Ducks on warm days

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Ducks on warm days

Postby Omaha Clucker » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:34 pm

What's everyone's opinion on how long is safe to leave ducks out before cleaning and storing in the early season? Last weekend it was up in the 60's by the time we got back in about noon. We cleaned them right away and got them into the freezer. I never though about it before but would temps that high make the meat sketchy like it can with a deer in early season? I'd rather come in early than end up with a bunch of ducks that aren't safe to eat.
Omaha Clucker
hunter

Re: Ducks on warm days

Postby MurphyMID » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:51 pm

I put my ducks in the fridge whole for a week before cleaning them. I don't think a little temp abuse at 60 is going to hurt them...
2012:
Birds 76
MurphyMID
hunter

Postby krk2662 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:07 pm

What is the reason for putting the ducks in the fridge for a week?
MurphyMID wrote:I put my ducks in the fridge whole for a week before cleaning them. I don't think a little temp abuse at 60 is going to hurt them...
krk2662
Newb

Postby side-slippin » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:29 am

krk2662 wrote:What is the reason for putting the ducks in the fridge for a week?

so the enzymes go to work
"Augustus...
...by-god Woodrow, it's been quite a party ain't it.
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Postby Tiburon5 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:51 am

It would be like ageing a deer. i clean my birds before we leave the field though.
Salad... it's what food eats.
Tiburon5
hunter

Postby BrentP » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:08 pm

you can pull the entrails and organs out while waiting for more ducks to fly by and lay them somewhere in the shade. With the guts out and a hole for air to circulate through, they will cool down faster. Thats what I do if its hot out...
BrentP
hunter

Postby Morning Flight » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:23 pm

MurphyMID wrote:I put my ducks in the fridge whole for a week before cleaning them. I don't think a little temp abuse at 60 is going to hurt them...

Do you remove the entrails prior to aging? Any idea what temp the fridge is? I think my garage would be cold enough for this in the winter but not sure. I've always wanted to age them. Do you hang em or just lay em in there? Plucked?
Morning Flight
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking