Waders For Women - Where? and Who?

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: LadyK, Outdoor Gal, NorCal Cazadora

Re: Waders For Women - Where? and Who?

Postby kfgirl » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:01 am

Hunt'Boy wrote:
kfgirl wrote:I'm going out scouting with my "mentor" in a few weeks. And I have nothing to wear! lol!

Can anyone recommend a store and/or brand for waders that are better suited for women? Boots?? I was at Bass Pro this past weekend and every thing just looks huge to me.

Also, gloves - Bass Pro only carries men's waterfowl gloves. But the mediums were too big & smalls out of stock. Any suggestions??

I'm in the Baltimore, MD area so the weather's already cool here.

Curiousity brought me on this thread. If in any case there will be another need for waders, here's something I think might be of good help, well, this is an outdoor gear store here HikerWay. I've seen a good pair of nice gloves and all sorts of waders, I've seen a pink and burgundy waders for the ladies.

Pink waders?? That's almost funny! I'll check out the site. It's funny how much you can learn in a matter of a few outtings. I'm still leaning towards just making a trip out to Cabela's. I'm in search of a good (camo) spring jacket now for Turkey season. The gloves situation still needs remeding. I have a couple of those camo, fingerless pair that I'd been using to shoot trap with on cold days.
vincentpa wrote: Even if you're Bruce Lee, you ain't the same Bruce Lee wearing waders.
kfgirl
hunter

Postby duckdog81 » Thu May 03, 2012 8:24 am

I ordered mine online through Walmart and picked them up at the store. I got them in duck blind. The size runs pretty good. I think I bought size 7. I wear a 7 1/2 shoe and a 4 in pants. They have a slim fit though so they can be a bit snug when you layer them over your other clothing when its real cold. The boots also aren't warm enough but I use electric socks.
duckdog81
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Fri May 04, 2012 6:44 pm

I picked up a pair of wader's in a men's size 8 last year. I actually borrowed them from a friend, she had only worn them once. I ended wearing them at least half a dozen times last season. They work for me, though they're a bit bulky. With the extra room in the boot though I can stick toe or insole warmers in and wear really thick socks. They're only 600gram, but with the warmer and sock combo I stayed nice and warm last December when it was 10 degrees out. I also made sure I was wearing the right layers on top of course.

I've seen pink waders before, but they're made for fishing. :wink:
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby agd68 » Tue May 15, 2012 6:36 am

Kim in Camo wrote:I think I'll look for zip-bottom waders and put up with stripping down to pee out of sight, thanks! :grooving:

Like I tell my wife...dont complain then when that cold wind whistles over your bare bottom..lol.
The Gogirl from Cabelas comes in a seal top tube to put it in after use. Your in a marsh or boat anyway, so lots of water to rinse it off with too.
agd68
hunter

Postby BGipson » Sun May 20, 2012 9:45 am

For gloves I would highly recommend Under Armor. I have a pair of the midweight gloves and a friend of mine had the heavyweights. I have bad circulation in my hands (and feet) and the midweights worked well for me down to about 30 degrees. The best thing about the UA gloves is that they aren't overly bulky like a lot of gloves can get so you can still operate a shotgun with them.
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby lilredneckgirl » Mon May 21, 2012 6:28 am

One of my biggest chuckles is hearing women wanting gear made for women....
In most aspects of hunting and staying warm/dry, there is a vary limited variety of gear designed " just for us girls".
And when you do find something, it typicaly comes at a premium price....
I personaly shop side by side with my husband in the guys gear sdection of a store. I found early on, that the "she" lines cost double.
I dont hunt to make a fashion statement. the ducks deer & turkey dont seem to care that I look like a guy in my camos. And its only my husband that knows im wearing pink panties under neath it all.
Waders are just that, huge rubber boots that are going to be wet, mud covered and drab geen colors. they dont need to be taylor fitted. Big is good when your wearing extra thermal layers underneath.
My thought on waders, Stay away from the cheapies. They are just that. one year disposables that leak. Look for neophreane. And the boots, advoid the felt bottom boots. They do help with slick rocks, BUT, with invasive algea like 'didamo"? on the loose, a good rubber sole is washed off much more easily. Dont carry hitch hikers to the next water shed.
YES I HUNT LIKE A GIRL!!!! BooYaaaa
lilredneckgirl
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon May 21, 2012 7:13 am

I've been to both Mack's Prairie Wings and Cabela's.
At Mack's they have a special area for trying on waders which I thought was a GREAT idea.
I'm not sure but I'll bet that Cabela's would let you try on waders in the store.

Mack's:
2335 U.S. 63 North
Stuttgart, Ar. 72160
Rich-N-Tone duck calls is right next door so if you want your RnT calls signed or tuned stop in while at Mack's.

I'd avoid waders with zippers. Ice could be an issue.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby BGipson » Mon May 21, 2012 7:51 am

aunt betty wrote:I've been to both Mack's Prairie Wings and Cabela's.
At Mack's they have a special area for trying on waders which I thought was a GREAT idea.
I'm not sure but I'll bet that Cabela's would let you try on waders in the store.

Mack's:
2335 U.S. 63 North
Stuttgart, Ar. 72160
Rich-N-Tone duck calls is right next door so if you want your RnT calls signed or tuned stop in while at Mack's.

I'd avoid waders with zippers. Ice could be an issue.

Same thing with stockingfoot waders.... got stuck in a pair for over an hour after a hunt my first season in South Dakota. Boot had over a half inch of ice.
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby kfgirl » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:58 am

I wondered about those Under Armor gloves... Where'd you get your pair BG? I can't wait for next season... AAAAAAAH!!! :hammer:
vincentpa wrote: Even if you're Bruce Lee, you ain't the same Bruce Lee wearing waders.
kfgirl
hunter

Postby BGipson » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:19 pm

kfgirl wrote:I wondered about those Under Armor gloves... Where'd you get your pair BG? I can't wait for next season... AAAAAAAH!!! :hammer:

Well I found them in my truck... I called every person who had hunted with me in the 3 weeks prior and nobody claimed them so they became mine. I am so excited for this season to get here and to hammerin on some birds in my new state

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby kfgirl » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:32 pm

Nobody claimed them???! :huh: You have fools for friends! jk :yes:
kfgirl
hunter

Postby Indawoods » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:07 pm

assateague wrote:I'm not THAT cheap.

-on the viability of Pabst Blue Ribbon as a thirst quenching barley pop.
Indawoods
hunter

Postby Girlshunt2 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:40 pm

I have a pair of size 7 youth/ladies redhead max 4 neoprene waders for sale $100 obo + shipping
Girlshunt2
hunter

Postby Girlshunt2 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:41 pm

Brand new with tags in the box
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354905661.841082.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354905661.841082.jpg (29.9 KiB) Viewed 1938 times
Girlshunt2
hunter

Postby bwpt95 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:36 pm

Just bought Cazadora waders from Cabela's after trying them on in the store today. They're backordered online but available in our local store. I was surprised to get the 8 'cause I usually wear a 9 shoe. Glad the 8 boots were still roomy as the waders fit a lot better in 8. Perfect! Never had an interest in waterfowling because sitting still in pre-dawn winter cold doesn't appeal to me, but my husband promised we'd get warm clothes for me and so far so good. It's been quite a search, though, to find reasonably-priced functional women-specific clothing.

Got an insulated jacket from Bass Pro, the Cabela's one said online it was waterproof but once we got to the store it said "water resistant" and I read reviews online complaining of how women got soaked.
bwpt95
hunter

Postby LAhunting77 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:58 am

I got the RedHead waders like Girlshunt2. They are great. I got a size 8 mens. They are big on me, but after putting a couple pairs of socks, my thermals, and my coat still roomy and comfortable.
LAhunting77
Newb

Postby Goosebumps » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:08 pm

Check out my post to the lady who gets cold waterfowl hunting. Posted today 8/11/13.
Goosebumps
hunter

Postby greenster » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:07 pm

SHE safari, buy a size bigger than you need. From experience male waders are not made correct in Hips and bust. took like 2 hours in mack's watching her try on waders.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Waterfowl_junky38 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:48 pm

Hey I've been shopping around for waters because the ones I had ripped and I can't find anything in my size I'm considering the cabelas superman waist high waders but I dint know what a men's size 8 is in a womens also are the she waders worth it or should I stick with men's.
I'm a girl and pink camo pisses me off seriously what are you hunting flamingos?!?!?!
Waterfowl_junky38
Newb

Previous

Return to Outdoors Women Forum