Killed my first turkey...

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Killed my first turkey...

Postby Coleman24 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:31 pm

sadly it is the only turkey.

No but for real haven't killed any yet, can't get it together... But it opened up this past weekend at School and I am going to give it a go again this year, any pointers on fall turkey? I know how to hunt them in the spring and everything I just didn't know if it was different for fall.
Coleman24
hunter

Re: Killed my first turkey...

Postby Cujo1 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:12 pm

Fall turkey hunting is a lot different than Spring. The biggest difference is the toms are not running around trying to find hot hens. The turkeys are also usually in bigger flocks and family groups. The most important thing for me is being able to find birds. I mean know where the birds roost, feed and loaf. The most effective way to hunt fall turkeys is to find a flock and flush them. I mean scare the crap out of them, run through them, yell or even shoot in the air. You want them to scatter, not just run away or fly away in a group. Then go a short distance the way they went and call them back. Say the same thing as the birds that are answering you and try to mimic their calls. Learn a kee kee and have solid hen yelp and you should be good. The toms will probably regroup later after the hens so stay patient, call sparingly and listen intently for turkeys. They do come in silent a lot so be ready. I use a cuttin 2.5 mouth call and I have found that if you run the call upside down it is real easy to kee kee and then just flip it back over for normal raspy hens. Good Luck! Oh by the way, killed a nice tom Saturday. :thumbsup:
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby Coleman24 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:28 pm

Nice!! thanks a lot I really appreciate it, going to give it a try on thursday!
Coleman24
hunter

Postby chinogoose » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:34 am

Got mine :yes: :yes: It was the only shot i had due to my work schedule didnt make it out. I hope you guy's where lucky :thumbsup:
Attachments
Picture 406.jpg
chinogoose
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum