A Duck Blind Date

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

A Duck Blind Date

Postby Craxty » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:39 pm

After scoogling on Google maps for potential places for weeks, I finally came down to what I thought was the most promising location for my first honey hole. Once I isolated it visually I started scouring the public online county records for ownership. I tracked down the necessary information and approached the individual that could grant my request to access my unfettered waterfowl wonderland. Much to my surprise, it was granted. My first, and most logical follow-up request was for them to not share her with anyone else. I now have my first private land with written permission.

So the other day I went to check her out for the first time. I have to admit it was much like a blind date. I checked her out online, she looked great. Very promising. Grass was trimmed around the edges, not too much over growth, easy access, and definitely wet in the middle. When I got there, much to my surprise, my honey hole was a little more wild than I had envisioned. Clearly, I was going to have to climb through some serious bush to get to the heart of her.

Honey Hole Bush.jpg

Once I tracked my way to the heart of her I have to say I very pleased. Her grace was subtle but unmistakable. Thank goodness she was not just a big wet hole, too deep to do anyone any good and too wide to attract anything but mosquitos. My first glance of her was just want I wanted to see. I stepped into her and she was just the right depth. I started to dream of all the woodys that I could get from her. I kept moving forward to see what other surprises she might unveil.

Opening.jpg

I just kept pushing forward hoping that she would not let me down. All of the sudden she just opened up. Without notice I was in the thicket of it. Flooded timber, deep burrows, and opens spaces. It felt really good. I stopped and took it all in and thought to myself. Damn, it's nice to have my private spot. This is such a unique location that this is most likely virgin territory. No one has ever duck hunted her before.

The Woods.jpg

I decided to leave her for now and return early in the morning to take her for the first ride.

I woke up early the next morning and jumped in my mobile waterfowl unit which had been carefully packed the night before. I arrived at my clandestine location for my very first rendezvous with my new girl. I slipped through the bush as quietly as I could heading back to the heart of it. I carefully and quietly waded through her water trenches and wet borrows. I made my way to the promised land and setup up shop in the darkness.

I waited quietly and patiently as dawn came. Sure as her promised portended 15 birds shot straight down from the sky like kamikazes and blasted into her solitude. Oh, I waited and watched. Time went on and I grew impatient. I was eager to get off a shot. I finally got tired of all this foreplay and I stood up and started walking to where the action was. It was still quite dark and I was making my way through new territory. Much to my surprise I came upon a structure in the middle of the flooded timber and accidentally gave it a bump. This in turn flushed all the birds to the sky. I struggled to bring my Benelli pump to my shoulder. I manage to squeeze off a couple of shots. I knocked down one bird.

As the light came to a reasonable level of view I started to investigate this bizarre structure that I ran into wich had through a major wrench right in the middle of my game. The more I looked at it the more I couldn't even believe it. It couldn't be anything other than an ancient duck blind in the middle of these woods. There was on other possible use for it. The timbers were cut log cabin style to fit into each other. It was made in such a way that it could be for any other purpose but to hide something. It broke my heart to find out that I was not her first one. There are no true virgins in the world of Honey Holes. I lifted my chin and gave myself a chuckle. After all, I still got one Woody this morning, and I intend to have more. I'll be back tomorrow. So what if she wasn't a virgin, who cares how many men have been here before, like most hunters, I really don't discriminate, when it comes to a new place to hunt.

Duck Blind.jpg

Craxty

Re: A Duck Blind Date

Postby Botiz630 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:32 am

I knew that's where this was going! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Congrats on the wood duck, Craxty!
B Squad Captain
If do right, no can defense
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby ducknazi » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:47 am

great story and analogy.

DN
ducknazi
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:43 pm

Ha! I just noticed "Scoogling" :lol3:
B Squad Captain
If do right, no can defense
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby alanwebfoot » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:56 am

great story Craxty ,,,stick withit! you have a true honeyhole there ,as long as your truck keeps showing up in the drive nobody else will probably even ask!!!!!!!!!!!!
alanwebfoot
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting