Duck Hunting Forum banner

Remington 887 PROBLEMS !

40K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  snowgoose67 
#1 ·
I have a Remington 887 that has been having a lot of problems lately and dont know how to fix.. Ive tried with 3" and 2 3/4" shells and it happens on both sizes too. Sometimes I may take a shot and the breech bolt gets thrown all the way into the barrel to the point that I can see the hammer and there is a good 1" space in between them both. The pump gets jammed so hard that I have to put the butt on my knee and jam the pump down just to eject the shell. Ive had many times where i shoot and go to shoot again but it is jammed and I have to take a minute to really get the pump pulled back.
The second problem is that the breech bolt is very finiky. When I shoot it, most of the time, I have to push the pump as far forward as possible or else the bolt comes back 1/4" and wont shoot ! It seems odd and I can take a picture to show both scenarios (couldnt find anything online). Sometimes when I raise the gun up, just the slightest movememt will cause it to come back a little and i obvisouly miss my opportunity.

Any help with this PLEASE !

#3 ·
I had the same problem, it would jam with the 1/4'' difference of the bolt being pushed forward and pulled back. This is a common problem i talk to a few guys with the same problem and found a few things on line about it. I sold my 887 i didn't like the stiff action or the jamming problem. Good luck.

#4 ·
Send it to Remington with everything you just posted here. It should be covered under their warranty. Or trade it for a Benelli Nova. they work great and a lot of people say that Remington was trying to copy it when they made the 887. :yes:

#6 ·
Tennesseehick said:
waterfowlhunter said:
Send it to Remington with everything you just posted here. It should be covered under their warranty. Or trade it for a Benelli Nova. they work great and a lot of people say that Remington was trying to copy it when they made the 887. :yes:
and then what, deal with the "benelli click" :lol3:
Benelli click on a Nova?

#9 ·
Tennesseehick said:
I've seen them not shoot when the trigger was pulled, shells getting stuck ect.... could be operator error though, looking at who was manning the gun lol. Benelli vs Remington debate = Ford & Chevy
Ford VS Chevy???? Try Ford vs Ferarri!! And if you really want to get technical try China vs Italy! 2 of my friends bought the 887 nitro mag and I have a Nova. Both have had the same problems with FTF and ejecting. One of them even cost us a few ducks when he went to load before shooting time he couldnt pump it so i had to help him field strip it, but even the pins were stuck. So while I was messin with his gun birds were with in shooting range!!! :mad: I would say get your money back and buy something else. For the around same price as the 887 you can get a mossberg 500 or a remmington 870 both good trusty guns.

#10 ·
Tennesseehick said:
waterfowlhunter said:
and then what, deal with the "benelli click" :lol3:
:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Wrong gun. That is with the m1/s and SBE and it only happens if you hit thee stock on the ground and dislodge the locking bolt or let it get dirty (which takes a LOT of shooting).

#11 ·
Damn i thought maybe it was just me but when i shot a 3.5 nitro and went to cycle another rd my pump jammed back and i had to take it completely apart in the blind and it also cost me birds.But after i threw it back together it fired fine. Now i better keep an eye on it.

#13 ·
Tiburon5 said:
what is the toyota of guns then. remington sucks! just cut your loss and get a new gun, if you read through the history, at least one in three posts is about remington problems.
soooo you want a gun that rusts and keeps shooting after you let off the trigger?? :hammer:

sorry had to! :lol3:

#14 ·
did you ever get your problems resolved? i have the same gun and plainly told them to send me a new breack bolt and trigger assembly. As apposed to waiting 6-9 weeks without a gun.in the process i was told they had redesigned the breach bolt so im curious to see how it works and if it fixes it.

#15 ·
This doesn't directly answer your problem. But you can coat a $200 pawn shop 870 in textured paint for about $10. It's not going to keep the insides from rusting, but I don't think the ArmorLokt does either. I wouldn't buy a new model because the Remington quality seems to be going downhill, but some of the Wingmasters and Expresses from the 90s and 80s are still shooting strong. Just make sure the choke isn't rusted in. My 15 year old Remington 870 Express hardly ever malfunctions, and usually it's because a lack of cleaning after getting wet.

#17 ·
Double/Triple Feed - Live rounds jamming/ejecting or falling out of the magazine into the water? I was able to fix all of these issues in 2 minutes. See below for details;

Hello,

New member to the Remington M887 / 887 nitro mag family ... shotgun one day New, never fired.

Situation:

Got it home cleaned and lubed it, Loaded shells and went into the woods to shoot it. Pull trigger BOOM, pumped it .. first shell ejected great then I started to get double/triple feeds resulting in jamming. Sometimes the 887 would eject a spent shell plus a live round while chambering a third round, other times live shells would just fall out the bottom.

Disassembled magazine inspected .. looks good .. did this twice with same results. Called Remington customer service and they mailed me a new trigger group (customer service was outstanding). After comparing the new trigger group to the one with all the problems mentioned above it was clear what was wrong.

Because the post is detailed with pics please use this link http://www.remingtonowners.com/topic32-10.html

I joined and posted here because a member of your forum helped me troubleshoot my weapon. To return the favor, I hope this post helps any others facing the issues I did. Take care

Squirrel :beer:

#20 ·
I shot Remington 870's for 39 years..... Only prob I ever had was shooting Remington shells. Go figure. then towards the end of last year the last old gun gave up. After much research about the "New Remington" Went with a SN and haven't missed a beat. I don't care who makes a gun. It should work out of the box. And continue to work. Having to send it in or do home fixes is BS.
With over 2000 rounds through the SN there hasn't been any probs shooting 2 3/4 - 3 1/2.

#21 ·
This might be totally unrelated but....

I see many young guys who like to "RAMBO" their pump guns and I might have been one once.

By RAMBO I mean pump the HOLY crap out of it like it has to be done as hard as possible.

Are you RAMBOing your gun?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.