Beretta Xtrema II Firing problem

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Beretta Xtrema II Firing problem

Postby toxicwater » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:20 pm

hi I have a Beretta xtrema II and lately ive been having problems with it misfiring all the time. it will click and leave a small dent in the primer. i find it happens more with the case of kent shells i bought but i haven't tried any thing else in a while because i had the kents but if anyone has had a similar problem please help. and i have degreased every part of the gun many times also. its really getting on m nerves and i cant stand it anymore
Toxic Calls Field Staff

Ducks and Bucks
toxicwater
hunter

Re: Beretta Xtrema II Firing problem

Postby mudpack » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:04 am

I have shot several cases of shells through my Xtrema2 without the problem you have, but it was all Remington ammo.
I'd try some ammo from brands other than Kent before I suspect the gun. How many rounds have been through the gun in total??
mudpack
hunter

Postby toxicwater » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:48 pm

A LOT of rounds some where around 2000 or something so i dont know if the firing pin is just worn out or what but i have sent it in to beretta and it still does it. i find that it doesnt do it as much with other brands but still enough to get on your nerves (like you said it was with rems)
Toxic Calls Field Staff

Ducks and Bucks
toxicwater
hunter

Postby GThomp » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:45 pm

toxicwater wrote:hi I have a Beretta xtrema II and lately ive been having problems with it misfiring all the time. it will click and leave a small dent in the primer. i find it happens more with the case of kent shells i bought but i haven't tried any thing else in a while because i had the kents but if anyone has had a similar problem please help. and i have degreased every part of the gun many times also. its really getting on m nerves and i cant stand it anymore

Mine used to do this as well when it got really cold, or was dirty. You need to pull the firing pin out, and use a small pipe cleaner. The dirt is not in the pin, but the area around the pin in the housing... It will fix the problem until it happens again. My recommendation is to get out while you are ahead and sell it to buy a maxus or another shotgun. Mine's barrel bulged, and the gas system was destroyed on a cold snowy day. I think water got into the gas system, froze, and plugged the holes in the barrel. Beretta did not cover it in their warranty...
GThomp
hunter

Postby rafterbm » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:41 am

There is an o-ring in the forearm. It goes under the cap (that holds the barrel) inside the forearm. Sometimes it gets misplaced. This causes the barrel to move forward just enough for a soft hit. There are some videos showing this on youtube.
rafterbm
hunter

Postby toxicwater » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:03 am

alright thank you guys ill look it over and see if it fixes the problem tomorrow morning
Toxic Calls Field Staff

Ducks and Bucks
toxicwater
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:22 pm

Those have a locking bolt head simular to the SBE, if it does not lock in all the way you will get light primer hits. Could be grime in the bolt recess, Weak recoil spring or the bolt is dirty inside and not allowing full rotation of the bolt head. Take the bolt apart and clean it out real good, Clean out the locking area in the barrel and you will be good to go.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby dukhntr » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:17 pm

Sorry to hear you are having misfire issues with the extrema 2. I have experienced 2 with mine. I have about 2 or 3K rounds through mine. I am totally anal about cleaning my guns though. When I had issues, I had never taken the bolt assembly apart. I took it apart and was amazed at all the junk that was inside of it. I litterally had clumps of junk fall out. Since then, I've had no issues. There are several articles on this happening. Check out www.shotgunworld.com There are plenty of helpful guys on that site as well....
dukhntr
State Moderator

Postby NorthGAXtrema19 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:43 am

I know this is a really old post, but it came up on a Google search for me. I had the same issue with several Kent shells. Just wanted to see if the original poster was around to discuss.
NorthGAXtrema19
Newb

Postby 10Tenner » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:27 pm

I wished I had seen this post sooner. My brother has two Extrema II's, and we hunted with another guy who had problems with Kent ammo with his Extrema II. The primer cups are harder with Kent ammo, and my brother was having problems with Fiocchi 209 primers. He sent one of the guns back three times, was even told not to shoot reloads, says so in the manual. He went the rounds with Beretta and they were arrogant to a point, nothing wrong with the design change of the trigger from the Extrema I. Third time back and then he notice that one of the two inner and out firing pin springs was missing. They had taken one of them out, not necessary, as he has not had one misfire this season. 10Tenner
10Tenner
hunter

Postby Chattflorida » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:21 am

I had this same exact problem back a couple months ago. I'd had the gun 6 years and never took the bolt apart. When I did I couldn't even see through the hole where the firing pin slides back and forth because there was so much gunk in it. I took some cleaner and blew all the gunk out and cleaned it really good and haven't had a single problem since. I was shooting the federal speed-shoks.
Chattflorida
hunter

Postby NZFowler » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:01 am

I have had similar problems with my Xtrema 2. My 2 3/4inch 7/8oz reloads were not firing every 3rd or so round. The fiocchi 209 primers had light strikes on them. I had never had a mis-fire before with any brand of ammo, i have even shot a case of Kent through it no probs.

I thought i had fixed the problem by disassembling the bolt and cleaning it completely. Even on the inside of the pin hole (thinking that dirt was keeping the shoulder of the pin back). unfortunatly it was still light striking. :huh:

I have since replaced the main hammer spring as i always left the gun cocked (not loaded) in the gun safe and i suspect the 1st owner of it did the same. I think the original spring was compressed and weakened by this. I have fired 25 reload rounds with no problem since then :thumbsup:
NZFowler
Newb

Postby xtremaduckkilla » Wed May 22, 2013 3:04 pm

Ditto on this issue. I use my Xtrema extensively in and out of duck season. Shooting sporting clays last week with a few new friends, pulled the trigger and barely a click on the cap and no "bang". Had to switch to a back-up gun. I replaced the spring last time it happened two years ago thinking it was fatigued. I'll have to look inside and clean the firing pin port. I have not myself, but is this a piece that should be oiled? Seems that would contribue to build up, or would it minimize the friction? Ideas?
xtremaduckkilla
Newb

Postby HG88 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:42 am

I had the same problem with Kent's in my extrema 2 but had zero issues from them in my cheapo maverick pump.
HG88
hunter

Postby OldGeezer » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:22 pm

My Xtrema II also had intermittent misfires, especially with Fiocchi shells. I cleaned everything around the firing pin and replaced the inner and outer springs. No luck. I then replaced the hammer spring. Never had any more issues.
OldGeezer
hunter

Postby Edge » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:56 pm

I take my bolt assembly out to the air compresser and blow all the gunk out with air, after douwsing good with with break free or any cleaner. Keeps em looking new.
Edge
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum