Snow Goose Stew

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Snow Goose Stew

Postby tenfingergrip » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:21 pm

Well, we just got back from our annual month long trip to Saskatchewan and due to some harsh winter/spring/fall conditions in the southern/eastern part of the province, our usual late morning & early afternoon upland game (hungarian partridge and sharptail grouse) hunts were vertually eliminated. This gave us time or forced us to find other things to shoot. We shot a helluva lot of pigeons for the farmers but I don't have a good pigeon recipe to share, so I thought I'd share what I believe is the best recipe I've ever eaten for our other substitute gunning game.......the infamous "Sky Carp", the SNOW GOOSE.

Since we killed more than we wanted to take back home, we resorted to cooking them up for us and everybody else in the province! We had many farmers who had never eaten duck or goose tell us they may resort to shooting a few of those "vermin" just to fix the stew. This recipe was given to me on my first trip to Saskatchewan in 1985 by a lovely lady, Ivadell Kosior, the wife of a farmer who fixed it for us and it's really, really good....tastes just like beef stew. I call it my Saskatchewan Goose Stew. I hope you enjoy it. People who swear they don't like waterfowl love it! Serves 4-16

2-4 Fileted breasts of snow goose or more
Butter
Eggs 4-6
Flour
Italian Bread Crumbs
Creme of Mushroom soup 2-4 cans
Button Mushrooms 2 small cans
Onions 1-2 large sliced & ringed
4-6 large Potatoes sliced (optional)
salt & pepper

Take fileted breasts and cut into two inch cubes, roll cubes in flour with salt & pepper added, dip in beaten eggs, then coat in Italian bread crumbs. At this point you can go ahead and prepare the stew or you can freeze the goose breast cubes on a cookie sheet for later cooking. To prepare the stew, lightly brown the coated cubes on all side in a medium hot skillet in melted butter where the bread crumbs adhere to meat. Make sure you have plenty of butter. After you have browned all the cubes, place them in a large roasting pan, place onion slices on top, pour Creme of Mushroom soup and Button mushrooms over and add sliced potatoes if you are using. Put enough water over top to barely cover the goose and ingredients. Cover the roaster and place in a pre-heated oven at 350 degrees for one-half hour. After a half hour, turn down to 200 degrees for 3-4 hours. Serve over rice or mashed potatoes if you did not use potatoes in the stew. The longer it cooks at 200 the thicker the gravy. Really tender too!

If you don't have italian bread crumbs you can crush up crackers or any other coating mix and add your favorite spices (garlic powder, celery salt, paprika, etc) as a substitute. It's amazing how mild the snow goose is compared to Canada or duck.

Try it and let me know what you think.

I did bring back 50 as well as my 24 Canadas and 24 Mallards so we'll be having a big cooking in two weeks for about 60 folks and the Saskatchewan Goose Stew will be front and center.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking