Clarks Hill Lake

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

Clarks Hill Lake

Postby Sc Duck Commander » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:23 pm

how is the hunting on Clarks hill in from the Aiken area and never hunted clarks hill. ive fished the hell out of it but not hunting.
R there good numbers of birds there and species. im not asking ur hunting spot just looked for some info on the hunting there.

Thanks
2012/2013 Season
Canada Geese : 6
GWT:
BWT:
Woodies:
Hoodies:
Ringnecks:
Mallards:
Sc Duck Commander
hunter

Re: Clarks Hill Lake

Postby xxsckarterxx » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:34 pm

Fill your truck up with Gas...Fill your boat up with Gas and pay the ramp fees and take your a** scouting

**EDITED BY MOD**
xxsckarterxx
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:04 pm

That was uncalled for karter. He's not asking for spots, just general info. This isn't the SCDUCKS forum!
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby Team_Cut'em_All » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:18 pm

carolinagreenhead wrote:That was uncalled for karter. He's not asking for spots, just general info. This isn't the SCDUCKS forum!

X2!!!!
Choot'Em Mudda Fricka!
"Kill Ducks" If You Bait Them! They Will Come!
Team_Cut'em_All
hunter

Postby caj93 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:59 pm

i dont really see the point in anyone trying to ask questions on here. no one wants to answer for some reason. i mean how hard is it to tell the man whether the lakes good or not? its supposed to be a forum yet no one wants to talk about anything. all they wanna do is crap on someones face for trying to do what the forum is meant for. discuss duck hunting and ask questions. God forbid that actually be allowed :fingerpt:
When the red river flows, take the dirt road home
caj93
hunter

Postby Team_Cut'em_All » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:23 pm

caj93 wrote:i dont really see the point in anyone trying to ask questions on here. no one wants to answer for some reason. i mean how hard is it to tell the man whether the lakes good or not? its supposed to be a forum yet no one wants to talk about anything. all they wanna do is crap on someones face for trying to do what the forum is meant for. discuss duck hunting and ask questions. God forbid that actually be allowed :fingerpt:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Good point Caj! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: They would hate to see all the help the Georgia forum gave me!
Choot'Em Mudda Fricka!
"Kill Ducks" If You Bait Them! They Will Come!
Team_Cut'em_All
hunter

Postby caj93 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:45 pm

good idea, maybe ill try out georgia forum cuz carolina**** wants to burn gas burn gas burn gas and crap on ppls face

**edited by mod**
caj93
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:38 am

Caj93....I think you have me confused with someone else. That's not what I said. You need to re-read the post. I promote talking about duck hunting. I wish the SC State forum would become more lively. Deliberate belligerency to the OP is what I was referring to. Now...if you want to keep up the name calling and personal attacks then you won't be here much longer.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby caj93 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:17 pm

carolinagreenhead wrote:Caj93....I think you have me confused with someone else. That's not what I said. You need to re-read the post. I promote talking about duck hunting. I wish the SC State forum would become more lively. Deliberate belligerency to the OP is what I was referring to. Now...if you want to keep up the name calling and personal attacks then you won't be here much longer.

i wasnt directing that towards you. it wasnt directed towards anyone specifically. i meant to put a space between carolina and the rest. and it was supposed to be plural. referring to most ppl in the forum. but i apologize for the name calling. won't happen again. :thumbsup:
caj93
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:35 pm

caj93 wrote:
carolinagreenhead wrote:Caj93....I think you have me confused with someone else. That's not what I said. You need to re-read the post. I promote talking about duck hunting. I wish the SC State forum would become more lively. Deliberate belligerency to the OP is what I was referring to. Now...if you want to keep up the name calling and personal attacks then you won't be here much longer.

i wasnt directing that towards you. it wasnt directed towards anyone specifically. i meant to put a space between carolina and the rest. and it was supposed to be plural. referring to most ppl in the forum. but i apologize for the name calling. won't happen again. :thumbsup:

I'm not gonna create an argument here but it was directed at me. I just edited the name calling part out that was directed at me. Now...I've said my peace and it's done as far as I'm concerned. Let's get back to Clark Hill.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Clarks Hill Lake

Postby Duckcommander727 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:20 pm

Go scout.

carolinagreenhead wrote:That was uncalled for karter. He's not asking for spots, just general info. This isn't the SCDUCKS forum!

What's wrong with SCDUCKS?
Nick Roehl wrote:Anymore of it on the open forum will result in a 2 week time out. You know the type you give to children when they won't listen.
Duckcommander727
hunter

Postby UpSouth811 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:32 pm

clarks hill is not better no worse than any lake in the upstate...takes a lot of scouting to be successful...they may be here one day and gone the next
UpSouth811
hunter

Postby caj93 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:50 pm

UpSouth811 wrote:clarks hill is not better no worse than any lake in the upstate...takes a lot of scouting to be successful...they may be here one day and gone the next

agreed. me and my buddies have been studyin the lakes and rivers upstate around the clock 24/7 just to try and decide where to start
caj93
hunter

Postby whistlingwings » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:59 pm

Man sad to see almost nobody wants to share general info. Why the heck even have a forum? "Go scout." Wow, what support; of course he needs to go scout, but before you actually get out there and waste time/gas/money, of course spend the time looking at maps, talking to people who know the area, etc. People on this forum are the people that know the area; if you aint gonna help, then shut your mouth, no need to be a d**k.

Shoot, go look at almost any other state forum (I've moved a lot in the last few years...) and this kind of info is readily shared. NO, not hunting spots, not at all, but general info for sure.

Haven't hunted SC in many years, but when I did I went out on Clarks Hill a few times, had quite a few friends that hunted it pretty often. Obviously it's big, ridiculous number of places to hunt, and every day the birds are somewhere different. Lots of geese. Make sure you've got a loud call so you can reach out to the birds far off. On any big lake, I luck to hunt points, put some deeks on the lake side, some deeks on the cove side. Read an article awhile back about some guys that kayak hunted geese on big lakes, not sure if it was Clarks Hill or not. Basically, they'd glass and find some geese near or in a cove. One guy would paddle toward the geese pushing them into the cove, the other guy would sit laid out in his kayak at the mouth of the cove. Geese get pressured to fly, usually out the mouth of the cove, and the one guy there gets a pass shooting shot. Thought it was interesting.

There, now who thinks that was too much info to give out in a forum. "Go scout." Sheesh, go get a life.
Nobody cares about your season totals. Especially if you pay to hunt private.
whistlingwings
hunter

Postby mark29860 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:53 pm

I can find a few geese and plenty of coots, tomorrow I will be scouting for crappie
mark29860
hunter

Postby creekgeek » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:38 am

Maybe I'm different but if I want to know what a lake looks like, I go look. I wouldn't trust anyone on the internet for any kind of information regarding birds. If they tell you there are birds there, most likely there is no birds to be found. If they tell you there are none, then there's a good chance there are some birds around. And I understand the cost of gas to get to these places is high, but make an all day trip out of the ordeal. Go hunt in the morning, ride/scout a little while and maybe do some fishing. Even if you don't kill any birds, you will know the answer to your questions.

And the reason folks don't like to divulge information: they have spent their hard earned money on gas and spent their time scouting. Why would they want to give it their hard earned information in return for nothing?

And here's a pro-tip for the ages: if you are interested in finding out if an area is holding birds, call whoever is in charge of said area. eg. To find out if birds on Clarks Hill, call the Corps of Engineers office and ask to speak one of the biologists. They will be straight foward with you - it's their job. The same goes for any WMA. Call the unit biologist in charge of the WMA and talk to him/her about it. They often have information on rivers and lakes in the area because they talk with some many folks.

Good luck finding the birds and have fun scouting!
creekgeek
hunter

Postby whistlingwings » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:20 pm

Totally fine to have that opinion creekgeek, but I'm just confused as to why some people who share that opinion with you feel like they need to chastise anybody who posts asking about a general area. If anybody ever asks "so where do you hunt exactly on lake XYZ" then yeah, burn em at the stake.

But I'd hope there are some people like me who don't mind sharing a bit of general knowledge about an area. Help others save some gas, time, and whatnot. If a buddy of mine asked me for some general info about an area, I sure as heck wouldn't tell him "go burn some gas and find out for yourself!" And I'm not even going to say that a random person on the internet, who takes waterfowl hunting seriously enough to get involved in a waterfowl forum. No problem with being selfish and keeping that info to yourself, just don't berate anybody asking for general info just because you don't like giving it out.

Talked to some guys that hunted the lake last week, nothing out there other than the odd few resident birds. Guess that's most of the state right now though....
whistlingwings
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:25 am

I talked to 3 different groups yesturday on hartwell and they all said the same thing...no birds, just residents. If we don't get some cold weather soon we're not going to have much of a season.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby mark29860 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:10 pm

maybe we should try and get a group together and go west
mark29860
hunter

Postby Spottail » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:17 pm

whistlingwings,

I fairly certain the guys in kayaks could be cited for rallying waterfowl.
It is illegal for one craft, a guy on foot, or anything of that nature to drive birds towards another person for the purpose of shooting.
teal and tailing reds make life worth living
Spottail
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:23 pm

Spottail wrote:whistlingwings,

I fairly certain the guys in kayaks could be cited for rallying waterfowl.
It is illegal for one craft, a guy on foot, or anything of that nature to drive birds towards another person for the purpose of shooting.

Where does it say that? Never heard that one before.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby creekgeek » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:16 am

whistlingwings wrote:Totally fine to have that opinion creekgeek, but I'm just confused as to why some people who share that opinion with you feel like they need to chastise anybody who posts asking about a general area. If anybody ever asks "so where do you hunt exactly on lake XYZ" then yeah, burn em at the stake.

But I'd hope there are some people like me who don't mind sharing a bit of general knowledge about an area. Help others save some gas, time, and whatnot. If a buddy of mine asked me for some general info about an area, I sure as heck wouldn't tell him "go burn some gas and find out for yourself!" And I'm not even going to say that a random person on the internet, who takes waterfowl hunting seriously enough to get involved in a waterfowl forum. No problem with being selfish and keeping that info to yourself, just don't berate anybody asking for general info just because you don't like giving it out.

Talked to some guys that hunted the lake last week, nothing out there other than the odd few resident birds. Guess that's most of the state right now though....

Whistlingwings, if you notice I didn't chastise anyone in my post. I too do not berate folks on the internet. Simply put, I was stating why I personally don't ask scouting questions on websites. And I was trying to help folks understand that any information gathered on the internet should be taken with a grain of salt. And MOST IMPORTANTLY, the best information can be obtained from the professionals working in the areas - HINT, HINT.

Most waterfowlers are very secretive by necessity -too many of them have been burned by taking a friend to a hole and then the friend takes a friend, who takes a friend, etc., etc, and then the guy who found the hole loses his hole. And I can see where this mentality expands from single holes to whole waterbodies. Just because specific areas aren't named, an influx of hunters to a lake because of a simple post of "I saw a raft of ringers on Clarks Hill today" can change the whole dynamics of the birds on a reservoir.

So while I definitely disagree with their methods of berating folks on the internet, I can agree with their intent of dissuading folks from divulging pertinent information for the whole world to see.

And Carolinagreenhead, as far as rallying goes here is what I found after a quick google search: "Rallying. You cannot hunt waterfowl that have been concentrated, driven, rallied, or stirred up with a motorized vehicle or sailboat."
From: http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/waterfow ... rview.html You would have to look through the actual code of laws to see if this extended to kayaks and the like. I doubt it bars the use of kayaks, if so it would also rule out sculling for ducks.
creekgeek
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:10 pm

I did not know that. Thank you.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby whistlingwings » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:45 pm

The article on kayak hunting was in a major magazine, front cover (can't remember what magazine, but it was definitely in the last year or two). I'm pretty sure it's legal. Motorized boat, definitely not
whistlingwings
hunter

Postby Spottail » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:34 pm

It has nothing to do with the type of craft used.

You cannot purposely drive waterfowl to another person for the purpose of shooting.

You can paddle yourself into a cove and shoot the birds when they flush, but you cannot flush them for or towards another gunner.

It is rallying waterfowl, and it is illegal.
teal and tailing reds make life worth living
Spottail
hunter

Next

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting