bird numbers????

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

bird numbers????

Postby blackduckkilla13 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:57 am

I heard our local number of Mallards were down via Delta Waterfowl, DU mag and Wildfowl mag, but were we surprised this weekend? We hunted all day Thursday, Friday night, all day Sat, and Sunday morning and saw virtually nothing. We went everywhere: probably drove close to 50 miles and we saw very little. We hunted a variety of tactics too, scouted by boat and by land and we are just dumbfounded by the lack of birds in West MI. Anyone else seeing really low numbers?
blackduckkilla13
hunter

Re: bird numbers????

Postby sws002 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:29 am

Not many migratory birds around yet, mostly just local birds, which have probably been shot to heck by now. Typical October lull, some nasty weather in the next few weeks should be promising, until then, do like we do and just blow up the geese.
sws002
hunter

Postby blackduckkilla13 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:57 pm

no October lull for us. We saw no hunters in our area the past two weekends. And for both weekends we have heard less than 10 shots from other groups within sound. It is really odd.
blackduckkilla13
hunter

Postby sws002 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:15 pm

blackduckkilla13 wrote:no October lull for us. We saw no hunters in our area the past two weekends. And for both weekends we have heard less than 10 shots from other groups within sound. It is really odd.

How is that not an October lull? Low bird numbers (especially with no hunters) = lull
sws002
hunter

bird numbers????

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:54 am

sws002 wrote:
blackduckkilla13 wrote:no October lull for us. We saw no hunters in our area the past two weekends. And for both weekends we have heard less than 10 shots from other groups within sound. It is really odd.

How is that not an October lull? Low bird numbers (especially with no hunters) = lull

That's not a lull. It's just a temporary lack of birds and decreased hunting pressure...duh.

Lol
assateague wrote:Wives are all against super cool, awesome ideas. If Columbus had been married, we'd all still be European.

WisconsinWaterfowler wrote: You just have to use the back of your throat and hum. That's how I would describe it anyways.
DeadEye_Dan
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:27 am

Saginaw Bay is Dead compared to last year, I stayed the 1st week and 2 weekends and only into my second box of shells, Usually I am into the 4th box by now. :biggrin: I have only taken about 2 dozen birds this year and most are geese. I can not hunt this weekend due to work but hoping the next week will bring down the big flocks.

I have been filling my doe tags with the bow and will wait for the big migration to start. :mad:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby blackduckkilla13 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:18 am

SWS to me a lull means the birds were here but now are gone. Most guys I know hunt hard the first weekend, do well, and then will say there is a "lull" until the next groups come in. Next time I post for you I will explain everything since the object of the post was whether or not anyone is seeing really low numbers? Sorry if I confused you.
blackduckkilla13
hunter

Postby sws002 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:59 am

No need to spell everything out, unless it helps you figure out just what you are trying to say, because basically what you just said was, "What I said was lull, but what I REALLY meant was we are in a lull." It's called an October lull because there are never huge numbers of birds here in October, just local birds that get shot around the first few weeks and then seem to disappear, causing said lull. It's not until the weather gets nasty up north that we start to see birds in large numbers down here, which usually happens at the end of October and sometimes even into late November depending on the weather.
sws002
hunter

Postby blackduckkilla13 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:06 pm

yep you make sense: you do hunt where I do and obviously have vast experience under your belt about all areas. Thank you for teaching me about a "lull".
blackduckkilla13
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:54 pm

Lull
1. A relatively calm interval.
2. An interval of lessened activity.
:hammer:

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:55 pm

Also a lull can be defined as the area where I hunted and left no birds for the next guy :yes: :lol3: :yes: :lol3: :yes: :lol3: :yes:

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting