Scouting Question

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Scouting Question

Postby txpanhandler » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:24 am

Howdy from Texas, been a longtime reader of the site, and wanted to start posting a little. Ive been duck hunting for a few years now, mostly just over playas and a couple field goose hunts. Considering our drought situation, I figure field hunts are going to be the best bet, especially outside the city areas with birds coming from the only water. I want to do my homework as far as scouting for field hunts, but want to know what some of yall's tactics are for your scouting. Geese are obviously pretty easy to scout for, but I'm not sure where to start for the ducks. Thanks, looking forward to another fun season.
txpanhandler
hunter

Re: Scouting Question

Postby kswildcat » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:37 pm

I always look for grain fields within a couple of miles of an open water source. Up here in Kansas, by the time the ducks start hitting the fields, we are pretty well frozen solid. I doubt that happens to you down in Texas, so my best advice would be to find a good concentration of roosting ducks, get out there early in the morning, and follow them. This is what we do up here, and it usually seems to work. By the way, :welcome:
kswildcat
hunter

Re: Scouting Question

Postby bluegreenteal » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:19 pm

:welcome: We usually just drive around in the evening before we want to hunt, see what field they are in, and get permission. Come next morning, the ducks should come back to that same field if they feel safe.
bluegreenteal
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting