhere -- the water is clearer this year, and there is more forage. So for the ducks that are down, they do not have to move off the celery beds to find feed. They can just sit in the refuge and not have to fly around.

They are drawing down pool#5 next year, so it basically will be unhuntable except for the channels - in the short term, this will bring more vegetation and food for the ducks. hopefully in the longterm this will mean more ducks stopping to feed.

Note - first time ever no cans bagged whene they were open - one exception though, one was dropped and not recovered...

The cold weather and better hunting is yet to come.
Take The Drake, and watch them crumple!!!

BullCanBuster
BullCanBuster
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting