Internet Scouting 101

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

Internet Scouting 101

Postby kydrake » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:18 pm

Blake post all your important internet scouting info here like on FB. Can we maybe make this a how to thread on the subject. Maybe Internet Scouting 101?
kydrake
State Moderator

Re: Internet Scouting 101

Postby teamoutlaw » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:51 am

First step: decide the area your going to target. If it is months before season check for blind drawings or hunt drawings you can enter in. (TN cost a few bucks on public draws for a couple dayes hunts, and several blind drawings. OH minimum liscense to enter blind drawins and also quota type hunts, Georgia free for waterfowl (builds off priority points), Illinois Free and up to 5 goose hunts and 5 duck hunts, KY small fee per location Henderson, Ballard, (Clarks river refuge dates are free sign up), Permits for Bluegrass army depot flooded timber completed in July, Barkley blind drawin, henderson i think, and doug travis wma, etc...... all thats found from searching the web.

Second: log on to all the local forums, dhc, refugeforums, kentuckyhunting and search the desired location of where you plan on hunting to see if there are any recent post about or see if there anyone talking about specific spots, but also search previous season post about locations where people did good. Also check all Kill photos to see if the background gives away specific locations even if they didnt say where it was at. Look at where they are from because alot of people will hunt around where they live normally.

Third: Print out a map of the layout of the land from KY fish and wildlife or google maps if applicable.

Fourth: access Google earth and take screen shots of certain target areas. as well as printing these maps out for guidance. (even if it is your target area and no one has talked about it, might mean it is a hidden Gem)

Fifth: If you have a gps mark pot holes, sloughs, with the gps cordinances provided by google maps.

Sixth: check the weather and mark the best sides of pot holes, sloughs, etc to focus on based on wind direction.

Seventh: send out some pm's to guys who hunt the area and see if they will help you out by any chance, but do your homework before contacting them. But beware they may mislead you if its good vice versa. ( A true scouter will never make a screen name and will only be a reader)

Eighth: check waterfowl bird counts to see if the bird counts provide you with belief that birds are present here. (If applicable)

Ninth if you get checked by wardens or have a check in/out spot ask where the birds are being killed at.

Thats all i got for now.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby quackstacker2 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:04 pm

Good reading.
A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.
quackstacker2
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby DuckSuperNova » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:17 am

Those tips should help the new guys.....like me.
DuckSuperNova
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:49 pm

ive used some of those methods several times lol
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby duckslaya_187 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:21 pm

that works. i did those things and killed ducks in backwater this weekend. we killed a bunch of ducks. green ducks! my calling is the best. well the best between my friend and me.
if you aint blastin you aint lastin
duckslaya_187
hunter

Postby JamieDuck1993 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:50 pm

Most of the time I use a modified choke.
JamieDuck1993
hunter

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting