lab trainer in mich?

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

lab trainer in mich?

Postby mjallen » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:53 pm

anyone know of a trainer in Michigan would like to get my dog trained she's only 3 months my last try not to sucessful thanks for any input
mjallen
hunter

Re: lab trainer in mich?

Postby sws002 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:06 pm

Only 3 months? Try some patience bro, at 3 months your dog show know its name, possibly how to sit and be potty trained and that's about it. Give it some time, dog training takes time and you will be much happier with the results if you are the one who does it.
sws002
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:25 pm

Dude, your not hunting that dog this year..

Find a good puppy class at the local school or VFW, enjoy the puppy, it will grow up soon enough.

Trainer in the spring, but do the yard work and home work while she is young and enjoy...
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:35 am

Your pup needs the basics first, Sit, Heel, Come and needs to learn its name and be leash trained before you start looking for a school. start with simple "fetch" and if the pup brings the ball back throw it again. If the pup does not bring it back do not chase it just end the game and try again later. BASICS first, then start the real training next spring.

Do not let what happened to my last pup happen to yours, I made the mistake of letting my girls play with him too much, mostly due to my work schedule. Now he has become a house pet rather than a working dog. Will try to work him again next spring and if it does not work out I will be looking for a new lab myself :mad:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby TopGunMich » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:19 pm

Hey, I see its been awhile. Anyway, I would buy the dvd series from michigans own Shawn Stahl "Fowl Dogs". He is a former world champ goose caller and a superb dog handler/ trainer!! Plus he's from Michigan!!!
Second, You need to read "Water dog" and "Duck dog" by Mike Landry or something close to that. Takes you from 1st days with pup to hunt test!!!
Third, contact Hunters Creek in Metamora. Several top notch trainers can help you with some advice or a full boarding program!

I picked up an 8mos old lab last winter, who had zero training. Totally neglected!! Now, at a yr and a half, he will run blinds, multiple retvs, whistle trained and hand signals. He's not perfect but he's already better than most! Make training fun! Always be positive, don't drell on what dog did wrong! Train 3x more than you think is needed!!
STIMULUS PKG THAT WOULD WORK: PUT A $1000 DOLLAR REWARD ON THE 15 MILLION ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS IN THIS COUNTRY, $2500 ON DRUG DEALERS, & $5000 ON TERROIST, $10000 ON POLITICANS !!!!!!
TopGunMich
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:30 pm

I think he is looking for a trainer as his last dog or "last try" ,as he said ,was not so successful. So he has a new dog and wants to get a trainer lined up ahead of time. Thats the way i take his post.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby mjallen » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:54 pm

A-Bomb wrote:I think he is looking for a trainer as his last dog or "last try" ,as he said ,was not so successful. So he has a new dog and wants to get a trainer lined up ahead of time. Thats the way i take his post.

exactly. had to put my last dog down he had like twenty five siezures worst day ever. so have new dog she is about 3/4 months old now was looking for pro trainer which I am not. she is fetching all ready will return to me and everything even was throwing her a frozen teal I have in freezer took her a little while but she picked it up and brought it to me I was happy as hell. so far I have her doing basics but have not introduced her to the gun hope she won't b gun shy. the basics I can handle but the harder stuff like blinds or hand signals or being steady in boat that is stuff I had problems with on my other dog just though some stuff would b easier taught by pro then me that's all. I know she still has lots of time just wanted to get stuff in line. thanks
mjallen
hunter

Postby mrclemen » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:53 pm

I have had my dog trained at:

Backcountry Kennels
57523 Patterson Hill Road
Marcellus MI 49067
Judy Truman - 269-808-6047

I am an extremely please client and I will have my future dogs trained there as well. She is very knowledgable and honest.
mrclemen
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting