Getting Geese to change fields

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Getting Geese to change fields

Postby bradroy55 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:29 pm

I have a fresh cut cornfield that i watched about 200 geese land into tonight at around 4 pm, problem is, for safety issues, i am not sure if i want to hunt that specific field or not, their are four other fields around it separated only by road, and much safer to hunt i think. will incoming geese switch the field they have been going to to come investigate one with deeks and a call?
Thanks for the help
bradroy55
hunter

Re: Getting Geese to change fields

Postby xtrema2shooter » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:53 am

We've used scarecrows with decent success.
xtrema2shooter
hunter

Postby bradroy55 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:00 pm

hmmm, thats pretty interesting. Thanks for the tip!
bradroy55
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:04 am

If you know the path they are traveling too and from the food source you can try too set up on that path and sometiimes it works sometimes it doesn't! The more decoys you put out when trying to invite them into another field the better! It helps sell the deal that there is something there for them if you have alot more decoys set up than if you were too set up in a field they already want too be in! I am seeing flocks of 150-400 geese in chopped fields at this time,so the more decoys the better in my opinion! They are landing in flocks of 20 or so but they are begining to bunch up on food sources,you have to make it look like the food is there,and have all the decoys you can to sell that! Good luck!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby Champney » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:39 pm

get in the feild on then flight path from the roost and put of 120fbs. or as many as you can possibly can then put a coyote decy in the feild they were in before. i did it in the past where the farmer gave me permission for one feild but not the one there in cause of the houses. call and flag like crazy it works.
Champney
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting