Rookie waiting on migration

The eastern side of the nation has some of the best hunting. Share your West Virginia duck hunting tips, tactics, insights and information.

Rookie waiting on migration

Postby DannyLE » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:21 pm

Well, I think I've got this early season thing down. Now I'm interested to know about the Fall migration. Will mallards and other ducks be moving in from the North by the second segment of this season? I'm a rookie and I'd appreciate all the info. I can get. I'm fairly sure about segment 3, but segment 2 might be a little different than this one. I've got the DU migration map, but it's hard to get good info. from it. ANY information is appreciated.
DannyLE
hunter

Re: Rookie waiting on migration

Postby WOODIE13 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:22 am

We should start seeing a big push on the opener of the 3rd split, but still will see a trickle of birds from the North, unless it gets real cold and freezes a lot of the little pot holes from all this rain we had. Was seeing a good number of teal in the area, but now they looked like they picked up and left. Still some resident mallards and an increase in wood ducks. Good luck.
WOODIE13
hunter

Postby Swingo » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:30 pm

Well, season is over up here in the north, and the big flight happened after it was too late. I'm right in the flyway. Was a lousy year because it was so warm, but you won't get migrators down there till LATE, if at all.
Swingo
hunter

Postby WOODIE13 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:31 pm

Hear that, but our's is still in, killing a few mallets, blaclks and missing a few pinnies; overall, I have seen worse; time to work on the woodie boxes;)
WOODIE13
hunter

Return to West Virginia Duck Hunting